German Version of VS: VSTO Runtime Missing in Publish->Prerequisites by Guido Kraus

Active

Opened: 4/26/2013 2:50:16 AM

Applies to: Visual Studio 2012 with Update 2 and the latest Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012 (supporting Office 2013 / .NET 4.5).
I have an Office add-in which I want to publish using the publish functionality of Visual Studio.
Problem: In "Project->Properties->Publish->Prerequisites" there is no item "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86 and x64)". However, there is an item "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86 and x64) Language Pack - DEU". Selecting the available item (the language pack) does not automatically install the Office Runtime. After the add-in is published and setup.exe is started you get a setup failure because of the missing "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime".
Posted by Microsoft on 4/29/2014 at 12:21 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. This issue has been fixed in Visual Studio 2013. You can install a trial version of Visual Studio 2013 with the fix from: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9832436
Posted by Microsoft on 5/22/2013 at 3:59 PM
@Guido (and anyone using a localized version of Visual Studio),

I am happy to say we resolved the issue. There were some forward-links we adjusted on the back-end, but the experience should now work right out of the box, without the need to re-download the Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012.

Note that the title of the bootstrapper package in the Prerequisites list will still say it's a Language Pack, but it's actually the VSTO Runtime PLUS the Language Pack.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/1/2013 at 10:40 AM
Right, that makes sense. I think I've got all the information I need to try to dig into this. Thanks again for your help.
Posted by Guido Kraus on 5/1/2013 at 10:35 AM
I renamed the VSTOR40 folder and recreated it by following the instructions in http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsto/archive/2012/12/21/creating-a-bootstrapper-package-for-an-office-2013-vsto-add-in-with-visual-studio-2012.aspx (scroll down to 'Original Post from December 2012').
Posted by Microsoft on 5/1/2013 at 10:28 AM
Great, thanks. As you may have figured, this is not the expected behavior!
When you mentioned you did get things to work after a workaround, what did you do, out of curiocity?
Posted by Guido Kraus on 5/1/2013 at 10:19 AM
I added the contents of the VSTOR40 folder as ZIP file.
BTW, I was able to reproduce the behavior on a second machine.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/1/2013 at 10:13 AM
Hi Guido,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply and your screenshots. I'll have someone on my team see if we can reproduce this with the new information you've provided.

Any chance you could zip the whole "VSTOR40" folder and upload it (either via Connect, or to SkyDrive)? I'd like to understand what contents went inside. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\VSTOR40)

Thanks again!
- Michael
Posted by Guido Kraus on 5/1/2013 at 7:40 AM
Hi Michael,

as far as I remember I installed the different components in the following order:
1) Office 2010
2) Visual Studio 2012
3) Update 2 for VS2012
4) VSTO, latest version via web platform installer
5) Office 2013 (update installation which removed Office 2010)
All software is German (Windows 8 x64, Office x64, VS, VSTO).

The result is the following:
I have a folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\VSTOR40 which contains a product.xml file (which I uploaded to this feedback item). As far as I can see, product.xml looks good. It has a single element <PackageFile Name="vstor_redist.exe" .../>
The VSTOR40 folder has a single subfolder 'de'. Inside this 'de' folder there is a package.xml file (which I also uploaded to this feedback item). In my opinion this package.xml file is not correct: it contains three <PackageFile> elements. 1) Name="eula.rtf" 2) Name = "vstor40_LP_x86_deu.exe" and 3) Name = "vstor40_LP_x64_deu.exe"

For me it seems as if the German VSTO Language Pack somehow has overridden the existing VSTO Runtime Package. If I go to Visual Studio "Project->Properties->Publish->Prerequisites" the list does not show the VSTO Runtime but only the VSTO German language pack (I uploaded a screenshot of this).

Guido
Posted by Microsoft on 4/30/2013 at 3:38 PM
Hi Guido,

I tried to reproduce this issue, but am actually unable to do so. I install VS 2012 on a clean machine, install Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012 (http://aka.ms/OfficeDevToolsForVS2012), and then install both the VS German language pack and, for good measure, the the VSTO language pack (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35598). However, even so, the only VSTO-related item I see in the "Publish" -> "Prerequisites" list is "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86 and x64)" -- nothing about a language pack.

Were you following different steps? Could you attach a screenshot and/or any more details that can help us diagnose this issue?

Thank you very much for your time.

~ Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office
Posted by Microsoft on 4/28/2013 at 10:33 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/26/2013 at 3:51 AM