Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate crashes immediately after installation by Vincenzo3ty

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

ID: 772073
Opened: 11/23/2012 7:14:14 PM

Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate crashes immediately after installation
Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 1/14/2013 at 1:00 PM
I have reinstalled the OS and PTVS, and the PTVS is working fine now. Thank you.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/3/2013 at 11:38 AM
Apologies for the delay. We are trying to reproduce the issue. Can you please provide a list of applications installed on your machine? Thank you.

Malcolm Dickson
VS IDE Experience Program Manager II
Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 12/20/2012 at 1:13 PM
It's back to square one -- the reinstallation of VS2012 failed. The program crashes at launch.

(I have followed the procedure (force remove) listed on: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2771441
and reinstalled the VS2012.)

I would appreciate any suggestions.
Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 12/19/2012 at 9:57 PM
I will wait one more day for any suggestions/comments, then I will attempt to reinstall the whole VS2012+PTVS2012 for the last time. Is there any particular way to remove the installed applications, and reinstall them? Or, is it best to reinstall the OS? I have a feeling that reinstalling the OS would not resolve this issue, as the same issue was encountered earlier when VS2010+PTVS2010 were installed on this PC immediately after an OS reinstall. In any case, there is still a possibility that currently installed VS2012 is corrupted. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to properly re-install VS2012 and Python Tool for Visual Studio 2012. Do I need to reinstall the .Net runtime also? Thank you.
Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 12/19/2012 at 11:10 AM
This work around seems have worked, after five attempts of "repairing" or "uninstalling"-and-'reinstalling'. There was something wrong with a component program (VS2010...runtime...) that the installer was trying to install. I tired reinstalling the failed component, uninstalling and reinstalling it. Since it did not help, I had reinstalled the VS2012, and ran as the Admin. Finally, VS2012 stayed open without crashing at launch, although the response of the program appeared sluggish. I could even open a python source code in VS2012 without crashing. Then, I installed the Python Tool for Visual Studio and its prerequisites. Now, a python code cannot be opened in VS2012 – it crashes as before. VS2012 crashes every time when a python code editor or interpreter is started. I wonder if I have an incomplete installation of VS2012 or of PTVS2012. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/18/2012 at 1:04 AM
After changing the permissions on the key, can you attempt a "repair" of the VS Installation?
I've learned of an issue that might cause ACLs on registry keys to become confused. If you've reset the ACL, the repair should put the required data back in the keys.
Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 12/15/2012 at 9:25 AM
I did try what you mentioned:
[1] The VS2012 crashes the same way, regardless.
[2] I changed the permission setting for the registry key, but it seems there is no data in the specified path.

Posted by Microsoft on 12/14/2012 at 4:07 PM
I've taken a look. - there's a couple things left to try:

1) did you try running Visual Studio as administrator? (Right-click on the Visual Studio icon in the start menu and select Run as Administrator.)
2) Can you look at the registry key that you cannot access and look at the permissions? Can you (or the admin group) take ownership of that key using regedit. (Right-click on the key to access permissions).

Thanks,
Art Leonard
Visual Studio IDE Team
Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 12/14/2012 at 7:19 AM
VS2012. There was no log file, as described earlier -- tried running the Repair/Change, then a new error message poped open at the end of the Repair process --> this process created the log file that you are looking for. I have uploaded the log file and a screenshot of the error message.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/13/2012 at 9:51 PM
Sorry for the delay.

What edition of VS are you working with? (there should be a log lie dd_vs_*.log from the original installation). We're trying to figure out why you were denied access to those subkeys.

Another thought - have you tried running Visual Studio as an administrator on this machine?

Thanks,
Art Leonard
Visual Studio IDE Team
Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 12/13/2012 at 3:54 PM
What's the status -- any solution for this issue? I would appreciate a prompt response. There was an issue with VS2010 on this machine, so it was decided to re-install a newer version of VS(2012). The main aim is to use VS2012 with the Python Tool. If it is going to take a long time for this issue to be resolved, I will need to explore for other non-MS options/software. Thanks.
Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 12/10/2012 at 6:33 PM
No, I do not see any log file for dd_vs_ultimate*.log, but several KB2*_2*_19*-Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate -ENU-MSP0.txt files. There was a VS2010 installed on this machine, but it was removed before installing VS2012. Also, .Net4.5 was temporarily downgraded to .Net4.0 in order to install a CAD program (which required the .Net4.0 at the time of installation.)
Posted by Microsoft on 12/10/2012 at 5:17 PM
Do you have setup logs for visual studio in your %temp% folder? They would be named something like: dd_vs_ultimate_*_vs_*.log
Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 12/10/2012 at 3:34 PM
The first one is inaccessible -- error message says: "An error is preventing this key from being opened. Details: Access is denied." The second registry does not exist. I have uploaded the screen captures in a zip file, containig the capture of the error message for the first one and of the regeditor for the second. Thank you for looking into this.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/10/2012 at 2:54 PM
Could you upload the registry entries from HKCR\Wow6432Node\Interface\{20705D94-A39B-4741-B5E1-041C5985EF61} and HKCR\Interface\{20705D94-A39B-4741-B5E1-041C5985EF61}? We think there may be another component interfering with normal visual studio registration, but we're not sure yet.

Thanks,
Art Leonard
Microsoft Visual Studio IDE team
Posted by Microsoft on 12/10/2012 at 1:51 AM
Thank you - we're taking another look.
Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 12/7/2012 at 1:51 PM
Hi, Thank you for your reply.

I have uploaded the crash dump again. Also, I enclosed the screenshot of a VS2012 crash/freeze again. If I close the frozen VS2012 window, I cannot create the dump file, as devenv.exe disappears from the taskmrg*32's list. As you see in the edge of the screenshot, taskmrg*32 is creating the dump file when the devenv.exe is crashed/frozen. Just to be sure, I reproduced the crash multiple times in a sequence, hoping that it would capture the crash message.

Also, I have uploaded an XML temp file being created (which disappears after the dump file is being generated) while the taskmrg*32 is writing the dump file. It seems to contain some error messages.

Thank you for looking into this.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/7/2012 at 10:38 AM
Hello,

Looking at the dump, I'm not seeing a crash in the dump. I'm seeing file access on multiple threads, but no crash. When VS crashes, are you seeing the crash dialog show up, or does visual studio "hang"? it's possible that the dump was collected before the crash happened.

Art Leonard
Visual Studio IDE Team
Posted by Microsoft on 12/7/2012 at 2:09 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 12/6/2012 at 6:47 AM
I have uploaded the zip file containing the dump file, generated from the 32bit taskmrg.exe. I look forward to hearing from you for workarounds to the issue. I am hoping to get the program running ASAP, or else I would need to reinstall the OS again although this is currently not an option due to the time constraint. Thank you for your prompt reply in advance.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/6/2012 at 12:43 AM
Thanks for your quick response. Could you please collect dumps of 32-bit process. I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

We should use 32-bit version of Debugger like Debug diag x86 to collect manual dumps for 32-bit process on 64-bit server. Using 64-bit Debugger or task manager will create a 64-bit dump. This will have dump of the syswow64 and it won't allow extensions like psscor, sos to read it properly in windbg and addresses are 64 bit addresses [even though process is 32-bit].

Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 have a built-in 32-bit task manager under C:\Windows\SysWOW64\taskmgr.exe. We can use this and select "Create Dump File" for 32-bit process. To confirm we are using 32-bit task manager, check the process name of it. It should be taskmgr.exe *32

Please upload a 32bit devenv's dump. Please zip the file and use "FeedbackID-772073" as prefix of the file name.

Thanks for your time!
Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 12/5/2012 at 8:32 AM
I just uploaded the zip file containing the dump file. Thanks for looking into this in advance.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/5/2012 at 12:28 AM
Hi,

There are many ways to collect dump file in the link I provided before. Could you please creating a dump using Task Manager?
Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 12/4/2012 at 6:09 AM
As I have noted in earlier messages (submitted with the zip files), "procdump.exe" does not seem to work properly -- it does not recognize the "devenv.exe", even when both of the executables are placed in the same folder. I would appreciate a prompt and concise response.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/4/2012 at 1:29 AM
Thank you for your quick response. The extension name of the dump file is dmp. Please refer to the following link to collect dump file

Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 11/30/2012 at 6:39 AM
I just uploaded the file again (this time, the logs are in Text/XML format). Let me know if that is all you need. Thanks.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/30/2012 at 1:11 AM
Thank you for your quick response. Could you please provide a dump file of this issue? This bug is not actionable if we do not have the dump file. Thank you very much!
Posted by Vincenzo3ty on 11/28/2012 at 6:06 AM
I have uploaded a zip file and a message yesterday. The web page stated that the file was successfully uploaded. Have you not received it? Thanks.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/28/2012 at 1:27 AM
I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going on your end. If you could get back to me at your earliest convenience with information I request, we will be able to make headway towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/26/2012 at 12:35 AM
Thanks for your feedback. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

It may help if you provide us with Bucket ID, a dump file and call stack.

Bucket ID:
1.    Open Event Viewer
2.    Click on Windows Logs -> Application
3.    Search for a 1001 event that occurred soon after you encountered the crash
4.    The bucket ID should be available in the event details
(there may be multiple 1001 events for any given crash - only one will have the bucket ID)
Dump File and Callstack:
You can get detailed steps about how to get the dump file and call stack at http://blogs.msdn.com/debugger/archive/2009/12/30/what-is-a-dump-and-how-do-i-create-one.aspx

************************************************************
Please zip the file and use "FeedbackID-772073" as prefix of the file name.

************************************************************
You can use the following workspace to upload the file:
Password is #HaqmwwA{D_M)D

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team