Debugging on remote server with vs2012 fails, with vs2010 it works, same configuration. Error: "Internal error in the expression evaluator." by JonasKellens

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 9/26/2012 5:57:44 AM

Hi,

I can "Attach To Process" with VS2012 on my Win7x64 to a remote server WIN8R2 x64. On that server runs an IIS with an ASP.NET application .NET3.5 (classic pool framework 2.0).
So I find my process called "w3wp.exe" and when attached i can debug it and step through my code. But I cannot see the DataTip or even inspect the variables, can add "Watch" but this gives error: "Internal error in the expression evaluator." This error also is seen when I use "Immediate Window". All my symbols are loaded (pdb files). There is no object or fuction I can inspect. while i move through my code, jumping from method to method.

When I do the same with VS2010 everything works!.

With VS2012 I debugged with success on my local machine, same project. But this I don't want. I want to debug on a remote server.
Posted by Almog Hazan on 7/4/2013 at 2:37 AM
Hi,

I've encountered this issue too,

I had VS 2012 (Update 2) on my local computer (Windows 7 SP1) and I tried to remote debug my server (Windows 2008 R2 SP1) with the remote debug tool that installed within the VS2013 installation (\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger) and I also get the message "Internal error in the expression evaluator when i tried to evaluate expressions using Immediate window and/or Watch window.

After searching for resolution I found this post very helpful and I installed the "Remote Tools for Visual Studio 2012 Update 2 from here:
on the server.
with this version of remote debug I succeed to evaluate expressions while debugging the remote server.

Today I installed Update 3 for VS 2013 and I tried to remote debugging within this version,
I've copied the new remote debug version again from here:
\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger
and with that version I getting the error "Internal error in the expression evaluator" again.

I was expecting that with the new VS update (3) I will succeed to remote debug.
I tried to dig a little bit and I found that in remote debug update 3 there is older Dlls than remote debug update 2.
The following shows us the file versions between the VS updates:

msvsmon.exe
VS 2012 update 2: 11.0.060315.1
Remote Tools for Visual Studio 2012 Update 2: 11.0.60315.1
VS 2012 update 3: 11.0.60610.1
(here we can see that the msvsmon.exe is the newest in update 3 like it suppose to be)

GpuDebugEngine.dll
VS 2012 update 2: 11.0.50727.1
Remote Tools for Visual Studio 2012 Update 2: 11.0.60315.1
VS 2012 update 3: 11.0.50727.1
(here we can see that the newest version of GpuDebugEngine.dll is in the Remote Tools installation.
It's seems like is was fixed in that "Hot fix" version but in the next version (Update 3) the dll was taken from the "broken" version (Update 2) and therefore with Update 3 version i gets the error again.

I will appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks in advance,
Posted by Gregg Miskelly on 5/10/2013 at 11:14 AM
David you are correct, it looks like we only patched the GAC VS copy.

I would recommend installing the remote debugger instead of running it off a share if you run into this problem:

Gregg Miskelly.
Posted by David Lowndes on 5/10/2013 at 8:59 AM
I think this is only partially fixed in the updated version...

The DLLs installed to the GAC has been updated, but those in the shared directories (which allows you to run the remote debugger from just a network share), don't appear to be the same version.
Posted by JonasKellens on 2/7/2013 at 4:19 AM
Thanks Gregg!

Skeeler, I have not yet tested it. It's been a while and I did it with the old debugger when needed. But good to know it works with you! I'll keep your steps in mind.
Posted by skeeler on 2/3/2013 at 8:11 AM
Thanks Gregg for the information and update that it is the "Microsoft.VisualStudio.VIL.dll" file.
I was able to locate and extract it from the GAC on the Visual Studio development machine (after CTP installed) and copy it into the GAC on the remote debugging machine, and the expression evaluator is working now.

Steve Keeler
Posted by Microsoft on 1/31/2013 at 1:52 PM
Yes, this bug was fixed with the recently released Visual Studio 2012 Update 2 CTP. The final version of Update 2 will include a new remote debugger which you can install. Unless you are truly blocked, I would recommend waiting for that. But if you are truly blocked, I can tell you that the fix was in Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.VIL.dll and that this file is installed into the GAC on the Visual Studio computer. Proceed at your own risk.

Gregg Miskelly.

Posted by skeeler on 1/31/2013 at 9:59 AM
You're welcome. I ran into what appeared to be the same issue ("Internal error in the expression evaluator" while remote debugging a .NET 3.5 assembly) and tried installing the Visual Studio 2012 portion of the fix, but it did not help in my case. I suspected that the remote debugging files on the remote system might need to be updated as well and since the KB article does not have a download for the remote debugging tools installer I tried manually copying over the files from the patched development workstation to the remote system and restarting the remote debugging service. Unfortunately that did not help with my issue. I'm curious as to whether the fix worked for you, and if it did were there any special steps you performed?
Posted by JonasKellens on 1/31/2013 at 7:26 AM
Thank you skeeler! Without you I would not know it is fixed.
Posted by skeeler on 1/30/2013 at 11:01 AM
Appears to be fixed in Visual Studio 2012 Update 2 CTP 2, under "List of issues fixed" section of this KB article:
Posted by JonasKellens on 12/5/2012 at 12:36 AM
Great ! Looking forward to the fix!

Thanks for your help Gregg.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/4/2012 at 9:34 AM
Thanks for all your help Jonas. For the case of processes containing '<unknown>' modules, we were finally able to repro the problem and we have a fix, at least for the repro that we have. We are now considering when we can responsibly get the fix out. We will let you know once we know more. If you are blocked by this, the one possible work around that we have identified would be to debug with interop (managed+native). This is somewhat tricky to do as firewall and security settings make remote interop debugging hard. But if you are blocked by it, this may be useful. You can find more information on configuring the firewall here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee126350(v=VS.100).aspx

Gregg Miskelly
Visual Studio Debugger Dev
Posted by JonasKellens on 12/4/2012 at 12:53 AM
I added a screenshot of the modules in attachments.
Posted by JonasKellens on 12/4/2012 at 12:04 AM
Yes there are 2 modules <unknown>.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/3/2012 at 11:15 AM
When the problem happens, if you open the modules window, do you see an entry for a module with the named '<unknown>'?
Posted by JonasKellens on 12/3/2012 at 10:06 AM
Please stop referring to the Program Files (x86) there is no Remote Debugging Monitor installed in the Program Files(x86).

I can find everything in Program Files. When I try to install x86 debugger it throws error at installation that my server is 64bit(thats correct). I can run the x86 remote debugger in my Program Files(x64) but when i try to attach to the "w3wp.exe" process I get error:
"Unable to attach to the process. The 32bit version of the VS Remote Debugging Monitor (MSVSMON.EXE) cannot be used to debug 64-bit processes or 64-bit dumps. Please use the 64-bit version instead."
So I must use the 64bit version in the Program Files(x64). Do you want me to upload the Microsoft.VisualStudio.vil.dll on the remote machine?

I have reinstalled the Remote Debugger (with msi) not XCOPY.(I think I never copied it). It's still not working.
Also tried the repair mode.

ps: I'll upload the files now. Just to be sure.

Thanks for your support!
Hope this helps you.
Posted by Alexey Shcherbachev on 11/29/2012 at 4:14 AM
We have same problem. Basically VS2012 is useless for us, because we can't debug SharePoint 2010 applications since SharePoint 2010 won't run under .Net 4.0.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/21/2012 at 11:54 AM
Thanks for uploading the files. When you uploaded the files, from the remote machine you copied Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.Host.dll from (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64) and ((C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x86)
But you did not include file Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.dll from the above directories, we were wondering if you forgot to include those files as part of the attachment or if vil.dll is not found in those directories.
If it is not found in those directories, my question would be whether the vs2012 remote debugger in the remote machine was msi installed or xcopied?
If msi installed, can you repair the installation (or uninstall and reinstall) and see if vil.dll is present in both the directories.
If it is can your try the scenario again and let us know if it is fixed?
Posted by Microsoft on 11/21/2012 at 11:53 AM
(message continues in next post)
Posted by Microsoft on 11/21/2012 at 11:51 AM
If it is can your try the scenario again and let us know if it is fixed?
Posted by Microsoft on 11/21/2012 at 11:50 AM
(message continued in next post)
Posted by Microsoft on 11/21/2012 at 11:50 AM

(message continued in next post)
Posted by Microsoft on 11/21/2012 at 11:50 AM
(message continued in next post)
Posted by Microsoft on 11/21/2012 at 11:49 AM
If it is can your try the scenario again and let us know if it is fixed?
Posted by Microsoft on 11/21/2012 at 11:49 AM

If it is can your try the scenario again and let us know if it is fixed?

Posted by Microsoft on 11/21/2012 at 11:49 AM
Hey JonasKellens
If it is can your try the scenario again and let us know if it is fixed?

Posted by Microsoft on 11/21/2012 at 11:49 AM
Hey JonasKellens
If it is can your try the scenario again and let us know if it is fixed?

Thanks
Visual Studio debugger team
Posted by BACONputing on 10/23/2012 at 10:32 AM
I am using the RTM version of Visual Studio Professional 2012. The local and remote machines are both 64-bit Windows 7 Professional. I never had a pre-release version installed on either system.

I have run into this same problem on a solution targeting .NET 2.0. I tried changing the project to target .NET 3.0 and 3.5 and still had the same result. Only after installing .NET 4.5 on the remote machine and retargeting the project to .NET 4.0 or 4.5 was I able to see Autos, Locals, exception details, and other tooltip information while debugging.

I found that if I changed the project back to targeting .NET 2.0 and added <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.5" /> to the App.config file, all the features of debugging worked as expected when done remotely. So, it seems it has something to do with which version of the runtime is being used.
Posted by JonasKellens on 10/18/2012 at 9:03 AM
Files are uploaded now.
Posted by JonasKellens on 10/18/2012 at 9:01 AM
Hi,

Not sure what the client and server for you is. But my remote machine is a server and I had not a pre-release version on it of the remote debugger.
My local had never installed a pre-release version of VS 2012. (Reinstalled my windows 7 a while ago).

The remote machine has in the GAC no such files as you described (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.Host.dll and Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.dll).

Versions of vsdebugeng.manimpl.dll
local: 11.0.50727.1
remote x86: 11.0.50727.1
remote x64: 11.0.50727.1

I will upload all files now.

Thanks for your support!
Hope this helps you.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/17/2012 at 11:18 AM
(Sorry, previous reply was cut off)

- Can you upload Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.dll and Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.Host.dll in the GAC on both machines AND Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.dll and Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.Host.dll in the msvsmon directory on the remote machine (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64)?
- Can you tell me the versions of vsdebugeng.manimpl.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\common7\packages\debugger on the local machine and in the x64 remote debugger directory (i.e., C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64) on the remote machine? Also, if you can upload these it would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Posted by Microsoft on 10/17/2012 at 11:17 AM
Hi JonasKellens and novasbc,

- Has any pre-release version of VS 2012 ever been installed on either the client or server machine?
Posted by Microsoft on 10/17/2012 at 11:17 AM

Hi JonasKellens and novasbc,

I have a few questions:

Thanks!
Posted by Microsoft on 10/17/2012 at 11:15 AM
Hi JonasKellens and novasbc,

I have a few questions:
- Can you upload Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.dll and Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.Host.dll in the GAC on both machines AND the versions of Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.dll and Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.Host.dll in the msvsmon directory on the remote machine (i.e., C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64)? We primarily want the version numbers of these dlls, but if it only shows "11.0.0.0", it isn't too helpful to us.

Thanks!
Posted by Microsoft on 10/17/2012 at 11:15 AM
Hi JonasKellens and novasbc,

I have a few questions:
1) Has any pre-release version of VS 2012 ever been installed on either the client or server machine?
2) Can you upload Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.dll and Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.Host.dll in the GAC on both machines AND the versions of Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.dll and Microsoft.VisualStudio.Vil.Host.dll in the msvsmon directory on the remote machine (i.e., C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64)? We primarily want the version numbers of these dlls, but if it only shows "11.0.0.0", it isn't too helpful to us.
3) Can you tell me the versions of vsdebugeng.manimpl.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\common7\packages\debugger on the local machine and in the x64 remote debugger directory (i.e., C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64) on the remote machine? Also, if you can upload these it would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Posted by Microsoft on 10/17/2012 at 11:15 AM
Hi JonasKellens and novasbc,

I have a few questions/requests:

Thanks!
Posted by Microsoft on 10/17/2012 at 11:14 AM
Hi JonasKellens and novasbc,

I have a few questions/requests:
3) Can you tell me the versions of vsdebugeng.manimpl.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\common7\packages\debugger on the local machine and in the x64 remote debugger directory ((i.e., C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64)? ) on the remote machine? Also, if you can upload these it would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Posted by Microsoft on 10/17/2012 at 11:13 AM
Hi JonasKellens and novasbc,

I have a few questions/requests:

Thanks!
Posted by Microsoft on 10/17/2012 at 11:13 AM
Hi JonasKellens and novasbc,

I have a few questions/requests:

Thanks!
Posted by JonasKellens on 10/15/2012 at 3:15 AM
Changing to 4.0 or 4.5 is in my case not an option.. But good to know it's maybe the compatibility.
thanks!
Posted by novasbc on 10/11/2012 at 2:16 PM
I am also seeing the same symptoms as the original poster. I am not remotely connecting to a process under IIS however. I am directly connecting to an application UI and a service executable. I can step through code, but I cannot view variables, and under the watch, I get the "Internal error in the expression evaluator". On the call stack, I see the line numbers of the functions, but they say "Unknown Function", despite being able to view them all correctly.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/28/2012 at 1:15 AM
Thanks for your response. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by JonasKellens on 9/27/2012 at 5:26 AM
I submitted the video, have you received it?
Posted by JonasKellens on 9/27/2012 at 4:52 AM
Some blogs that almost have the same problem:

In visual studio 2010:

And another:

I hope this helps in finding the problem.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/27/2012 at 12:58 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please give us a video to demonstrate this issue so that we can conduct further research?

Please submit this information to us within 4 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Microsoft on 9/26/2012 at 6:52 AM
Posted by Gregg Miskelly on 5/10/2013 at 11:15 AM
Install the Update 2 remote debugger from:

Posted by BACONputing on 10/23/2012 at 10:35 AM
Forcing an application to use a newer runtime by adding the following...

<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.5" />

...under the /configuration/startup/ element of the .config file allows a project targeting .NET 2.0 (and likely 3.0 and 3.5) to be debugged remotely with the full functionality of the debugger.
Posted by novasbc on 10/12/2012 at 3:10 PM
If you are able to move to .NET 4.5, it appears to solve the problem debugging.

Once doing this, I see variables as one would normally expect, and can fully utilize the debugger.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size