"Unable to launch the IIS Express Web server" even though I can see the IIS express process started by WSBrianDeng

Opened: 1/29/2013 9:21:44 AM

I'm working on a sharepoint app (provider-hosted). I can launch the main app project in debug mode just fine, the problem is I want to debug the Web project so I can step through server side code. When I set the Web project as my startup and try to Debug, I get the message above about IIS Express. I can see the iisexpress process running and it is listening on the port I specified in the project settings. Don't know why VS2012 doesn't recognize it as being started.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/7/2013 at 4:24 PM
Hi,

The web project will be associated with the app for SharePoint project when you create a provider-hosted app.When you press F5 to debug, the app will be installed and will be redirected to the web project running locally in the IIS Express. If you change the default 'Startup Behaviour', then this will be broken. Since it is an provider-hosted project, your code will be in the web project. So, you will be debugging the code in the web project. Changing the Startup project to be only the web project in an autohosted or provider-hosted app is not a supported scneario.

Thanks,
Chakkaradeep, Program Manager, Office Developer Tools.
Posted by WSBrianDeng on 2/4/2013 at 1:16 PM
After building a new VM and *not* installing VS 2012 Update 1, I appear to have it working OK now. I don't know if the problem is specifically with VS 2012 Update 1, but I believe that is the only difference between the 2 VMs.
Posted by WSBrianDeng on 2/4/2013 at 7:33 AM
Sorry, but your link was not helpful. I have gone through all of this. I'm actually building a Provider-hosted app, as opposed to an auto-hosted one. When I debug the main project (not the 'Web' project) it works fine (launches IISExpress, deploys the app, and the app runs OK). However, when I set the 'Web' project as the startup project (because I want to debug the code in there), I get an error message 'Unable to launch the IIS Express Web server' even though prior to this message I can see IISexpress.exe running and I can also see that it is listening on the port I have specified. For some reason, after a specific timeout period it thinks that IISExpress is not running and therefore reports that it cannot start IISExpress. After this the process stops and IISexpress is subsequently shut down.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/1/2013 at 12:12 PM
Hi,

Thanks for submitting feedback. To debug your web project's code in an autohosted project, you still have to have both app for SharePoint project and the web project as startup projects. When you press F5, Visual Studio will deploy your app for SharePoint and start the web project in your local IIS Express. For more information on how to work with autohosted apps in SharePoint 2013, please refer to the following link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/apps/fp179886.aspx

Thanks,
Chakkaradeep, Program Manager, Office Developer Tools.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/29/2013 at 6:51 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/29/2013 at 9:50 AM