Visual Studio hangs when starting 'Graphics Diagnostics' if "Productivity Power Tools 2012" enabled. by cole anstey

Active

Opened: 2/19/2013 11:18:09 AM

Clicking 'Start Diagnostics' from the 'Graphics' toolbar of Visual Studio 2012 to debug a c++ DirectX11 (non-metro) win32 application will usually cause the IDE to permanently hang.
It only does this if the "Productivity Power Tools 2012" (Nov 12 and Feb13) extension is installed and enabled. If you're lucky it will start a debug session and the executable's window will appear.
If you are unlucky VS hangs and you have to kill the process from 'Task Manager' . It does not even get as far as a break-point placed at the start of winMain().
If you disable this extension then it appears to start-up a debug session correctly every time.

The only other extensions I have (which all have grayed out 'Disable') are...
AnkhSVN
Microsoft Web Developer Tools
NuGet package Manager
Visual Studio Extensions for Windows Library for JavaScript
Posted by cole anstey on 3/5/2014 at 12:01 AM
Hi. I now have VS 2013 Update1 with ProPowerTools2013 v12.0.30129.0 and have needed to do some Graphics debugging again.
Unfortunately the same thing happens.
It either hangs trying to start a diagnostic session; or if it does start it hangs after you do a 'Print screen' to capture the diagnostic information.
Disabling the extension allows it to work. I have tried enabling and disabling it few times just to make sure this was the case and wasn't a fluke.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/16/2013 at 5:10 PM
Thanks for your feedback

The next release of the ProPowerTools is going to have a fix for this issue

Carl Brochu |VS Team
Posted by Ian Jirka on 7/6/2013 at 1:50 PM
Repros for me with VS 2012 Update 3
Posted by cole anstey on 3/7/2013 at 11:12 PM
It happened again today.
Posted by cole anstey on 3/5/2013 at 10:22 AM
It appears that 'Update 2 CTP 4' has been released and the incorrect .exe removed.
I installed the newer 'VS2012.2 CTP.exe' and the problem now seems to be resolved.
Posted by cole anstey on 2/27/2013 at 11:26 AM
Just a thought; but I did a quick search and KB2707250 as per the downloaded vsupdate_KB2707250.exe and it appears to be for update 1?

I downloaded this .exe from the url...
...with the page title of "Visual Studio 2012 Update 2 CTP 3"

Has someone linked to the the older "Update 1" .exe up rather than the newer "Update 2 CTP 3" .exe?
Posted by cole anstey on 2/27/2013 at 11:19 AM
Hi Rich, I downloaded and applied vsupdate_KB2707250.exe as requested.
I rebuilt everything just to be on the safe side. Enabled the extension again.
Unfortunately exactly the same things happens.
Sometimes you get lucky and the 'Graphics Diagnostics' starts; more often than not it just hangs VS.
If I disable "Productivity Power Tools 2012" then everything's fine.
Anything else you want me to try?
Posted by rchiodo - MSFT on 2/26/2013 at 3:37 PM
Hi colè, I work on the VS Graphics Debugger team.

We were able to repro your issue and we believe we have a fix for this in VS Update 2 CTP 3. You can download the fix here:

Please try that out and let us know how it goes

Thanks

- Rich Chiodo, VS Graphics Dev
Posted by Microsoft on 2/26/2013 at 1:40 AM
Hi colè,

We didn't get your dump file, please zip the file and use "FeedbackID-779521" as prefix of the file name. You can use the following workspace to upload the file:
Password: aKUsg]Fk{epF

Thanks,
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by cole anstey on 2/24/2013 at 1:07 AM
The Visual Studio 2012 Feedback Tool appears to be working today.
Let me know if the already provided dump file isn't good enough.
Posted by cole anstey on 2/20/2013 at 9:20 AM
Unfortunately I did what you requested but every time I tried to launch the feedback tool it displays...

There was an error launching Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Feedback Tool.
Please Try again later.

Initially I did think it may be this first hanging VS instance messing it up...but it wasn't.
So I'm not sure if you have another problem there or not?

Anyhow to get around this I've attached another instance of VS to the hanging VS process.
Paused it, and did a "Save Dump As" from the "Debug" menu which I guess achieves the same result.
I've attached the zipped up devenv.dmp for your perusal.

Thanks for looking.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/20/2013 at 1:56 AM
Thanks for your feedback. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please give us a dump file and call stack so that we can conduct further research?

Visual Studio now has an extension called Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Feedback Tool, available on the VS gallery(http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/f8a5aac8-0418-4f88-9d34-bdbe2c4cfe72).

The extension allows you to
1. upload files,
2. collect trace and dump files
3. collect steps while you're repro'ing the issue, as well as
4. SQM logs about VS extensions installed
5. System details (in DxDiag output)

Please submit this information to us within 4 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team