Visual Studio 2012 hangs when editing knockout-binding in Razor View by samjudson

as Duplicate Help for as Duplicate

Opened: 2/26/2013 12:52:18 AM

I have run across an issue where when I am editing the data-bind attribute in Visual Studio 2012 visual studio will hang. I have tried disabling all plugins etc, and am still unable to fix the issue, although sometimes it just makes VS really sluggish, rather than actually hanging.

Using procmon.exe I have looked at what devenv.exe is doing during while it is hanging and it appears to be issuing 3 commands against jscript9ls.dll (the Javascript Analysis Service dll)
CreateFile, QueryBasicInformation and CloseFile. It does this multiple times per millisecond, and continues to do it for as long as VS stays open. It takes up approximately 25% of the CPU on my machine while it is doing this.

I have the following things installed:
Visual Studio 20120 Pro (running on Windows 7 Enterprise, as Administrator)
VS2012.1
ASP.Net Web Tools 2012.2
Web Essentials 2.5.1
Mindscape Web Workbench 3.2.703
Resharper 7.1.1

I have disabled both Mindscape and Resharper with no effect.

When I disable Web Essentials I see the exact same pattern in the Process Monitor log, but VS just becomes very sluggish, rather than actually hanging.

Posted by Microsoft on 4/4/2013 at 2:16 PM
Visual Studio 2012 Update 2 (VS2012.2) is now available. Update for this bug is shown on http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdev/archive/2013/03/04/disabling-knockout-intellisense.aspx
Posted by Microsoft on 3/12/2013 at 10:10 AM
Thanks for submitting the issue. The fix is now in the upcoming VS Update 2.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/6/2013 at 5:44 PM
Thanks for your report! A few other users have been reporting this as well. We've posted a way to disable the feature for now: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdev/archive/2013/03/04/disabling-knockout-intellisense.aspx. We will keep you posted on this issue
Posted by samjudson on 3/1/2013 at 12:20 PM
Just to say, using the Sample Solution attached I have reproduced at home as well (Win8).
Posted by Microsoft on 2/27/2013 at 1:22 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by samjudson on 2/26/2013 at 5:59 AM
Just tried this on a colleagues machine who was reinstalling Visual Studio.

We installed Visual Studio 2012 Pro - no problems.
We installed 2012.1 - no problems
We installed ASP.Net Web Tools 2012.2 - VS Hangs

This machine does not have Resharper or Web Essentials installed at all, so pretty sure those are not the issue.
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size