Visual Studio 2012 Xaml Editor Freezes by Austin Dimmer

as External Help for as External

Opened: 12/10/2012 1:26:54 AM

I am frequently observing that my entire IDE freezes for a few minutes whenever I close a Xaml file.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/4/2013 at 6:32 PM
Hi Austin,

DevExpress have released a daily build that they believe addresses the issue. Can you please try the release located at:

Please follow-up with DevExpress if the issue still exists at:

As the issue is in the DevExpress product I'm closing this as resolved external meaning that the problem wasn't in VS. Please reactivate if your exploration with DevExpress indicates VS again.

Thanks,

Tony Goodhew,
Program Manager, VS Pro
Posted by Microsoft on 12/11/2012 at 9:34 AM
Thanks Austin. This looks to a an issue with TFS & DevExpress. I have asked CSS to route this to the TFS team. In the meantime , you should also talk to the DevExpress guys about it. I certain if you disable Code Rush , You will see some perf improvement in this scenario.
Posted by Austin Dimmer on 12/11/2012 at 12:47 AM
Hi Harikrishna,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have emailed you a trace. I hope it is useful.

Best wishes

Austin
Posted by Microsoft on 12/10/2012 at 6:50 PM
Hi Austin,
         Thanks for reporting this issue. In order to investigate this issue further. Can you do the following and the information to me at harikm@microsoft (SkyDrive perhaps?). Make sure you have installed the Update 1 pack for Visual Studio

* Make sure you can repro the issue. Leave at least 1 XAML files open that exhibit this behavior
* Open a new Instance of VS.
* In the Analyze top level menu , use the Profiler - Attach option and attach to the VS instance and XDescProc
* Close the file in the VS instance.
* Stop the profiler.

If you can send me the profiler output that can help narrow the issue down for us. Please feel free to contact me directly at harikm@microsoft.com for this or any other XAML tooling issue.

Regards
Harikrishna Menon
Program Manager

Posted by Microsoft on 12/10/2012 at 4:31 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/10/2012 at 1:50 AM
Posted by DonovanH on 7/23/2013 at 9:04 PM
You can disable the built-in XAML designer:

Right-click on a XAML file in the Solution Explorer
    Select "Open With..."
    Select "Source Code (Text) Editor"
    Click on "Set as Default"
    Click OK
    You're done!

I got this tip from this link:

Posted by Austin Dimmer on 12/11/2012 at 12:48 AM
Terminate the XDescProc using Task Manager or Process Explorer.