Bug when debugging a AutoCAD 2013 plug-in by Samir Bittar

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 9/16/2013 10:45:22 AM

I noticed a bug when I'm using Autodesk's .NET API for AutoCAD 2013 64-bit, on .NET Framework 4.0 .
I have a plug-in for AutoCAD 2013 64-bit which I wrote using Visual Studio 2012 and C#. What happens is that, since my plug-in is a DLL, I set AutoCAD on the "Start external program" project settings page, so that Visual Studio will start debugging my DLL by starting up AutoCAD, who will then load my DLL up automatically on startup.

Now, I'm testing this plug-in with VS 2013 Professional RC.

The thing is, I noticed a bug when setting text styles through the .NET API on AutoCAD 2013 64-bit with VS 2013 Professional RC. If I start AutoCAD 2013 64-bit by pressing the green "Play" button inside Visual Studio 2013 Professional RC, AutoCAD fails to display a few texts that I create programatically. If I open AutoCAD's "Text Style Manager" dialog window, AutoCAD will then crash (and this window executes nothing from my plug-in's code, it just tries to load up the text styles that my plug-in created). However, if I load up AutoCAD normally (without debugging), then the texts display as they should, even with the same DLL that VS 2013 RC was debugging.

If I open the same solution on Visual Studio 2012 Professional, and start debugging my plug-in by starting AutoCAD with the same green "Play" button, this problem does not occur. That is, the texts are displayed normally.

Summarizing:
1 - With VS 2012 Professional, my plug-in creates Text Styles inside AutoCAD with no problems when debugging.
2 - With VS 2013 Professional RC, my plug-in crashes AutoCAD when it tries to display the text styles I created, but only when debugging. If I'm not debugging, AutoCAD bevahes normally.

I added a small solution that is able to reproduce this bug.
Posted by tle.ax on 10/30/2013 at 12:02 AM
Hello,

Some additional notes to my last post:

Same problem in x86 environments and for ACAD 2013. Therfore you can not use VS2013 for developing managed plugins for ACAD any more! We need to use VS2012.....

Please help!
Posted by tle.ax on 10/29/2013 at 5:04 AM
Hello,

I think this problem is releated with the following: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/NET/Visual-Studio-2013-Preview-and-AutoCAD-Blocks-with-Attributes/td-p/4402045

After starting a managed debugger session for a c# project which starts acad.exe (no mixed code, no attatch to process) all text attributes are invisilbe on the draw area of AutoCAD. I use the released version of VS 2013 and ACAD 2014. (I am also using the German version von VS and ACAD... but I do not know if this is important).

Here the VS debugger has very bad side effects on the debugged process. This is new vor VS2013 and was working for VS2012. We are looking forward for a solution because we would need the edit and continue feture of the new 4.0 CLR for x64 envirnoments.....
Posted by Samir Bittar on 9/26/2013 at 6:52 AM
Hello,

Unfortunately, the reason I did not provide additional information is because I am having trouble installing the debugger you suggested in my machine. The web installer provided by the link you sent me is always failing, and I cannot tell the reason why.

Are there any other debuggers I could be using?
Posted by Microsoft on 9/26/2013 at 3:51 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and the .NET Framework. At this point, it has been more than 7 days since we initially requested additional information to reproduce your issue. Since we have not heard back from you we will close the issue. If you need further assistance on this or any other pre-release product issues in the future, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/23/2013 at 7:43 PM
Hello again. We wanted to give you a quick reminder that to efficiently investigate and reproduce your issue, we need you submit the additional information we requested. If we haven't heard back from you with the requested information in the next 3 days, we will go ahead and close the issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/19/2013 at 10:03 PM
Hi,
In order to efficiently investigate this issue, we need here is a minidump file at the point of the crash. Can you please install a debugger on your machine (e.g.,WinDbg), and obtain a crash dump of the crashing AutoCAD process?

You can get the minidump file with the following steps:

1.Download and install WinDbg from the link below:
2.In WinDBG Hit F6 and choose "acad" to attach to the AutoCAD process.
3.Create a dump file if by typing ".dump acad.dmp".

We look forward to hearing from you with this information.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/17/2013 at 2:28 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/16/2013 at 10:51 AM