My VS 2012 crashes after deployment to Start screen by MarkRichter

Opened: 1/17/2013 10:37:40 AM

The background is that I'm attempting to incorporate a WinRT app in to my team's prototype. I have Windows 8 Pro running in VM Player 5. I installed VS 2012 and Update 1. This is my first time working with both Windows 8 and VS 2012.

I created a new project using the Blank App (XAML) template for C#. It builds successfully but crashes after deployment to the Start screen due to a AccessViolationException. The app does get deployed to the Start screen and I can run the app there, but development and debugging will be a hassel if I can't figure this out. I tried running VS as administrator, toying with build configuration, and looking for all the updates I could find in regards to Windows 8 and VS. A C# console app buids and executes as expected within VS. I've tried 3 empty WinRT apps all with the same result, with one being a Split App. I uninstalled and reinstalled VS. I have not gone so far as to create a new Windows 8 instance. Any thoughts on what to try next?

The event viewer shows this stack trace...

Application: devenv.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
Stack:
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ImmersiveProjectServices.Shared.NativeMethods.HeapFree(IntPtr, UInt32, IntPtr)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ImmersiveProjectServices.Shared.NativeMethods.FwSidAndAttributesFree(UInt32, IntPtr)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ImmersiveProjectServices.Shared.FirewallShim.SetNetworkLoopback(System.String, Microsoft.VisualStudio.ImmersiveProjectServices.Shared.NetworkLoopbackState)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ImmersiveProjectServices.Shared.LocalDeployJob.SetNetworkLoopback(System.String, Microsoft.VisualStudio.ImmersiveProjectServices.Shared.NetworkLoopbackState)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ImmersiveProjectServices.Shared.RegisterAppxLayout.Start(Boolean, Boolean, Microsoft.VisualStudio.ImmersiveProjectServices.Shared.NetworkLoopbackState, Boolean, System.String ByRef, System.String ByRef, System.Exception ByRef)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ImmersiveProjectServices.IdeDeployJob.Start()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ImmersiveProjectServices.ImmersiveProjectDeploy.RunDeploy(System.Object)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecutionContextCallback(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(System.Threading.Tasks.Task ByRef)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean)
at System.Threading.Tasks.ThreadPoolTaskScheduler.LongRunningThreadWork(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(System.Object)
Posted by Microsoft on 4/29/2014 at 12:29 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. This issue has been fixed in Visual Studio 2013. You can install a trial version of Visual Studio 2013 with the fix from: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9832436
Posted by Microsoft on 2/7/2013 at 4:57 PM
Glad to have helped. From the screenshot it does appear that you were running a Checked build instead of a Retail one. That was likely the source of the issue.
Posted by MarkRichter on 2/4/2013 at 7:54 AM
I found event ID 6009 and attached a screen shot.

Last week I downloaded Windows 8 from MSDN (Enterprise version) and created a new VM. I haven't had any of these problems with it. I think you can close this item. Let me know if you'd like anything else from me. Thank you for your help.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/28/2013 at 10:26 AM
You can find out if you are running a retail version of Windows or a Checked/Debug version of windows by following the instructions here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/5738.windows-checked-build.aspx#Determining_System_Build.
Posted by MarkRichter on 1/28/2013 at 7:30 AM
It would appear likely. The system settings read...

Windows 8 Pro
© 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Debug

I'll download Windows 8 from MSDN and create a new VM today.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/25/2013 at 10:29 AM
Hello, are you running Checked Debug build of Windows 8?
Posted by Microsoft on 1/23/2013 at 12:45 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 1/17/2013 at 6:24 PM
Thanks for your feedback. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please give us a dump file and call stack so that we can conduct further research?

Visual Studio now has an extension called Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Feedback Tool, available on the VS gallery(http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/f8a5aac8-0418-4f88-9d34-bdbe2c4cfe72).

The extension allows you to
1. upload files,
2. collect trace and dump files
3. collect steps while you're repro'ing the issue, as well as
4. SQM logs about VS extensions installed
5. System details (in DxDiag output)

Please submit this information to us within 4 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team