Cannot publish mvc project by e2thedsquared

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 6/29/2012 7:55:49 AM

I get an error message :

Exception in executing publishing: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Haven't tried other projects to see if this is greater in scope than the project I'm working on. But, I plan to try publishing in VS 2010. Hopefully that will work.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/13/2012 at 4:51 PM
Hi e2thedsquared,

I have some good news! We've just released an update for VS2012 RC which contains the fix for this issue. You can find more information at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdevtools/archive/2012/07/12/visual-studio-2012-rc-web-tooling-extensions-update.aspx.

Thanks,
- Jimmy Lewis
SDET, Visual Web Developer team
Posted by e2thedsquared on 7/2/2012 at 11:13 AM
Hi Jimmy,

I removed the <clear /> and it worked perfectly. I use the clear on several projects, so it is really good to know what impact it has on publishing my projects. And that it will be resolved in the next release.

Thanks for the follow up.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/2/2012 at 10:40 AM
Hi e2thedsquared,

We had a bug in VS2010 RC where any elements under <connectionStrings> which didn't have a name attribute would cause this error, for example <clear />. If you remove the <clear> it should unblock you.

Does this describe your issue? If so, it has already been fixed internally and will be included in the next release of VS2012.

Thanks,
- Jimmy Lewis
SDET, Visual Web Developer team
Posted by Microsoft on 7/2/2012 at 12:34 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 11 and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for review. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/29/2012 at 8:48 AM
Posted by e2thedsquared on 7/2/2012 at 7:08 AM
I was able to publish in VS 2010. I tried again today to publish in 2012 RC, am still getting the same error.