Visual Studio 2012 - Toolbox - Choose Items... Dialog will not Display by Gerardo Melendrez

Active

Opened: 12/12/2012 12:22:02 PM

Hello,

When I right click on the Visual Studio 2012 Toolbox and select Choose Items..., the Choose Toolbox Items dialog doesn't show up.

The behavior is:

The text "Loading 'Choose Toolbox Items' dialog..." will display on the status bar, and will remain there until the focus get lost from the screen, by either clicking another window in Visual Studio, or by clicking a different application in Windows.

I performed a Visual Studio repair from Programs and Features, and that didn't help.

I also ran Visual Studio 2012 as an Administrator and that didn't help either.

In the past I installed Visual Studio 2012 Beta, and currently I have installed the Professional Version, with Update 1 on it.

When I right click on a .sln file in Windows Explorer, and select Open With from the menu, the option to open the solution in Visual Studio 2012 is shown as Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Beta.
Posted by PunkVal on 1/8/2014 at 12:56 PM
I also could not get "Choose Toolbox Items" dialog to display. It would show me "Loading 'Choose Toolbox Items' dialog", and then the message would go away in about a minute or two with no new dialog. I did in fact have Install Shield Spring 2012 installed... licensed, not trial version. I uninstalled and the dialog box now displays immediately.
Posted by Euristika on 3/7/2013 at 6:55 PM
I just uninstall InstallShield Spring 2012, InstallShield Spring 2012 express both are trial version and now the choose item toolbox popup immediately. :-)
Posted by Gerardo Melendrez on 3/5/2013 at 10:56 AM
Thank you!
Posted by Microsoft on 3/5/2013 at 10:45 AM
Thanks for checking so quickly Gerardo. We're going to look into following up with InstallShield to further investigate.

Thanks again for your help,
Cathy Sullivan
Posted by Gerardo Melendrez on 3/5/2013 at 10:41 AM
Ok, I also had InstallShield Spring 2012 edition installed, and that was totally the reason of the issue. As soon as I uninstalled it, the Choose Items... Dialog worked again. Thanks a lot for the support and help.
Posted by Gerardo Melendrez on 3/5/2013 at 10:09 AM
As a matter of fact, I do have InstallShield installed. Let me uninstall it a give it a try.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/5/2013 at 9:43 AM
Hi Folks - Does anyone here by chance have InstallShield installed? The customer we were working with uninstall it and the issue does not reproduce for him. I am wondering if this solves anyone else's issue too. Please let us know. Thank you!
Posted by Microsoft on 3/5/2013 at 9:42 AM
Posted by Microsoft on 2/28/2013 at 1:22 PM
Hi Folks - We were able to find someone who could get the team a dump and have identified the root cause of this issue. We have another Connect bug that is identical to this issue. I'm going to close out this bug and we're going to use this bug (https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/779207/vs-2012-toolbox-choose-items-dialog-does-not-work) to track and hopefully address the issue. Please keep tabs on that bug to see the status of the bug/work.

Thanks,
Cathy Sullivan
VS IDE Team
Posted by Microsoft on 2/25/2013 at 9:53 AM
Hi Gerardo - If you could still collect a mini dump that would be helpful: follow the instructions at http://blogs.msdn.com/kirillosenkov/archive/2008/12/07/how-to-debug-crashes-and-hangs.aspx to create a dump? Once you’ve created the dump file, please attach to the bug. If the file is too big, let me know and we’ll set up a workspace for it.

Thanks,
Cathy Sullivan
VS IDE Team
Posted by Euristika on 2/24/2013 at 5:39 PM
I did it, there is no extension enabled or installed... and with the designer or with no designer open I have the same result.. the Loading 'Choose Toolbox Item' dialog... appear and then disappear... There is any other way to have access to
screen...

Just to share some other experience, few week ago I had a problem in a server with Backup Exec ... a screen asking for a connection to other servers doesn't show up because one font wasn't installed.... I installed the missing font and the form show up. The curious thing the errors messages in application log doesn't mentions any font missing just display a .Net Rumtime error.

Posted by Microsoft on 2/21/2013 at 3:19 PM
Hi Euristika - Can you try disabling all the extensions you have installed and also do you have a designer open when you're trying to use the ToolBox?

Thanks!
Posted by Euristika on 2/21/2013 at 3:09 PM
I have the same problem, I tried every suggestion , may be the only difference is I have a new laptop running Window 8 Pro. I really need to solve this problem to start using the ajax controls.
Posted by Gerardo Melendrez on 2/20/2013 at 3:28 PM
Thank you!

Update:

Running Visual Studio as an Administrator doesn't enable the Disable buttons.
And the issue happens whether I have a designer open or not.

Regards,
Posted by Microsoft on 2/20/2013 at 10:37 AM
Thanks Gerado. Could you try running Visual Studio as an admin and then check if you're able to disable the extensions you have installed? Also, do you happen to have any designers active when you bring up Choose Toolbox Items dialog? Thanks!
Posted by Gerardo Melendrez on 2/19/2013 at 1:42 PM
I only see the option to uninstall in some cases, and some cases none of the 2 options (Uninstall or Disable,) problably I need to go to Add/Remove programs or something.

So, should I need to actually uninstall the extensions for this test?

I currently have install the following extensions with the specified options available:

AnkhSVN (No Disable, No Uninstall)
Concurrency Visualizer (Just Uninstall)
Microsoft Web Developer Tools (No Disable, No Uninstall)
NuGet Package Manager (Just Disable)
Visual Studio Extensions for Windows Library (No Disable, No Uninstall)
Visual Studio PerfWatson (Uninstall)

Thanks,
Posted by Microsoft on 2/19/2013 at 9:43 AM
Hmm - let me follow up with one of the developers on my team. Could you try disabling all extensions you have installed? Go to Tools | Extensions & Updates and disable each extension installed. Restart VS and then try to reproduce the issue.

Thank you!
Posted by Gerardo Melendrez on 2/19/2013 at 9:36 AM
Hello,

I will be happy to provide more information about this issues.

I looked at the steps to create the crash dump, however there is no application crashing on my side, it's actually Visual Studio just not doing what it suppose to do when I select "Choose Items..." from the menu. Visual Studio is not crashing either.

Is the crash dump still applies in this scenario? If not, is there any other information you would like me to send?

Thanks,
Posted by Microsoft on 2/19/2013 at 8:47 AM
If anyone is able to provide us a crash dump, we'll be able to further investigate this issue. Right now, we are unable to reproduce it on our end.

Thank you!!
Posted by Microsoft on 2/12/2013 at 11:43 AM
Hi Gerardo - In order to help us diagnose this issue, we’ll need to get a crash dump from you. Can you follow the instructions at http://blogs.msdn.com/kirillosenkov/archive/2008/12/07/how-to-debug-crashes-and-hangs.aspx to create a dump? Once you’ve created the dump file, please attach to the bug. If the file is too big, let me know and we’ll set up a workspace for it.

Thanks,
Cathy Sullivan
VS IDE Team
Posted by kainous1 on 2/1/2013 at 11:31 AM
I'm seeing this issue as well. I have disabled all extensions (/safemode), and I have tried to repair the installation, and also do a reinstall. All attempts in vain so far.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/21/2013 at 9:39 AM
Since we have not heard back from you we will be resolving this issue as Not Repro. If you still need additional assistance with this issue, please let us know and we can reactivate this bug.
Thanks again for using Visual Studio!

Thanks,
Cathy Sullivan
Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Experience Team
Posted by Microsoft on 1/4/2013 at 2:09 PM
Hi Gerardo,

Thanks for reporting this issue and using Visual Studio. It sounds like you might still have the Beta version of Visual Studio 2012 installed. If you do, could you please uninstall it and then install the RTM version.

Please let us know if you are able to reproduce this issue once you have RTM installed.

Thanks,
Cathy Sullivan
VS IDE Team
Posted by Microsoft on 12/24/2012 at 1:11 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Gerardo Melendrez on 12/21/2012 at 10:33 AM
Hello,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I did what is suggested (Exported settings, Reset Settings and devenv /resetuserdata) and unfortunately that didn't fix the problem.

I also attached, as requested, my exported zipped settings file.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Posted by ProgrammingStuff on 12/18/2012 at 9:37 AM
I am having the same issue. Reinstalling Visual Studio 2012 and reseting user settings do not solve the issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/17/2012 at 12:21 AM
I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going on your end. If you could get back to me at your earliest convenience with information I request, we will be able to make headway towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/13/2012 at 12:24 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.

In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Please export and reset environment settings file by clicking Tools-> Import and Export Settings. If this issue does not persist after that, please zip the settings file and send it to us so that we can conduct further.

Please try this (from a Visual Studio command prompt with devenv in the path):

devenv /resetuserdata

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Microsoft on 12/12/2012 at 12:51 PM
Posted by Gerardo Melendrez on 3/5/2013 at 10:42 AM
If you have InstallShield Spring 2012 installed, uninstall it. That fixes the problem.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size