VS.NET 2010 and VS.NET 2012 crash when copying/altering BindingSource with System.Type as DataSource by Frans Bouma - Solutions Design bv

Active

Opened: 1/30/2013 5:19:20 AM

When copying or altering a BindingSource control on a Windows Forms user control or form in a .NET 4.0 Windows Forms project which has System.Type set as DataSource, it will crash VS.NET 2012 (StackOverflow exception). VS.NET 2010 will also crash with the same code if .NET 4.5 is installed.

On a system with .NET 4.0 installed and not .NET 4.5 installed, this works OK in VS.NET 2010.

Debugging the crash suggested a System.StackOverFlowException. It's likely this is caused by the fact in .NET 4.5 System.Type has new subtypes, while it's an in-place install over .NET 4.0, so it will likely affect code which expects .NET 4.0 class hierarchies but gets .NET 4.5 class hierarchies, but that's a wild guess.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/4/2014 at 12:42 PM
Hi Frans,

I apologize for the lack of clarity. This bug is fixed in the next update for the .Net Framework, not in the Visual Studio. Release date is not available yet.

Thanks again, and please keep the feedback coming.
The Windows Forms Team
Posted by Microsoft on 2/4/2014 at 12:42 PM
Hi Frans,

Thanks again, and please keep the feedback coming.
The Windows Forms Team
Posted by Frans Bouma - Solutions Design bv on 2/4/2014 at 3:19 AM
Reopened, as it's still not fixed. VS.NET 2013 still crashes with this bug. I lost 2 hours again this morning as I totally forgot about this issue, as it also manifests itself when saving a dialog with a bindingsource on System.Type. I finally remembered when I tried to recreate the control to see whether the issue would go away but when copying all controls over I immediately ran into this issue again, and cherry picking the controls while pressing control-C, I could determine the culprit and then remembered the problem.

Hey, Microsoft, why not fix issues like this? I now can't update a control with new UI elements because the control crashes the whole IDE. And at least be polite enough to reply to a paying customer who 1) lost time because of this and 2) reported an issue to you so you could fix it.
Posted by Frans Bouma - Solutions Design bv on 11/5/2013 at 12:21 AM
I got an email from the connect system saying the resolution was set to 'Fixed', however it still shows as 'active'. Is it fixed? And the 'next version', is that VSNET 2013, or VSNET 2014?
Posted by Microsoft on 11/4/2013 at 4:55 PM
Thank you for your feedback. We are able to reproduce this issue and are considering fixing the issue in our next release.

Many customers have found it useful to discuss issues like this in the forums (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx) where Microsoft and other members of the community can suggest workarounds.  Please keep the feedback coming.

Thanks,
The Windows Forms Team
Posted by Frans Bouma - Solutions Design bv on 2/1/2013 at 6:23 AM
I found the location, and have attached a zip file with the one which walks you through all the steps to reproduce it. Not visible to others outside MS. If you don't see the file, please let me know.
Posted by Frans Bouma - Solutions Design bv on 2/1/2013 at 6:16 AM
I tried the extension, recorded a repro twice, but it fails to upload it, it complains about some error, not saying what error, nor does it allow me to re-upload the recorded files (I have no clue where they are, there's no indication where they're located).

Could someone tell me where these files are located, and update the extension to allow one to re-upload the files and at least show more info about the error? If I know where the files are located I can manually attach them.

Anyway, anyone following the simple steps I described will immediately run into the crash when he tries to save the form.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/31/2013 at 12:00 AM
Hi Frans,

Thanks for your feedback. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please use Visual Studio 11 Feedback Tool to collect steps while you're repro'ing the issue?

Visual Studio now has an extension called Visual Studio 11 Feedback Tool , available on the VS gallery(http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/f8a5aac8-0418-4f88-9d34-bdbe2c4cfe72).

The extension allows you to
1.    upload files,
2.    collect trace and dump files
3.    collect steps while you're repro'ing the issue, as well as
4.    SQM logs about VS extensions installed
5.    System details (in DxDiag output)

We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team