StackOverflowException in Visual Studio 2012 internal code by Simon Mourier (SoftFluent)

Opened: 6/17/2013 3:23:42 AM

Hi,

I'm writing a package that can open an .SQL file programmatically from the IDE for the user. The .SQL file correspond to a hierarchy node that resides in my package's hierarchy. For that, I use the standard IVsUIShellOpenDocument.OpenStandardEditor method with Guid.Empty as the logical view.

It used to work fine with Visual Studio 2008 and 2010. But now with Visual Studio 2012 (Version is 11.0.60315.01 Update 2), either it doesn't work, the screen may be blank, or completely black, or it Visual Studio just crashes, also when I use the new "preview" feature of Visual Studio 2012.

When it crashes, it's because of a .NET StackOverflowException in Visual Studio 2012 internal code.

It seems like a bug to me. Right now, I use OpenSpecificEditor with VSConstants.GUID_TextEditorFactory as the editor and VSConstants.LOGVIEWID_Code as the logical view for a workaround, but I'd like to use the standard SQL Server editor.

Note when I use the LOGVIEWID_UserChooseView logical view, it also fails if I select the default "Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools, Editor Selector".

Posted by Microsoft on 4/29/2014 at 12:30 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. This issue has been fixed in Visual Studio 2013. You can install a trial version of Visual Studio 2013 with the fix from: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9832436
Posted by Simon Mourier (SoftFluent) on 8/10/2013 at 11:25 PM
Great. Thanks a lot!
Posted by Microsoft on 8/10/2013 at 3:55 PM
Found it. This will be fixed in the next version of VS and next versions of SSDT.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/10/2013 at 2:44 PM
By the way, I tried the free license and it didn't work.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/10/2013 at 2:34 PM
Hello Simon - I'm trying to repro this in VS 2011 but I don't have a license. Do you have one I could use for the repro purposes? My email is patrick dot sirr @microsoft.com. thanks!

Patrick
Posted by Microsoft on 6/17/2013 at 11:09 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 6/17/2013 at 3:50 AM