XDesProc.exe Makes VS 2012 in Windows 7 Unusable by CRT_750

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 2/20/2013 6:28:05 PM

For standard WPF 4.5 desktop application project that use PRISM on Windows 7, XDesProc.exe creates ridiculous delays that kill productivity for everone on my team. We have set up VS 2012 to open XAML files with the XML editor only to avoid this problem. However, if I try to use the XAML designer, the usual message comes up that imforms us that we can still use VS while another process takes care of rendering. However, once rendered, delays will occur when trying to type in the XAML text editor in XAML text/designer split view. To get around the delay I can kill the XDesProc.exe process in the Windows Task Manager. I miss having the convenience of the designer though. Its too frustrating to use though as the delays are horrific!
Posted by Microsoft on 4/29/2014 at 12:30 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. This issue has been fixed in Visual Studio 2013. You can install a trial version of Visual Studio 2013 with the fix from: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9832436
Posted by Simon Billinghurst on 11/17/2013 at 8:22 PM
Still crashing for me with the release of VS 2012 Update 4, so I guess they do mean 2013.
Posted by Nick Nightingale on 9/12/2013 at 5:10 AM
Does that mean that it won't be fixed in Visual Studio 2012?
Posted by Microsoft on 9/11/2013 at 11:27 AM
We are happy to inform you that we were able to reproduce that is being described below in Visual Studio 2012 Update 3. We would further like to infom you that we have addressed the issue in the next major release of Visual Studio.

Thanks,
Lingling
Posted by Microsoft on 8/12/2013 at 7:01 PM
Hi Lolmaker,

We would like to investigate your issues. Would you mind sharing me your project which can help me to get a repro of this issue? Please contact me via LTong At Microsoft DOT COM

Many Thanks,
Lingling
Posted by Lolmaker on 7/25/2013 at 11:37 PM
What's wrong with the status? I can reproduce this issue on every PC that I have using both VS 2012 and VS 2012 on Win 7 and Win 8.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/11/2013 at 10:29 AM
Thank you for your feedback Tino. We are having a hard time repro'ing this problem in house. Can you share a project with us where this happens frequently? Thanks.
Posted by PowerCode1959 on 3/5/2013 at 12:25 AM
We are facing exactly the same issue with all our WPF desktop applications (Language: C#, TargetFramework: 4, Platform targets: x86). We also disabled the designer (because the delay makes it almost unusable) and open our XAML files with the XAML text editor. Nevertheless, VS 2012 freezes up to 40 sec. right after we start typing. We don't get the usual message that something works in the background. In the taskmanager we can see, that XDesProc.exe works hard and it's memory usage increases to approximate 300 MB.

After killing the XDesProc task, we get instant control, but a view seconds later XDesProc starts again with the same result.

Sometimes it happens that we have no intellisense within the XAML text editor.

Please let me now if I can help isolating this annoying problem.

Best regards

Tino
Posted by Microsoft on 2/22/2013 at 12:53 PM
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback. In order to understand your problem we need to be able to repro it in house. Do you have a project or point us to a project where you encounter this problem? In future you could contact us here or get in touch with me directly at
amodg AT microsoft DOT com
Posted by Microsoft on 2/21/2013 at 10:39 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 2/21/2013 at 2:52 PM
Posted by JohnnyXP64 on 12/11/2013 at 3:24 PM
To summarise you can make VS not use the XAML designer, and just use the regular source editor:

Right-click on a XAML file in the Solution Explorer
Select "Open With..."
Select "Source Code (Text) Editor"
Click on "Set as Default"
Click OK