Visual Studio 2012 loses settings when I open multiple instances by Matkubicki

as Deferred Help for as Deferred

Opened: 10/12/2012 6:59:10 AM

I commonly open several instances of Visual Studio at once (many client and server applications). I will be double clicking on several solutions in a row and then allowing them all to load, more than 50% of the time that I do this some of the last solutions to load will have reset to the default settings.

I can see this clearly as my settings involve spreading the various tool windows across my second monitor, but when the settings are lost I am back to a single monitor view.

If open the same VS solutions one by one (waiting until the loading projects 1/N screen appears) then I never see this problem.
Posted by Alexanderius on 4/14/2014 at 5:42 AM
Hello! Any updates on this issue? I have the same problem in visual studio 2013 (Update 1)
Posted by Kamarey on 7/31/2013 at 2:08 AM
I'm working with Visual Studio about 15 years and I can't remember if there was a time there was no problems/bugs with its settings. May be VS 6 worked well, or I just don't remember. In every new version presents bugs from previous one or they are replaced with new. Is it so difficult to stop this tradition?
Posted by Matkubicki on 3/14/2013 at 9:11 AM
Many Thanks! I look forward to seeing this fixed.

Regards,
Matt
Posted by Microsoft on 3/14/2013 at 9:02 AM
Greetings Matkubicki,

Thanks for sending us the bug. We have confirmed that this is an issue and have copied it to our work backlog. We'll address this issue as our schedule permits.

Thanks,

Malcolm Dickson
Posted by Microsoft on 2/8/2013 at 8:25 AM
Thank you. We are investigating.
Posted by Matkubicki on 2/7/2013 at 9:48 AM
Hi,

I hadn't been using VS Update 1 but I've just applied it and tried again and I still get this problem.

I've tried a number of different things to try and get a repeatable pattern for you today, i'm afraid the picture is a little muddy.
1) Before doing anything I open one solution by itself, all of my settings are present. I then close this solution with the X.
2) I then open my 4 solutions (see file I attached a while back for these) in quick succession, by quick I mean that I open all 4 solutions whilst the splash screen is still present for the first one.
3) I wait for all the solutions to fully load before doing anything with them.
4) Generally at least 1 of the solutions will have loaded with the default settings, it doesn't seem to be a particular solution, or the first I click on or the last.
5) At this stage I have 4 open solutions with a mix of good and bad settings.
6) I can then load another solution, it will open with the correct settings.
7) If I then close my solutions with the X and open a new solution it will have the default settings, if I want my settings back I will need to reload them from the Import Export wizard.

I'm not sure what you mean by a Watson bucket for this event, what event? None of the instances crash they just load with the wrong settings. I did look in the event viewer anyway and couldn't see anything under the normal Application, Security or System sections.

Thanks,
Matt
Posted by Microsoft on 2/6/2013 at 9:20 AM
Couple of questions for you:

1.    Is VS Update 1 installed?
2.    When the last instance of VS is open, does it have your desired settings or not?
3.    In the windows event viewer log, there should be a watson bucket associated with this event. Please let us know the Watson bucket number/ID.

Posted by Microsoft on 1/31/2013 at 10:01 AM
Thank you. We are investigating.
Malcolm
Posted by Matkubicki on 1/21/2013 at 3:06 AM
I'm generally closing the IDE with the close button to the top right of the window. Occasionally it closes automatically without me even knowing I want it to close (OK it crashes!) but this doesn't seem to increase the likely hood of seeing the problem on the next open.

I get this problem when I carry out the reproduction steps starting from the following situations:
-VS is already open with several instances
-No VS open after closing with window X
-No VS open after crashing

Regards,
Matt
Posted by Microsoft on 1/14/2013 at 8:34 AM
Greetings Matkubicki,

Thank you for filing a Connect bug. Apologies for the delayed response. How are you closing the IDE prior to re-opening you’re your solutions?

Malcolm Dickson
IDE Experience PM II
Posted by Matkubicki on 10/19/2012 at 2:55 AM
I've attached a set of project files that I have created to reproduce this problem. When I open the 4 solutions included in this zip file I can get the problem approx 25% of the time, the fact that this percentage is lower than I normally see would suggest that either the simple/smaller projects or the reduced number of projects in the solutions has made the problem less likely to occur.

I am still trying to get time to record the problem happening, and hopefully on a clean machine, so that I can send you more details.

Matthew
Posted by Microsoft on 10/19/2012 at 2:28 AM
Thanks for your feedback. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/15/2012 at 12:31 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided. Could you please give us a video or some screenshots to demonstrate this issue so that we can conduct further research?

Please submit this information to us within 4 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team