Visual Studio 2012 SP2 Installation causes inability to debug or run from the Visual Basic IDE. by xaprogrammer

as Duplicate Help for as Duplicate

Opened: 5/21/2013 6:30:50 AM

I installed Visual Studio Pro Update 2 on my machine and was emmediately unable to debug (F5 key) or run (ctrl-F5) any VB application.

I am runing 64 bit Windows7 on an AMD 64 bit processor. My settings are all "Any CPU". The "Prefer 32 bit" checkbox on Properties/Compile is disabled and not editable.

The message I get is:
Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging.
An error occurred that usually indicates a corrupt installation (code 0x80040154). If the problem persists, repair your Visual Studio installation via 'Add or Remove Programs' in Control Panel.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and repaired multiple times (I'm blue in the face) with no change in the problem. I have also tried running devenv /Resetsettings, devenv /ResetSkipPkgs, and devenv /Safemode all before/after installing Update 2. I have tried Update 2 with and without Update1 being installed.

This is roughly the same problem as the "Visual Studio 2012 SP2 Installation is broken, will not start debugging", abd others, with no resolution to those same issues.

The only soution, and this does work, is to go back to Update1. I have another machine with trhe same environment and Update2 works just fine on it.

I am currently back on Update1 because I need this machine.

I am willing to perform the collect procedure - should I also do this before installing Update1 too?

Posted by Microsoft on 7/16/2013 at 3:10 PM
Apparently there was a typo in the PS script I sent you. Please replace "Absent" with "Advertised" and try again. Sorry again for all the issues getting this fixed.

Marc
Posted by AdamMarkDavies on 7/11/2013 at 6:36 AM
Hi,

I am also experiencing this issue:

I have successfully executed the commands in PowerShell 2, unfortunately this has not resolved the debugger issue.

Best Regards,

Adam
Posted by Microsoft on 7/10/2013 at 2:51 PM
I talked to the person who wrote that script originally and they're telling me it's fairly old. Thanks for the effort you've been putting into this and sorry that you're running into this issue. I've now been told to have you try a powershell script instead if you're up for it. The default script below will reinstall anything on your box that is marked as Absent. You can limit it to just Visual Studio Components if you need to.

Here's what I was told:
"If you want a “fix my box” script, download http://psmsi.codeplex.com (requires PowerShell 2 or newer, which is on by default in all Win7+ client SKUs but you may need to run the following once within PowerShell (elevated):

Set-executionpolicy RemoteSigned

After that, run this (PS> is the example prompt):

PS> import-module MSI
PS> get-msiproductinfo -context machine | get-msifeatureinfo | where { $_.State -eq "Absent" } | group ProductCode | select @{l="ProductCode"; e={$_.Name}}, @{l="CommandLine"; e={"ADDLOCAL=$(($_.Group | select -expand Name) -join ',')"}} | foreach { $_ | install-msiproduct -properties $_.CommandLine }

That will run on every product installer per-machine on the box. If you want to limit it a bit (should work for most VS packages, change the first call to get-msiproductinfo to the following:

PS> get-msiproductinfo -name "*Visual Studio*" -context machine | …"
Posted by Edgar Omar B on 7/10/2013 at 2:12 PM
Hi, I continue from http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/788647/error-0x80040d10-in-visual-studio-2012-when-i-try-to-execute-a-program

I executed "cscript Unadvertise.wsf /verbose /productcode:{CFFDC0EC-6924-3347-B047-13339EDBEC28}" and the message was:
C:\Users\phoenix\Downloads\Unadvertise\Unadvertise.wsf(0, 1) Windows Script Host: Cannot add referen
ce : {000C1092-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

By other side I can't find the files kb2707250.msp and kb2707250-enu.msp in my computer.

Do you still need the setup logs?
Posted by Microsoft on 6/24/2013 at 5:10 PM
Hello, from another customer we may have a workaround. It appears that for some reason, some customers are getting a VS package marked so that future updates won't apply. So far, it appears to be a VS resource package so basically the binaries update but not the resource string binaries. It just so happens that the debugger has some changes in update 2 that causes us to completely break without the resource update.

We have a possible workaround (other than completely uninstalling VS and reinstalling):
1. Download the utility from here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2009/01/27/unadvertise.aspx
2. Run cscript Unadvertise.wsf /verbose /productcode:{CFFDC0EC-6924-3347-B047-13339EDBEC28}
3. Rerun update 2 setup (or repair)

If the above does not work, you can try tyhe below which will target all packages in the update but we believe the above product code is the main one impacted
cscript <path>Unadvertise.wsf /verbose /patch:<path>kb2707250.msp
cscript <path>Unadvertise.wsf /verbose /patch:<path>kb2707250-enu.msp

Let us know if this works

Marc
Posted by Microsoft on 6/18/2013 at 10:09 AM
Thanks Maciej,

Can you confirm if the symbollocator.resources.dll is present anywhere on the system? If not, can you collect a process monitor log during update 2 install (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx)?

We believe that file is not being installed for some reason on some people's machines but we haven't been able to reproduce the problem. To work around this, you can try installing the remote tools from update 2 and copying the symbollocator.resources.dll file into the correct location.

Visual Studio Debugger Team
Posted by Maciej Wolniewicz on 6/18/2013 at 7:41 AM
Hi,

I got same issue on Windows 8 and VS 2012 after Update 2 installation.

I have install Update 3 RC but it did not fix anything.

My system is in English(both os and vs). Regional settings are set to polish.

Regards,
Maciej
Posted by Microsoft on 5/31/2013 at 10:32 AM
Hey xaprogrammer,

We had a couple of follow-up questions. What location did you install VS to? Can you confirm if there is a symbollocator.resources.dll on your system? It should be under ...\Visual Stidio 2012\Common7\Packages\Debugger\1033 but if you don't see it there, can you check to see if it was installed somewhere else?

Visual Studio Debugger Team
Posted by Microsoft on 5/24/2013 at 9:50 AM
From C#:
[DllImport("kernel32.dll")]
static extern uint GetThreadLocale();

Then call this function and let me know the result. US english is 1033. We had someone else report this same issue and we're trying to figure out what's the same between the two of you.

Other things you can try:
-- Collect a procmon log during the failure (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx)

-- Try update 3 RC1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2835600

Let me know the results when you can. Thanks.
Posted by xaprogrammer on 5/24/2013 at 9:16 AM
Possibly the answer is English.
Posted by xaprogrammer on 5/23/2013 at 10:42 PM
Of course - where can I find the current culture setting?
Posted by Microsoft on 5/23/2013 at 7:13 PM
Hey xaprogrammer,

Thanks for reporting this. By any chance, can you share your current culture settings? We're wondering if it's maybe an install issue based on the locale you're in as it's not a broad problem.

Thanks.

Marc Paine
Visual Studio Debugger QA Lead
Posted by Microsoft on 5/22/2013 at 8:02 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/22/2013 at 12:51 PM