Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 crashes when attaching to IE in Windows 8 by Tamori

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 12/10/2012 11:54:12 PM

I'm writing an 32 bit IE BHO in C++ and wanted to debug it on a Windows 8 64 bit
I started IE and then attached to it's running process
When I place a breakpoint in my code Visual Studio crashes (presumabely when it had hit the brakpoint)

Following what I read in the reported issue "Visual Studio 2012 crashes immediately when trying to start or attach to our own native x32 app" I enabled 'native edit-n-continue' and it DID solve the problem, however, the crash itself was supposedly fixed with Update 1
Also, I don't believe that my code has binary version information (how can I tell ?) so maybe the problem is with IE version resources ?
Posted by Microsoft on 12/18/2012 at 6:08 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 12/18/2012 at 12:18 AM
Please go to C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\VSFeedbackTool\Feedbacks to check if you can find the dump file.

If not, please use the following steps to collect dump.

hi, please do the following:
1. Start Visual Studio

2. go to Tools | Options | Debugging
- Enable ".NET Framework source stepping"
- Enable "Source Server support"
- Enable "Step over properties and operators (Managed only)"
- Disable "Enable Just My Code"
3. Start another instance of VS in order to repro the issue.
4. In the first instance click Tools | Attach to Process...
5. In the list of processes locate devenv.exe.
6. Click OK and OK to close Select dialog and Attach to Process dialog.
7. Try to reproduce this issue. When you exception happen, go to the first instance of VS, click Debug, save the dump file with heap.
Posted by Tamori on 12/17/2012 at 3:03 AM
Where can I find the zip file to be uploaded ?
I could not find it
Posted by Microsoft on 12/17/2012 at 12:17 AM
Hi Tamori,

Please zip the file and use "FeedbackID-773995" as prefix of the file name.

You can use the following workspace to upload the file:
Password is #HaqmwwA{D_M)D

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Tamori on 12/16/2012 at 12:51 AM
I am unable to upload files from the tool
It claims that there is either a network error or that I'm trying to update a report that I don't own
Posted by Microsoft on 12/14/2012 at 1:48 AM
I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going on your end. If you could get back to me at your earliest convenience with information I request, we will be able to make headway towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/11/2012 at 1:18 AM
Thanks for your feedback. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please give us dump of this issue so that we can conduct further research?

Visual Studio now has an extension called Visual Studio 11 Feedback Tool , available on the VS gallery(http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/f8a5aac8-0418-4f88-9d34-bdbe2c4cfe72).

The extension allows you to
1.    upload files,
2.    collect trace and dump files
3.    collect steps while you're repro'ing the issue, as well as
4.    SQM logs about VS extensions installed
5.    System details (in DxDiag output)

We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team