FatalExecutionEngineError with ASP.NET MVC4 after installing KB2769165 by Tomi Junnila

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

ID: 771929
Opened: 11/22/2012 2:43:33 AM

After installing KB2769165, ASP.NET MVC4 applications have started getting FatalExecutionEngineErrors (error code 0xc0000005) when loading the first page - VS2012 shows the exception being thrown from AreaRegistration.RegisterAllAreas() called from Application_Start.

Commenting out the RegisterAllAreas call causes the same error to be thrown somewhere between Application_Start (which does return) and the controller action. The only location on the call stack at the time of the error is mscorlib.dll!System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes() + 0x14 bytes.

This applies even with new MVC4 applications based on the Internet Application and Basic templates (probably any MVC4 application, really).

I get the same results on two different computers, one running Windows 8 Pro and the other one running Windows 8 Enterprise (on dissimilar hardware). The error shows up both when using IIS8 Express and the Visual Studio Development Server, and both when debugging or simply running the application without debugging.

The only workaround I have found is to uninstall and block KB2769165, which this works perfectly repeatably.
Posted by SteveAndrews on 7/7/2013 at 8:50 PM
Not fixed. I uninstalled the abovementioned update, but I am still getting FatalExecutionEngineError with ASP.NET MVC. None of my projects in various solutions will run. This happened today, and I didn't install anything.

I've tried loading symbols and debugging to get a better error message, but that doesn't seem to work for mscorlib.

Running Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 on Windows 8.
Posted by MGossling on 3/7/2013 at 10:49 AM
I have also just purchased a brand new PC running windows 8, based on the i7 processor family built by Lenovo.
In going a full system update to bring it up to speed for the first time I had to load up numerous Microsoft updates (around 40), but KB2769165 will just not load up at all and as it is flagged as an important update, I do not want to ignore it. I have tried everything I can think of and memory is not an issue as I have effectively an empty 2T drive and 16G ram. This comment chain is the only reference I can find to this problem, hence my request for any help or an update fix!
Currently the update will now not even allow me to select it so I can not run a screen grab for you.
Posted by Tomi Junnila on 3/5/2013 at 12:34 PM
Ok, I now managed to get one of the original two computers working enough to install KB2769165 on it, and I can't reproduce the issue on it either. As with the new computer from the previous comment, the computer has, in the interim, been updated to VS2012 Update 1 and all updates available from Windows Update, so I cannot say which of these has resolved the issue. (The other original computer no longer exists, so I can't test it.)
Posted by Tomi Junnila on 3/5/2013 at 12:15 PM
After posting the previous comment, I remembered that I just got a new computer on Friday, and while I'd installed VS2012 Update1 (plus Windows 8 Enterprise, 64-bit) on it, I hadn't blocked KB2769165 on it so it was installed.

I went through steps 1 & 2 above, and wasn't able to reproduce the issue. Thus, the issue may have been resolved by VS2012 Update 1 or one of the Windows Updates between KB2769165 and today.
Posted by Tomi Junnila on 3/5/2013 at 12:05 PM
I was using 64-bit Windows 8 (on both machines, though one was Pro and the other one was Enterprise), but back in November, Update 1 to VS 2012 wasn't out yet so I had "plain" VS 2012 (Ultimate) back then.

At this moment, I'm experiencing other problems that prevent me from trying KB2769165 again. I'll give it a try when I resolve those, so I can see if the problems occur for me with Update 1 as well.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/5/2013 at 11:57 AM
Hi, I have tried this on Win8(64bit) and VS 2012 Update1 and unable to repro this issue. Could you give us more details as to which versions of OS and Visual Studio are you using?
Posted by Microsoft on 11/22/2012 at 11:57 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

We are rerouting this issue to the appropriate group within the Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/22/2012 at 2:49 AM