Can't create an MVC4 project in Visual Studio 2013 Preview by Steve Horne

Active

Opened: 7/11/2013 1:51:42 PM

Windows 7 x86 + VS2013 Ultimate preview.

File.New.Project,

Select Visual C# | Visual Basic \ Web \ Visual Studio 2012 \ ASP.NET MVC 4 Web Application.

OK button

Take the default 'Internet Application' option in the next dialog

OK button

"Microsoft Visual Studio" error dialog appears:

"The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)"

The solution is created, but it's empty, no files.

Running under procmon, I see a CreateFile event for this zip failing:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\MvcWebApplicationProjectTemplatev4.1.cshtml.zip

And indeed, no Mvc* template zips exist:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0>dir mvcweb*.zip /s/b
File Not Found

Posted by overgrow on 7/21/2014 at 2:23 PM
This worked great for me, after trying like 4 other possible workarounds it took less than 30 seconds to fix the issue.
Happened to me today with the Premium version of VS2013.

Steps I followed to fix the issue (thanks to Cheung):
1) Go to http://docs.nuget.org/docs/start-here/installing-nuget
2) Click the 'Visual Studio Extension Gallery' link
3) Download the VSIX file
4) Double-Click the downloaded file to launch the installer
5) Restart VS2013 (if it wasn't already closed)

You should no longer have any problems creating a MVC4 apps.

Thanks for posting solutions, this was a lifesaver!

THANKS JHART!!!!
Posted by JHart on 5/15/2014 at 3:01 PM
Happened to me today with the Premium version of VS2013.

Steps I followed to fix the issue (thanks to Cheung):
1) Go to http://docs.nuget.org/docs/start-here/installing-nuget
2) Click the 'Visual Studio Extension Gallery' link
3) Download the VSIX file
4) Double-Click the downloaded file to launch the installer
5) Restart VS2013 (if it wasn't already closed)

You should no longer have any problems creating a MVC4 apps.

Thanks for posting solutions, this was a lifesaver!
Posted by Justin-Coles on 2/6/2014 at 3:54 PM
I have been experiencing this problem, none of the workarounds addressed the issue. I have managed to resolve the problem and I believe this was achieved by the following.
1. When I create a new web application it appears to use IIS Express
2. IIS Express has configuration files within the 'Documents' folder c:\users\[name]\documents\iis express
3. My Documents folder is mapped to c:\users[name]\skydrive\documents
4. My IIS Express folder was set to available off-line (so the config files weren't actually available); I changed to be available on-line (now the config files are available locally)
5. I can now create new web projects and launch IIS Express

Suggest troubleshooting to see if the issue is related to IIS Express using the following command:
C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express\iisexpress.exe /trace:e

Examples available here:

Hope this helps.
Posted by habibirad on 1/26/2014 at 9:23 PM
Thanks - this worked for me.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/6/2013 at 2:11 PM
Here's the fix based on the Workaround the NuGet team provided:

From the description it sounds like NuGet installed unsuccessfully. You can enable by NuGet in Visual Studio 2013 Preview by following the steps below

1. Close all instances of Visual Studio 2013 Preview
2. Open Explorer
3. Navigate to the NuGet installation folder by entering the following path in the address bar: %ProgramFiles(x86)%\NuGet\Visual Studio 2012\
4. Double click on NuGet.Tools.VSIX and follow the prompts to install the extension.
-----------

We will reach out to the NuGet team to see if we can avoid the issue altogether.

Closing as External
Thanks!
Language Experience Team
Posted by BikingDesigner on 12/6/2013 at 8:46 AM
Thanks - this (NuGet) fix worked for me.
Posted by Eagle_f91 on 11/18/2013 at 4:04 PM
I am having this same issue on RTM. VS2013Pro
Posted by Cheung Tat Ming on 10/20/2013 at 7:04 PM
I solved this problem.
If you are using VS2013 express or pro and experience this error.
It's because the nuget is not install successfully.
So go to download and Install the nuget again, everythings will work.

Install Nuget
Posted by Cheung Tat Ming on 10/18/2013 at 12:39 AM
And I just discover this problem is because VS2012 and VS2013 installed in same machine!
Posted by Cheung Tat Ming on 10/18/2013 at 12:34 AM
This happen to me too, and it is RTW version.
Posted by CJKee on 10/11/2013 at 7:32 PM
This bug just happened to me with VS2013 RC! Thank goodness for this workaround because that's what it took to get it to work!
Posted by Waldyr Felix [MVP] on 9/30/2013 at 8:11 PM
This bug just happen to me! I'm using VS2013 LCTP, but this solution still works :)
Posted by CharlesVerdon on 8/27/2013 at 12:29 PM
FYI I got the same issue with my install. However the folder Visual Studio 2013 did not exist in the program files x86/NuGet folder, instead there was this folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\NuGet\Visual Studio 12
Thanks
Posted by Simonitus on 8/23/2013 at 5:50 AM
To reproduce just install the preview to a directory different to the default.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/24/2013 at 10:17 AM
Hi,

We are unfortunately still unable to reproduce this issue. For people experiencing this issue we recommend using the workaround information provided earlier. You might want to consider temporarily disabling anti-virus software during the installation in case it is preventing the installer from locating the required files.

Thanks,
The ASP.NET Team
Posted by liamog on 7/21/2013 at 6:43 PM
I too have this issue. It's a clean install on Windows 8.1 x64
Posted by Microsoft on 7/22/2013 at 6:43 PM
Correction to Step 3: The path for Visual Studio 2013 is %ProgramFiles(x86)%\NuGet\Visual Studio 2013\
Posted by Microsoft on 7/22/2013 at 6:21 PM