VS2012 Graphics Debugger causes program crash when using Deferred ID3D11DeviceContext by MWassmer42

Opened: 2/19/2013 12:26:40 PM

I'm trying to multi-thread our renderer with deferred contexts and ID3D11CommandLists. I'm currently doing so with no warnings or errors from the debug layer, however I'm still not seeing anything.

To debug it I tried PIX, which correctly captures the frame, but shows no information about the internals of a commandlist. In hopes of getting more info I tried the VS2012 Graphics Debugger, but it just crashes my program when I try to capture a frame. Here's the callstack starting with a call to ClearState on the deferred context.

d3d11.dll!CLayeredObjectWithCLS<class CTexture2D>::CContainedObject::AddRef(void)    Unknown
    VsGraphicsHelper.dll!000007fedd395662()    Unknown
    VsGraphicsHelper.dll!000007fedd393b6b()    Unknown
    VsGraphicsHelper.dll!000007fedd345f9b()    Unknown
    VsGraphicsHelper.dll!000007fedd335e9d()    Unknown
    VsGraphicsHelper.dll!000007fedd340f3e()    Unknown
    VsGraphicsHelper.dll!000007fedd3410be()    Unknown
    VsGraphicsHelper.dll!000007fedd340ccc()    Unknown
    VsGraphicsHelper.dll!000007fedd340513()    Unknown
    VsGraphicsHelper.dll!000007fedd33f7be()    Unknown
    VsGraphicsHelper.dll!000007fedd3cc4ae()    Unknown
    VsGraphicsHelper.dll!000007fedd3cc2a6()    Unknown
    VsGraphicsHelper.dll!000007fedd3bea66()    Unknown

Since PIX successfully captures I'm assuming it's the Graphics Debugger, not something I'm doing.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/22/2013 at 8:35 AM
Hi Marcus,

Thanks so much for the feedback! We (including Rich) haven't been able to reproduce the deferred context crash that you describe here. However, we're not conviced we have a reasonable sample. So for now, we're going to put this on our backlog to look at later. If you can provide us a small sample in the meantime, we'd be happy to take another look sooner.

I've also opened an internal bug to track making sure that we record perf events in the child command lists.

Thanks again,
Jim Griesmer
Visual Studio Graphics Diagnostics
Posted by Microsoft on 2/20/2013 at 10:00 AM
Oh forgot to mention, I'll look into the perf events missing too.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/20/2013 at 9:59 AM
Hi Marcus,

I've got the bug now. We're going to try and reproduce the issue to see if we can figure out why the resources are invalid.

If you can upload anything that repro's the issue, that would help too, but if not, we'll try creating a more complex deferred context sample in house.

Thanks
- Rich Chiodo
Posted by Microsoft on 2/19/2013 at 11:38 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 2/19/2013 at 12:51 PM