XAML Designer - Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.RemoteException by jaytarolli

Active

Opened: 12/10/2012 8:22:53 PM

Initially, everything was working fine for a couple of months. Recently, though, I've been consistently getting these exceptions when working in the XAML designer. When I first open an XAML document, the designer loads as usual, but once I click on a particular control, the exception is thrown. Reloading the designer does just that, but the exception is still thrown when clicking on that control. The message associated with the exception is:

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: sp

Originally, I thought this was only occurring with controls which were either custom controls or which I had applied a style to. However, some styled controls work fine in the designer, while other built in controls do not.

I should note that my project compiles absolutely fine. No build errors are reported and the build succeeds. No exceptions are thrown at runtime, nor do I see any unexpected results in terms of styling and functionality.

I have this problem on two separate PCs. Both run Visual Studio 2012 Professional. One PC runs Windows 8 Professional and the other Windows 8 Enterprise. Neither version of Windows 8 is a preview or RC, they both are the actual releases.

I've attached the data from three logs in the Event Viewer for a particular occurrance.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/29/2014 at 12:31 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. This issue has been fixed in Visual Studio 2013. You can install a trial version of Visual Studio 2013 with the fix from: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9832436
Posted by Microsoft on 1/21/2013 at 2:04 PM
Hey Brian,

This issue has been fixed, can you please send me an email at navits at microsoft dot com and I can share the fix.
Posted by Brian Niels Bergh on 1/16/2013 at 2:41 PM
I have the exact same issue. Been working on a WPF project for a while without any problems. Then i installed InstallShield LE, and added a setup project "dang...same error as you describe with the Invalid parameter: sp" when ever i add a custom control in any window. It Works find at runtime, but the designer crashes. - After removing the setup project, everything is fine. - I have tested, if i "remove project", it Works right away, if i Again add existing project, the designer crashes Again right away.....Im using the "final" product. very dissapointed to see that this error has been around since the RC and still no solution - just can't be right!?
Posted by Microsoft on 12/26/2012 at 3:44 PM
Hi Jaytarolli,

We have fixed this issue on our end, can you please get in touch with me and I can share the bits for you to verify your controls. Get in touch with me at navits at microsoft dot com.

Posted by Microsoft on 12/17/2012 at 2:09 AM
Hi jaytarolli, thanks for your response. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/17/2012 at 2:09 AM
Posted by jaytarolli on 12/14/2012 at 4:11 PM
I uploaded a demo project I put together quickly using a custom control I built that would crash the XAML designer when clicked. I added the control to MainWindow, and was able to click, focus, open the context menu, etc. using the XAML designer. I then added the Setup project, and went back to the XAML designer, and the crash occurred when I clicked on the control as before.
Posted by jaytarolli on 12/14/2012 at 3:58 PM
Sorry for taking a while to get back to you. I had to reinstall Windows 8 on my office PC. When I finished, the project I had been working on opened fine and I had no problem with the controls or the XAML designer, but still had the problem on the other PC. When I tried creating a dummy project to send you, I couldn't replicate the problem, even if I copied the XAML of the control (the Ribbon in a RibbonWindow) to the new project directly. It took a couple days. but I finally realized the only difference is I had installed InstallShield 2012 on both machines and created a Setup project for the program. When i reinstalled Windows 8 on the one machine, I didn't get a chance to reinstall InstallShield. On the PC that wasn't working, I removed the setup project from the solution, restarted Visual Studio, and sure enough I have no problem using the XAML designer. When I add the setup project back to the solution, the XAML designer crashes again.

I removed the setup project again, and this time created a brand new setup project. Before I did any customization to it, other than opening the Getting Started window, I opened the XAML designer and the designer crashed again.

I can't really pinpoint what exactly is causing the problem, except that when I have a setup project from InstallShield 2012 added to my solution, the XAML designer crashes, and when it is removed (even without a restart of Visual Studio), the XAML designer works fine. I know InstallShield isn't Microsoft, so I understand you probably won't be able to help me much, but it is what Visual Studio tells you to download and install to create a setup project, so it may be worth looking into. Thanks for your help.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/12/2012 at 10:55 PM
Hi jaytarolli, we want to remind you we need a demo project. Please attach it in time. Thanks
Posted by Microsoft on 12/12/2012 at 2:40 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting a demo project. Please submit this information to us within 4 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/10/2012 at 8:51 PM