TF400030: The local data store is currently in use by another operation. by PaulGBrown

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 3/5/2013 8:18:05 AM

I constantly get the message
TF400030: The local data store is currently in use by another operation. Please wait and then try your operation again. If this error persists, restart the application.

when adding a file to the solution or installing/updating nuget packages. This happens on small apps where it's just a basic MVC4 app or production apps.

I'm using TFS Services for the SC. I installed Update 2 CTP 3 and the error continues.
Posted by the original spike on 3/21/2014 at 3:13 PM
I'm still getting this, very unhappy that it would be marked fixed without confirming
Posted by Dmitry Kirsanov on 9/27/2013 at 4:03 PM
The issue is NOT fixed. The Visual Studio 2012 is the most glitchy ever. Also is this website.
Posted by rafanand on 9/26/2013 at 3:36 PM
The number of times I am getting this error is too damn high. The workarounds and blogs listed here don't help.
Are you trying to move us out of TFS?
Posted by VG_mnet on 9/11/2013 at 6:26 AM
I am using TFS 2012 and Visual Studio 2012 update 3 and this still happens incessantly. Like MDUnicorn, we had to change our workspaces to Server in order to get it to stop. Such a shame, since there are reasons we would prefer Local workspaces if it weren't for this unending problem. Defininetly NOT fixed.
Posted by MDUnicorn on 8/24/2013 at 10:11 PM
I changed my workspace location from "Local" to "Server", and my life is a lot easier now.
Posted by bahadirarslan on 7/31/2013 at 2:04 AM
I am using VS 2012.2 and still getting this error every fcking day. I couldn't believe that Microsoft doesn't do anything and closed as fixed without really fixed it.
Posted by GaryWoodfine on 7/23/2013 at 3:57 AM
This bug is far from fixed!
I have update 2 VS 2012.

It's issues like this that just make TFS totally worthless,

Posted by R.Kuhn on 7/15/2013 at 10:17 AM
The sad truth is that this bug - far from being anyhing near "solved" - renders the "locale workspace" feature almost useless for any 'real life' projects.

Pity!

Posted by tecktalk on 7/13/2013 at 3:45 PM
Still a major problem even in VS 2013 preview it's impossible to get anything done with this.
Posted by Templar776 on 6/18/2013 at 11:32 AM
This is still a major problem hitting my setup. I control the source, and have every project mapped. I hit this error on almost every get, almost every merge, and almost every conflict resolution, and every time it causes something to time/error out, and then I CAN'T TELL IF IT MERGED PROPERLY, which it FREQUENTLY screws up. IT MOVES FILES AND BREAKS BUILDS. Then I have to restart and try again just for the same damn thing to happen again 3 or 4 times before a successful merge. CLOSED as FIXED yeah right.
Posted by Pat Tormey on 6/1/2013 at 3:42 AM
It's NOT Realistic to call this Fixed and call it closed, just because there is an explanation in a blog post
It is a serious design flaw and needs to be addressed. It costs time; it costs money; it's aggravating

Please re-open this item until is is fixed..

Pat NH USA
Posted by P. Kelley [MSFT] on 5/31/2013 at 10:05 AM
We have a blog post up on this issue now.

Thanks!
Posted by Philip Nelson on 5/31/2013 at 8:40 AM
I have found that if you close the Source Control Explorer in all but one instance of Visual Studio, this error goes away. Not ideal, but at least you can work. Since doing this for a full day I have not seen the error a single time.
Posted by Philip Nelson on 5/30/2013 at 10:20 AM
I will add to the chorus. Visual Studio 2012 with multiple projects open and I get this error constantly. It was happening occasionally with Update 1, but with Update 2 it is probably 10-30 times per hour with just two solutions open. I tried the temp file cleaning suggested in the workarounds, but no joy.
Posted by bahadirarslan on 5/27/2013 at 9:14 AM
I have the same problem and it is irritating me. Because while i was working, for example i add a new file to solution and visual studio hangs until i kill devenv32.exe.

In my opinion this problem started after Update 2; because i hadn't noticed that problem before.
Also my computer has 16gb rams and 8 core cpu. So i don't believe it is about client resources.

I hope it will be fixed ASAP.
Posted by P. Kelley [MSFT] on 5/13/2013 at 8:24 AM
All,
Thanks for reporting this issue. If you are experiencing this problem, I would be happy to speak with you via e-mail so that we can debug the issue. phkelley@microsoft.com

Thanks,
P. Kelley
TFS Version Control
Posted by dave hutchings on 5/12/2013 at 2:12 AM
Also getting this constantly now. It is the most dangerous place to get an error - as I have lost code. Sometimes when adding a class or view the error occurs and leaves files on one dev machine added to a project and not checked in and in some cases on the dev machine but not even in the project (i have to show all files to add it to project after a restart) - so when doing a get offsite I get a project that doesn't compile / run. Also, the hang happens during a save, which triggers the checkout - this is really bad as source control is supposed to stop you losing code!

I have not found a repeatable process, but it definitely has happened extremely regulary since update 2 and more so if I have been debugging an mvc site.

At the least it is very frustrating when under pressure from deadlines and getting a hang for 3 minutes!
Posted by Jared L. Scarbrough on 5/10/2013 at 9:30 AM
This has grown progressively worse over the past several days for me. All of the other devs in my shop are experiencing this as well. The workarounds do not resolve the issue. Switching to server workspace does not resolve the issue. This is a CRITICAL issue reported over 2 months ago that has yet to be addressed. I could not afford to operate my business with that pathetic level of responsiveness. I'm really not trying to be difficult, but this is very expensive software whose proper operation is crucial to the success of many organizations; this issue needs to be fixed immediately.
Posted by Frode - Sticos on 4/29/2013 at 3:14 AM
Same problem, cleaning tmp files doesn't help, restart VS doesn't help.

Problem occured after installing Upgrade 2, downgrading didn't help.

I am loosing productivity big time - please fix today!
Posted by Pat Tormey on 4/23/2013 at 1:46 PM
Posted by Malkier on 4/23/2013 at 7:21 AM
I'm encountering this bug when I try to add new files to a project (and therefore to source control).
I have to restart Visual Studio and it works again for some time. Very nasty!
Posted by Pat Tormey on 3/26/2013 at 9:50 AM
Same issue VS2012.2 and TFS MS Hosted.
I'm forced to Kill the task and that leaves the project state in danger.

THIS HAS TO BE FIXED.
Pat NH USA
Posted by Silver Dollar Software on 3/22/2013 at 8:18 AM
Wow...killed 2 hours today because every action I do takes 5 minutes. Adding a new class...5 minutes...first text change in new file...5 minutes...save file...5 minutes... the spinning blue doughnut is killing me!
Posted by Silver Dollar Software on 3/22/2013 at 7:33 AM
Please get this fix in ASAP, this totally kills productivity!
Posted by Microsoft on 3/21/2013 at 7:21 AM
Thanks for contacting us about this issue. We have recently completed some major refactoring to improve issues like this that can occur when using local workspaces. These fixes are planned to be released with the next major update of VS/TFS and we're considering a port to the next VS update (following Update 2).

Thanks,
Matt
Program Manager | TFS Version Control
Posted by PaulBSteelerFan on 3/21/2013 at 6:39 AM
It appears that the temp folders are responsible for the problems. I've posted a workaround that tells how to clean out the temp folders. I have cleaned them out 3 times in the past 12 days. I don't remember doing this at all with 2010.
Posted by Silver Dollar Software on 3/19/2013 at 8:21 PM
This is happening to me with my WP and Win8 apps. Such a huge productivity killer.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/14/2013 at 2:48 AM
Hi PaulGBrown, thanks for your response. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by PaulBSteelerFan on 3/6/2013 at 9:35 AM
Can I change the status to blocking because it's getting worse? I almost have to check out the entire project just so it won't popup on me. It took less than 2 minutes before I ran into it again.
Posted by PaulBSteelerFan on 3/6/2013 at 8:47 AM
Example: Today I added an existing file to my project. After approx. 1 min, I got message the above message. The file was added to the solution but was not being tracked by SC. I tried to add to SC and got the same message. Close and reopen VS, add to SC and it works.

BTW, apparently I have two profiles on Connect.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/5/2013 at 10:43 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional a 32 bits dump file. Please submit this information to us within 4 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information.
If the dump file is too big to upload, please follow this
************************************************************
Please zip the file and use "FeedbackID-780698" as prefix of the file name.
************************************************************
You can use the following workspace to upload the file by IE: https://sftemea.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=4714c7a4-1646-49f2-8e2c-91f818cdd165
Password: g#8EJcuGOqrKZ8N
Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/5/2013 at 10:51 AM
Posted by PaulGBrown on 3/5/2013 at 8:21 AM
This can cause VS to hang forcing an end task. Restarting VS will get things working for a very short time.
Posted by Hong (MA, USA) on 10/7/2013 at 6:08 AM
I want to emphasize that I am reporting what has solved my case for now just in case some others have a similar scenario. By no means, I claim this is the ultimate solution.

I have two solutions: Foo and FooChild. The directory of FooChild is under that of Foo. When I was trying to add a service reference to a project of FooChild while Foo is also open in another instance of VS2012, this problem happens. This was reproducible at least for this particular case. I closed both instances of VS2012, and opened FooChild only, then added the service reference. The problem was gone.
Posted by GaryWoodfine on 8/30/2013 at 2:19 AM
Totally Agree with MDUnicorn. The Best WorkAround by far is to use Subversion or GitHub!
It still amazes me that organizations think that TFS has any real value at all!
I like .net & C# - Hate TFS
Posted by MDUnicorn on 8/24/2013 at 10:08 PM
The best workaround is to use another version control software altogether. Visual Studio is great, but I'm sure TFVC is not.
Posted by Bernie Cook on 8/7/2013 at 12:52 AM
Here's a response from an official Microsoft blog written in May 2013 which sheds some light on the matter:

Posted by Frode - Sticos on 6/3/2013 at 12:17 AM
The only "real" workaround is to simply avoid using Local Workspaces, it only works in example projects.
Posted by Pat Tormey on 6/1/2013 at 4:10 AM
Correction
File->Source Control->Advanced->Change Source Control..Unbind
Pat NH USA
Posted by Pat Tormey on 6/1/2013 at 4:07 AM
You can avoid this problem altogether by unbinding Source Code Control File->Source Control->Admin->unbind
At the end of your session you can then Rebind with the same technique selecting rebind.

When you rebind you may have to manually reconcile add and deletes and I expect edits if other team members edit the same files.

While this is also un-acceptable for a source control tool, it does keep you from dozens of daily restarts of VS and dealing those scattered files.

Pat NH USA
Posted by Philip Nelson on 5/31/2013 at 8:41 AM
Close the Source Control Explorer in all but one instance of Visual Studio, this error goes away.
Posted by Malkier on 4/22/2013 at 2:26 AM
I noticed that this error started popping up after I cloned two repositories from github. I removed those in the Team Explorer - Connect View and it seems to work now. Nevertheless, this has to be fixed soon.
Posted by PaulBSteelerFan on 3/21/2013 at 6:36 AM
Follow the steps in this blog post to clean out the crap and that seems to fix it for a while.