Debug - Attach to Process... is not working in Visual Studio 2012 by pv001

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 2/20/2013 12:35:36 AM

Hello,
I am working on a DLL application. I started this project using a trial version of Visual Studio 2010. In VS2010 can debug the DLL as follows: from the menu-bar select "Debug - Attach to Process...", I can then select the EXE that is using my DLL and click the button "Attach". Now, my company has purchased Visual Studio 2012. When I try to debug my DLL in VS2012, as I did in VS2010, I get a messagebox "A remote operation is taking longer than epected". I tried to solve this problem by using different settings (compared the settings with VS2010), no success. I re-installed VS2012, no success. Searched the internet on this topic , no success. Can you help me?
Posted by Microsoft on 3/11/2013 at 6:04 AM
Hi pv001,

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been resolved. I will close this issue. Should you find any bugs in the future, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks,
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by pv001 on 3/8/2013 at 4:51 AM
Hi Support Team, I copied the files msvsmon.exe and msvsmon.exe.config from
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64 into
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64 and I copied these files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x86 into
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x86.
And yes, now the "DEBUG - Attach to Process..." is working! I added screenshots of both windows (working and not working). Thanks for your support, you may close the issue. Regards Peter Vos.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/7/2013 at 3:20 AM
Hi pv001,

This is likely caused by some third party security software. Could you please help us to confirm if this issue remains when you disable the security software?

Could you let us know if your colleagues have the same problem?

Thanks,
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by pv001 on 3/6/2013 at 1:44 AM
Hello Support Team, Because it is not possible for me to debug my DLL in Visual Studio 2012, for a work-around, I downloaded, and reinstalled a tryout version of Visual Studio 2010 for the second time. I received a new registration key for extending my trial, but the key is invalid. As I explained, my company has purcchased VS2012 but I can not use it. Is it possible for my company to swich from VS2012 to VS2010? Thank you, regards Peter Vos.
Posted by pv001 on 3/5/2013 at 4:29 AM
Hello Support Team, I did open a DOSbox (start - run cmd). I selected the map C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE. I typed devenv.exe /safemode. VS2012 starts normally, I still get the same messagebox when I select DEBUG - Attach to Process...
Posted by pv001 on 3/5/2013 at 4:20 AM
Hello Support Team,
I do not use VPN. In Visual Studio 2012, I have checked the TOOLS - Add-in Manager... this is enabled (I can select this menu-item and see a window). To disable the Add-in Manager, I selected TOOLS - Options... in the Options screen in the left windowbox, selected Environment - Add-in Security. Here I uncheckted the option "Allow Add-in components to load". I restarted VS2012 and now I can not select the TOOLS - Add-in Manager... so, this is disabled. Now I closed VS2012 and found devenv.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE. I did right click, Run as Administrator, on the devenv.exe. VS2012 starts normaly. When I select DEBUG - Attach to Process... the messagebox appears "A 64-bit debugging operation is taking longer than epected". I hope you have more suggestions to try. Thank you , regards, Peter Vos
Posted by Microsoft on 3/5/2013 at 2:22 AM
Hi pv001,

Do you use VPN? Could you please help to confirm if this issue remains with Visual Studio in safe mode? To do this, you should disable Add-ins (e.g. “Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) and run “devenv.exe /safemode”.

Thanks for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by pv001 on 3/4/2013 at 2:03 AM
Hello,
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to say but the "Attach to Process" problem is still there. I have tried many settings and more and I run out of ideas and do not know how to solve the problem. I hope you can help me to solve the problem! I attached some screenshots, hope this can help you.
For a work-around, again, I downloaded, and reinstalled a tryout version of Visual Studio 2010. As I explained, my company has purcchased VS2012 but I can not use it. Is it possible for my company to swich from VS2012 to VS2010? Thanks.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/1/2013 at 12:56 AM
Hello,

Sorry for bothering. Is there any update?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible.

Thank you!
Posted by Microsoft on 2/26/2013 at 4:24 AM
Hi pv001,

This is likely caused by a VPN or third party security software. Could you please disable such software to confirm if this issue remains?

Thanks,
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Microsoft on 2/21/2013 at 10:09 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 2/21/2013 at 1:50 PM