VS2012 Requires Security Credentials to Run by stuart.rankin

Opened: 4/26/2013 9:24:01 AM

A couple of days ago, VS2012 started asking for security credentials in order to run. I don't recall any changes I made to VS2012. (This also makes it impossible for VS2012 to act as a drag/drop target, which is close to breaking for my project.) When I try to run VS2012 by double clicking on devenv.exe, I get the same security warning.

I don't want to run VS2012 with administrator privileges - it hobbles the functionality of VS2012.

Do I have to delete everything and reinstall VS2012? (By the way - that's not a fix for the problem.)

I have VS2010 on the same system and it runs without issue. I've run them both before on the same system without issue until VS2012 decided to stop functioning properly.

Here's the set of installed software from the About box:

Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
Version 11.0.60315.01 Update 2
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.5.50709

Installed Version: Ultimate

Architecture and Modeling Tools 04940-004-0038003-02788
Microsoft Architecture and Modeling Tools

UML® and Unified Modeling Language™ are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Object Management Group, Inc. in the United States and other countries.

LightSwitch for Visual Studio 2012 04940-004-0038003-02788

Visual C++ 2012 04940-004-0038003-02788
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012

Visual F# 2012 04940-004-0038003-02788
Microsoft Visual F# 2012

Visual Studio 2012 Code Analysis Spell Checker 04940-004-0038003-02788
Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2012 Code Analysis Spell Checker

Portions of International CorrectSpell™ spelling correction system © 1993 by Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.

Visual Studio 2012 SharePoint Developer Tools 04940-004-0038003-02788
Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 SharePoint Developer Tools

AlignAssignments 1.0
Command for aligning assignments.

All-In-One Code Framework Sample Browser 1.0
Sample Browser Visual Studio Extension allows developers to search and download 3500+ code samples from within Visual Studio 2012 and Visual Studio 2010. It is provided by Microsoft All-In-One Code Framework in partnership with Visual Studio Team and MSDN Samples Gallery. The Sample Browser targets to put the power of thousands of code samples at developers' fingertips.

AutoBraceComplete 1.0
auto brace complete

Color Theme Designer 1.0
Designer for creating new color themes

CustomDocWell 1.0
Provides configurable behavior for the document well in Visual Studio 2012.

Microsoft Roslyn CTP 1.2
Microsoft Roslyn CTP

NuGet Package Manager 2.2.40116.9051
NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.

OneCodeQuickLaunchPackage 1.0
Information about my package

OptionsPageImpl 1.0
Information about my package

PowerCommands for Visual Studio 2010 1.0
A set of power commands for Visual Studio 2010

PreEmptive Analytics Visualizer 1.0
Microsoft Visual Studio extension to visualize aggregated summaries from the PreEmptive Analytics product.

Quick Launch Tasks 1.0
Microsoft Quick LaunchTasks package adds accessibility and settings tasks to the Quick Launch tool.

SQL Server Data Tools 11.1.20627.00
Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

Web Developer Tools 1.2.40308.0
Microsoft Web Developer Tools contains the following components:
Page Inspector: Tool that offers an efficient way to decompose Web Applications and diagnose front-end issues.
Web Publishing: Extensions required for Web Publishing for both hosted servers as well as on premises.
Web Form Templates: Includes the default templates for Web Form Applications.
Editor Extensions: Includes HTML, CSS, and JS editor extensions that greatly enhance the development experience.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/4/2013 at 3:46 PM
Hello Stuart Rankin. We have not been able to identify a bug in Visual Studio from the information in this connect feedback item. You can contact Microsoft support for assistance with Visual Studio here (http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1117/en-us). If you have identify additional reproducable steps for this bug please feel free to update this connect item or create a new item.

Anthony
Posted by stuart.rankin on 5/10/2013 at 9:41 AM
One new symptom is after I start devenv by double clicking on an existing project and going through the security credential dialog, is I'm asked if I want to save changes to devenv.sln. This dialog pops up before the solution I double clicked on starts loading. This appears to be reproducible at will. I don't know if it's related or not but I thought I throw it into the mix.

Stuart
Posted by stuart.rankin on 5/7/2013 at 10:46 AM
Hi, Tony,
Thanks for the information. I've uploaded the .reg file from the branch you indicated (as a .zip file).

Stuart
Posted by Microsoft on 5/7/2013 at 10:39 AM
Hi Stuart,

Sorry, should have been HKCU not HKLM.

Tony Goodhew,
Program Manager, VS Pro.
Posted by stuart.rankin on 5/6/2013 at 2:05 PM
Hi, Tony,
The prompt comes before the splash screen.
I'm looking at regedit in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio but don't see a branch 11.0_Config (either at the ...VisualStudio level or in ...VisualStudio/11.0).

Stuart
Posted by Microsoft on 5/6/2013 at 1:57 PM
Hi Stuart,

Do you get the UAC prompt immedaitely when launching VS or does it come after seomthing (like the splash screen)?

We're sort of out of ideas, our last area to look at is the config hive. Could you export and send use the tree from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0_Config

Thanks,

Tony Goodhew,
Program Manager, VS Pro
Posted by stuart.rankin on 5/6/2013 at 10:44 AM
Hi, Tony,
I just reran devenv with the switch order as you mentioned and have uploaded the log as ActivityLog2.xml. Let me know if you'd like the .xsl file as well.

Stuart
Posted by Microsoft on 5/6/2013 at 10:36 AM
Hi Stuart,

Also sorry I had the command back to front - It should be "Devenv.exe /safemode /log" - If you put a filename in after the /log you can make it go somewhere easy to get instead of the romaing data - eg devenv.exe /safemode /log c:\temp\ActivityLog.xml

If you could grab that and attach it as well I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tony Goodhew,
Program Manager, VS Pro.
Posted by stuart.rankin on 5/6/2013 at 10:30 AM
Yes - it's version 2.0.60306.0.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/6/2013 at 10:24 AM
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the log - Do you have the Python Tools installed on that machine? If so what version?

Thanks,

Tony Goodhew,
Program Manager, VS Pro
Posted by stuart.rankin on 5/6/2013 at 10:17 AM
Hi, Tony,
Sorry for the delay - I was out sick with the flu most of last week. Now, I'm in with the flu (but hopefully not contagious). I ran devenv.exe with /safemode and still saw the security credential request. I've attached the activitylog.xml file to this issue.
(I tried running "devenv.exe /log /safemode" but got an error from devenv saying the command line was incorrect. However, it appears that a log file was generated even if /log isn't specified...)

Stuart
Posted by Microsoft on 5/2/2013 at 10:31 AM
Hi Stuart,

Can you try opening a dev command prompt (non-admin) and then running devenv.exe /safemode?

The only thing I can think of here is that something is being loaded by VS that requires an elevation. If /safemode still requires elevation, can you run devenv.exe /log /safemode and then send me the activitylog.xml file.

Thanks,

Tony Goodheww,
Program Manager, VS Pro.
Posted by stuart.rankin on 5/1/2013 at 1:18 PM
Hi, Tony,
I rebooted and noticed the same issue. I removed all devenv.exe entries (there was only one that I saw) from the registry at the path you specified, rebooted, but the issue remains, unfortunately...

Stuart
Posted by Microsoft on 5/1/2013 at 12:28 PM
Hi Stuart,

Rebooting couldn't hurt so go ahead and try that. Once your rebooted, and that didn't help, then shutdown VS, go back into RegEdit and remove the entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers if it is there again. Also go into HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store (or Persisted I think on Win7 and earlier) and delete any entries for devenv.exe

Try restarting VS after that.

Tony Goodhew,
Program Manager, VS Pro.
Posted by stuart.rankin on 5/1/2013 at 11:12 AM
I checked the registry path and it had the entry you mentioned (exception it had a '#' instead of a '^' in front of the RUNASADMIN). I deleted the registry entry but unfortunately DevEnv still asked for security credentials. Should I reboot to be sure?
Posted by Microsoft on 5/1/2013 at 11:06 AM
Hi Stuart,

Can you please check your registry to see if the PCA has set a value for DevEnv?

It is located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

There may be an entry that has a value of "^ RUNASADMIN" for DevEnv - If so delete that entry and try running DevEnv again.

Thanks,

Tony Goodhew,
Program Manager, VS Pro.
Posted by stuart.rankin on 5/1/2013 at 10:18 AM
I was asked to check if the "Run as administrator" checkbox was checked in the properties dialog for devenv.exe. I couldn't find the "Run as administrator" in the properties dialog, so I looked at the properties dialog for the shortcut - "Run as administrator" was not checked. It still, however, requires security credentials to run.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/29/2013 at 10:53 AM
Hi Stuart,

Can you please open the file properties on DevEnv.exe and confirm that the checkbox for "Run as administrator" is clear? This is located in the advanced area of the file properties dialog.

Thanks,

Tony Goodhew,
Program Manager, VS Pro.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/28/2013 at 11:14 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by stuart.rankin on 4/26/2013 at 10:07 AM
Now I noticed that all of my extensions are disabled. It's not a fix but I don't think I have a choice other than to scrub VS2012 from my system and start all over.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/26/2013 at 9:51 AM
Posted by stuart.rankin on 4/26/2013 at 9:28 AM
I've tried various tricks such as running the troubleshooter in program compatibility but nothing worked. (In the case of the troubleshooter, it said devenv was incompatible. Incompatible with what?)
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size