Unable to start remote debugging on a Surface by Neil Enns

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

ID: 771990
Opened: 11/22/2012 12:25:00 PM

I'm trying to remote debug my application on a Surface device and am having trouble. It used to work, but for some reason it's not working anymore.

This used to work so I'm not sure why it won't start up anymore. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and also tried rebooting the Surface. No luck.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/20/2012 at 4:07 PM
Thanks for the report of the problem. We aren't sure quite why this happens to some people, but we understand how to work around the problem when it does. We hope to address this in a future update. In the mean time, please see the work around that I added.

Thanks,
Gregg Miskelly
Visual Studio Debugger
Posted by BullyOwner on 12/7/2012 at 9:14 AM
In Visual Studio 2012:
Double-click on the Package.appmanifest file.
On the "Packaging" tab, click 'Choose Certificate'.
In the "Configure Certificate" drop down box, pick 'Create Test Certificate'.

Rebuild and deploy.
Posted by Sergei Golubev on 11/26/2012 at 4:48 PM
Same issue. It worked very well a couple of days ago, bit not anymore, even with the latest Update 1.
Posted by Sebastian Parkitny on 11/22/2012 at 11:57 PM
It's the same for me. I deployed a Windows Store App on my Surface Tablet but for some reason I'm not able to deploy anymore. I even resetted my tablet and so deleted all windows updates but nothing. I need to mention that I only have a temporary developer license till 28.12.2012, but for now I should work.

Please help, the issue is preventing me of developing software for the windows store.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/22/2012 at 6:54 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/22/2012 at 12:51 PM
Posted by Gregg Miskelly on 12/20/2012 at 3:57 PM
For anyone running into the error:
    Unable to configure this computer to allow remote debugging. The parameter is incorrect.

Here is the work around:
1. If running, close the remote debugger

2. Run 'wf.msc' from the Windows start page, or from Winkey + R

2. The Windows Firewall admin tool should start. Switch to 'Inbound Rules'.

3. Find the rules with name 'Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor'

4. Delete these rules