Advertised shortcuts (Windows Installer shortcuts) scale poorly on Windows 8 Desktop by Perter

Active

Opened: 12/4/2012 7:07:42 AM

Please see connect ID 772739 - I have added more details. I have talked to microsoft support as advised and they have told me to come back to Studio support (case 1189236108). I am not keen on getting bounced around support - is there someone technical that can take a look at this please?

This could be a Win 8 problem but support says it is the development tools...please escalate so it is looked at by someone technical! I have tried to tell them myself - can someone champion this for me within Microsft please?
Posted by Microsoft on 5/17/2013 at 10:16 AM
Hi Perter,

I followed up on this with Flexera and they have confirmed that the issue is with Windows Installer and they can't address this. The Windows Installer team is aware of the issue but I have no visibility into what their plans are. Because this is external to VS I'm closing this issue.

Tony Goodhew,
Program Manager, VS Pro.
Posted by Perter on 4/8/2013 at 7:54 AM
There are two types of shortcuts you can create in Windows; 'advertised' and 'non-advertised'. This issue was caused by the one type 'advertised shortcuts' (shortcuts created by Windows Installer). It didn't matter if their creation was triggered by InstallShield or the old VS deployment. It's the Windows Installer that creates them and Win 8 that is on my machine which was interpreting them incorrectly. The appear squished compared to the non-advertised shortcuts...the issue may be Win 8 but they already rejected this before. We were forced to create non-advertised shortcuts which was not desirable but were left no choice
Posted by Microsoft on 4/8/2013 at 7:26 AM
Hi Perter,

Please ignore the comment about the issue number, I was thinking about another ISLE report I had.

Thansk,

Tony Goodhew,
Program Manager, VS Pro.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/8/2013 at 7:12 AM
Hi Perter,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you on this. I've just taken ownership of the InstallShield relationship and been assigned this issue. Please let me know if you're still experiencing this and I'll take it up with Flexera.

If you happen to have the issue number you referred to that would be great as well (the one where Flexera said it was already recorded with us).

Thanks,

Tony Goodhew,
Program Manager, VS Pro.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/4/2012 at 9:29 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
By the way, i can not confirm whether the development team will support your issue or not.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/4/2012 at 7:51 AM