Missing database diagram node in both SQL Server Object Explorer and Server Explorer Data Connection to same SQL Server by MartinRobins

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Opened: 6/30/2012 8:32:53 AM

When I connect VS2012RC to a SQL Server 2012 RTM database I do not see the "Database Diagram" node. If I connect to the same database from SSMS 2012 RTM, I can see the node and I can create/edit/delete diagrams.

Note that this is not the same as 735451 as this is using a full server database and not LocalDB.
Posted by lambman on 3/20/2013 at 2:11 PM
If this is truly not available you need to remove the documentation from the web.

Very confusing and frustrating, this functionality is core for designing databases. SSMS is attached to the actual underlying schema so you can't use that as a workaround when developing a 'to-be' data model.
Posted by NQFE on 2/22/2013 at 6:15 AM
Da sag ich nur "tolle Wurst". Das kann doch wohl nicht wahr sein. Auf den SSMS zu verweisen ist zwar nett, aber unter ASP.Net mit mdf-Dateien im App_Data Verzeichnis doch sehr umständlich.
Alleine zu Dokumentationszwecken sind Datenbankdiagramme unerläßlich. Großer "Bohei" um Application Lifecycle Management und noch nicht mal ein Datenbankdiagramm kann erstellt werden.

Forum-Thread:
Posted by Janet Yeilding on 7/6/2012 at 3:21 PM
I understand your frustration and I'll make sure that your comments are logged and passed on to my team. Please do keep in mind that SSMS can be used as a workaround, and let me know if you run into any other issues.

Thanks,
Janet Yeilding
janety at microsoft dot com
Posted by Martin.Robins on 7/6/2012 at 1:07 PM
Marvellous.

Yet another backward step with Visual Studio. Perhaps Microsoft should consider adding magic to their repetoire; now you see it, now you don't. I shall chalk this down to the same list as mobile device development (no not Windows Phone, the ones that sell).
Posted by Microsoft on 7/6/2012 at 10:46 AM
Hi Martin,

Thanks for contacting Microsoft. SQL Server Data Tools, which ships with VS 2012 RC, doesn't contain a database designer and it's not in product plans for the future. To get the functionality you're looking for, you can continue using SSMS. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Janet Yeilding
janety at microsoft dot com
Posted by Microsoft on 7/1/2012 at 10:42 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 6/30/2012 at 8:51 AM