Visual Studio 2012 Pro won't install on fresh Windows 8.1 by Alxandr

Active

Opened: 7/1/2013 11:55:07 AM

The web-installer for VS2012 Pro gives me the error that it's beeing run under compatibility-mode (even though it's not). I copied this from the log-file:

Stop Block: CompatibilityMode : Windows Program Compatibility mode is on. Turn it off and then try Setup again.

I made sure in every way I know of (even going into the registry and deleting the node for the install-file in the compatibility-settings) that it was in fact not running in compatibility mode, then I tried to run it in compatibility mode. No matter what I did I got the same error.

The standard installer (not web-installer) seems to work though.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/15/2014 at 7:24 AM
For customers looking to run the Visual Source Safe Upgrade Tool for Team Foundation Server (tfs_VssUpgrade.exe), please use the following link to get the latest version from Visual Studio Gallery.

This version works on Windows 8.1.
Posted by Alexander Rijnbeek on 6/3/2014 at 5:30 AM
This problem is still not fixed, please provide a workaround to get this file working on windows 8.1, the filename is: tfs_VssUpgrade.exe
Posted by Monika Biskupska on 3/20/2014 at 1:52 AM
The file name is tfs_VssUpgrade.exe (I also tried to change it to every other filename mentioned in this thread just to be safe). I run out of ideas what to try next, the installation still fails with CompatibilityMode error.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/19/2014 at 11:02 AM
Did you rename the file to tfs_VssUpgrade.exe? If you did and you are still experiencing this issue, please let me know and I can attempt to forward this to the team who owns that tool.
Thanks!
Posted by Monika Biskupska on 3/19/2014 at 12:10 AM
Yes, it seems it's just the same problem with compatibility mode with the same error.
Posted by Kelly Berman - MSFT on 3/18/2014 at 10:34 AM
Hi Monika,

Are you experiencing the same issue with the Visual Source Safe Upgrade tool? Please further describe your experience so we can try and help.
Thank you!
Posted by Monika Biskupska on 3/18/2014 at 8:11 AM
What about tfs_VssUpgrade.exe (Visual Source Safe Upgrade Tool for Team Foundation Server) ?
Posted by Wray Smallwood on 10/5/2013 at 8:50 AM
Resolves the issue for me (original name was name from MSDN)
Posted by Microsoft on 9/19/2013 at 2:54 PM
Hello Alxandr,

Thank you for taking the time to submit this issue to Connect. This is a known issue with Windows 8.1 RTM and it will be addressed in a future update of Windows 8.1. In the meantime, you can typically rename the EXE to get it to work correctly.

Examples:
Visual Studio Professional 2012 installer should be renamed to vs_professional.exe
Premium -> vs_premium.exe
Ultimate -> vs_ultimate.exe

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

Kelly Berman
Visual Studio Program Manager
Posted by Microsoft on 7/1/2013 at 12:52 PM
Posted by Microsoft on 9/19/2013 at 2:59 PM
Rename the EXE accordingly:

Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate -> vs_ultimate.exe
Premium -> vs_premium.exe
Pro -> vs_professional.exe

Express for Web -> vns_full.exe
Express for Windows -> win8express_full.exe
Express for Desktop -> wdexpress_full.exe

Another option is to use the installers available here (instead of the installers from MSDN). You can then use the product keys from your MSDN account to activate Visual Studio.

Posted by Alxandr on 7/1/2013 at 12:04 PM
Using the standard installer (from Dreamspark at least) worked perfectly.