Fail to launch and install visual studio 2012 professional / premium on windows 8 professional by Ronald Proman

Active

Opened: 1/4/2013 2:21:58 AM

I installed VS 2012 Premium on my new machine with windows 8 professional and afterwards it would not launch. I only got the top of the Black logo screen with the title. It show for hours and does nothing.

So i tried to de-install via configuration panel: same result, top of the Black logo screen with the title.
So i tried to relaunch the installation by executing vs-premium.exe from the installation disk : same result, top of the Black logo screen with the title
So I tried the same with VS2012 Professional : same result , top of the Black logo screen with the title.

So I removed all directories where vs2012 was installed : same result, top of the Black logo screen with the title

Installing VS 2010 hangs also does not respond to anything

So I removed the entries from the registry : same result, top of the Black logo screen with the title
Posted by Microsoft on 1/21/2013 at 9:41 AM
Hi Ronald - Thanks for the quick follow up. I'll go ahead and resolve this bug and if you experience additional issues, please don't hestiate to follow up on this thread and we can reactivate the bug for you.

Thanks for using Visual Studio!

Thanks,
Cathy Sullivan
VS IDE Team
Posted by Ronald Schaap on 1/14/2013 at 1:08 AM
The screenshot I sent you was shown for about 4 hours before I decided to kill the process.

I was not able to reinstall visual studio because it had the same problem when I started the Setup from disc or DVD or tried a reinstall from the configuration screen.

So finally I reinstalled my my complete Windows 8. After that I reinstalled VS 2012 and now everything works OK.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/11/2013 at 9:21 AM
Hi Ronald,

Thanks for using Visual Studio and reporting this issue. Could you attach a screenshot of what you see when the launch hangs? Then unfortunately, you need to reinstall Visual Studio and then try to reproduce your issue again. From there, please try enabling software rendering on your machine. To do this, go to Tools > Options in Visual Studio and on the first page uncheck “Automatically adjust visual experience…” and check “Use hardware graphics acceleration if available.”

Please let us know if you were able to unblock yourself and launch Visual Studio successfully.

Thanks,
Cathy Sullivan
VS IDE Team
Posted by Microsoft on 1/8/2013 at 12:54 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Ronald Proman on 1/7/2013 at 2:56 AM
As you asked the files have been sent to you. The *.winprf files are zipped in one file because they were not accepted otherwise.

Gr Ronald
Posted by Microsoft on 1/6/2013 at 6:27 PM
Hi Ronald,

Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

It may help if you provide us with:

I. a copy of all *.winperf files from "{SystemDrive}:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0” directory.

II. a setup log file
You can get the log files with the following steps:
1) Download collect.exe from the link below. http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043
2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
3) The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team