Visual Studio 2012 autocomplete stops working by Brad Stark

Active

Opened: 8/22/2012 7:54:54 PM

The autocomplete for Visual Studio 2012 stops working in certain situations. I can't reproduce exactly what situations yet, but the only way to get it to start working again is to restart Visual Studio. I have seen it happen twice already in a 4 hour period.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/8/2013 at 11:09 AM
Please feel to reactivate this issue when you have the required information.
Regards
Harikrishna Menon
Program Manager
Posted by Microsoft on 3/5/2013 at 10:49 AM
Hi Brad,
        Thanks for reporting this issue. Can you try installing the latest Update 2 CTP (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36833) and let me know if this still reproes. We have made whole bunch of fixes around IntelliSense reliability in Update 2.
Regards
Harikrishna Menon
Program Manager
Posted by Microsoft on 12/21/2012 at 3:33 PM
Hello,

We are aware of one case where this can stop working. Could you tell us if the problem started when you were trying to get signature help for a method ?

Thanks,
Murali
Murali Krishna Hosabettu Kamalesha | Program Manager | Visual Studio Platform - Editor team
Posted by ROC Jake on 9/5/2012 at 6:50 PM
I can't say when it started, but I'm currently working on a XAML Windows Store app and I'm not getting any intellisense for my XAML markup. Works on the C# portion still though. Works after a restart of VS2012 however.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/23/2012 at 1:23 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 8/22/2012 at 8:51 PM
Posted by Morderen on 5/21/2013 at 5:06 AM
Hello,

I also had this problem.
I switched from VS2010 (completely uninstalled) to VS2012 on Win8, and sometimes while I'm typing code suddenly intellisense stops auto-completing until I restart VS.
Also, it seems that it starts working again if I close and open the .cs file again.

While googling for the solution, I stumbled upon this workaround:

In essence, you just have to delete or rename the folder with settings from previous versions of VS in
%AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio
and this seems to fix it permanently.