Memory leak in lsass.exe when using WCF with transport level security by Stef6

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 9/20/2012 7:01:17 AM

Connection between a client and server using WCF and transport level security results in a memory leak in the lass.exe process.
We are using .NET 3.5 and we see this issue only on Windows XP.
Posted by Stef6 on 11/13/2012 at 1:18 AM
I have now attached the test that I used to reproduce the issue. It contains a simple Server Console that contains the WCFHost and a Client Console that contains a while loop with a simple ping call.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/5/2012 at 2:23 PM
Please attach the project to this ticket using the "Attach a file" button.
Posted by Stef6 on 9/28/2012 at 12:56 AM
I have reproduced it on two machines, and anti virus software is running.
I can give you a small test project to reproduce, if you have some upload option.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/27/2012 at 11:45 AM
Are you sure that this machine and executable in particular is not infected by a virus? This doesn't look like a WCF issue.
Posted by Stef6 on 9/24/2012 at 7:35 AM
I would like to share additional information:

Originally, we were hunting a memory leak in our own process. We traced it back to using WCF with transport level security. One day, after installing Windows Updates, the memory leak was gone. We were about to pack up when I saw that this other process "lsass.exe" showed abnormal memory consumption. I don't know whether it had the behaviour the whole time or only after the updates, we paid no attention to that process, up until then.

Furthermore, I am not able to make it reach the 2GB limit again. After 900MB (private bytes), the consumption stabilizes. But I definitely saw it happen on one machine.

Please note that the memory is not freed after closing my test process. For comparison: On Win7, we also saw a growth up to 250MB(private bytes), then it stagnated, and when I closed my process, the memory in lsass.exe was immediately back to 30MB.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/20/2012 at 10:58 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

We are rerouting this issue to the appropriate group within the Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/20/2012 at 7:52 AM