CSC, Internal Compiler Error CS0583 cannot be resolved by dev-mt

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 2/13/2013 4:24:36 PM

C# compiler fails if /debug flag is set. Error messages:

Microsoft (R) Visual C# Compiler version 4.0.30319.17929

for Microsoft (R) .NET Framework 4.5
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

error CS0583: Internal Compiler Error (0xc0000005 at address 01360391): likely culprit is 'CODEGEN'.

An internal error has occurred in the compiler. To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed below. Locations at the top of the list are closer to the point at which the internal error occurred. Errors such as this can be reported to Microsoft by using the /errorreport option.

Program.cs(5,28): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'CODEGEN' symbol 'ErrorDemo.Program.Main()'
Program.cs(5,28): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE' symbol 'ErrorDemo.Program.Main()'
Program.cs(4,11): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE' symbol 'ErrorDemo.Program'
Program.cs(3,11): error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE' symbol 'ErrorDemo'
Program.cs: error CS0584: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE' symbol '<global namespace>'
Program.cs: error CS0586: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE'
error CS0587: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'COMPILE'
error CS0587: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'EMIT'
error CS0587: Internal Compiler Error: stage 'BEGIN'

Some web sources suggest to remove any *.PDB files to resolve the issue, however, in this case there weren't any. It even happens with the most trivial "Hello World" console app.

I've removed and re-installed _everything_ related to VS, however to no avail. Machine has the latest Windows Updates installed.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/24/2013 at 9:41 PM
Hello,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue you're describing. A C# Compiler ICE stands for Internal Compiler Error, which usually indicates that the compiler was given data it cannot parse. Since your program was rather simple and straightforward, it's possible that something deeper in the machine was corrupted.

I'm going to mark this bug as Not Repro but if you see it again, please file another bug so that we can diagnose further.

Thanks,
David Sterling
Visual C# Compiler Test Lead
Posted by dev-mt on 3/8/2013 at 5:06 AM
It was a relatively clean machine, in addition to VS2012 I only had 3-4 standard programs installed. The problem persisted even after uninstalling _everything_ VS-related and re-installing VS2012. The OS is Win8-x64, and the problem only occurred with the 32-bit version of the C# compiler, and only with the Debug option enabled.

Since I urgently needed that machine for work purposes and because I hadn't received any feedback for too long, I resolved the issue by repairing my Windows-8 installation (which obviously comes with the big disadvantage of me having to reinstall my entire development environment, something I'd quite liked to have avoided). So far, after the OS repair, the C# compiler is working again, but I'm now quite suspicious of using VS2012 on Windows 8.

Previously, I did reproduce the problem with the "/errorreport:send" option, so if that worked you should have a record in some database. Generally, I would prefer if the C# compiler provided a diagnostic log output to make it easier to track down the origin of such issues. I felt quite lost with the minimal standard output I was receiving.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/7/2013 at 6:13 PM
Hello,

I'm unable to reproduce your issue. Is this a clean machine that just has VS 2012 on it? Are their any other details you can provide?

David Sterling
Posted by dev-mt on 2/24/2013 at 2:40 AM
Just want to add a few more findings. The problems only occurs with the 32-Bit version of CSC (i.e., not the one in the /Framework64 directory on a 64-Bit Windows), and also only when compiler optimizations are turned off "/o-" AND debugging is enabled "/debug" (does not occur with "/debug /o" or "/o" or "/o-"). This issue is very critical for me and I'd really appreciate any feedback!
Posted by Microsoft on 2/15/2013 at 12:25 AM

Thanks for your feedback.
Posted by dev-mt on 2/14/2013 at 1:58 AM
Please see the file I attached. This literally happens with ANY project, no matter how small or large, on the command-line, in VS, and in LINQPad - whenever the '/debug' option is turned on. As stated, I re-installed VS2012 completely, and that didn't help. There is no other version of VS installed. Is this a Windows 8 problem?
Posted by Microsoft on 2/14/2013 at 1:03 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

It may help if you provide us with a demo project.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Microsoft on 2/14/2013 at 12:59 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 2/13/2013 at 4:52 PM