Home Dashboard Directory Help
Search

FIX: Internet Explorer 11 not detected correctly by .NET 4.0 framework when custom .browser files are used by Mihail Parvanov


Status: 

Active


3
0
Sign in
to vote
Type: Bug
ID: 806542
Opened: 10/25/2013 2:31:46 AM
Access Restriction: Public
2
Workaround(s)
view
4
User(s) can reproduce this bug

Description


I had an issue with Internet Explorer 11 not detected correctly by .NET 4.0 framework. Installing the suggested patches haven't done the trick so after digging deeper into the issue I found that although http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2836939 patch is installed on the server the browser still have been recognized as Mozilla with version 0.0 on the server. After additional research I've found that in case you have any .browser file in your site's app_browsers folder, the version detected on the server is wrong, namely Mozilla 0.0. To workaround the issue I created a custom .browser file in the app_browsers directory with the following content:
<browsers>
<browser id="IE11" parentID="Mozilla">
    <identification>
     <userAgent match="Trident\/7.0; rv:(?'version'(?'major'\d+)(\.(?'minor'\d+)?)(?'letters'\w*))(?'extra'[^)]*)" />
     <userAgent nonMatch="IEMobile" />
    </identification>
    <capture>
     <userAgent match="Trident/(?'layoutVersion'\d+)" />
    </capture>
    <capabilities>
     <capability name="browser"             value="IE" />
     <capability name="layoutEngine"         value="Trident" />
     <capability name="layoutEngineVersion" value="${layoutVersion}" />
     <capability name="extra"                value="${extra}" />
     <capability name="isColor"             value="true" />
     <capability name="letters"             value="${letters}" />
     <capability name="majorversion"         value="${major}" />
     <capability name="minorversion"         value="${minor}" />
     <capability name="screenBitDepth"     value="8" />
     <capability name="type"                 value="IE${major}" />
     <capability name="version"             value="${version}" />
    </capabilities>
</browser>

<!-- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Trident/7.0; rv:11,0) like Gecko -->
<browser id="IE110" parentID="IE11">
    <identification>
     <capability name="majorversion" match="11" />
    </identification>

    <capabilities>
     <capability name="ecmascriptversion"    value="3.0" />
     <capability name="jscriptversion"     value="5.6" />
     <capability name="javascript"         value="true" />
     <capability name="javascriptversion"    value="1.5" />
     <capability name="msdomversion"         value="${majorversion}.${minorversion}" />
     <capability name="w3cdomversion"        value="1.0" />
     <capability name="ExchangeOmaSupported" value="true" />
     <capability name="activexcontrols"     value="true" />
     <capability name="backgroundsounds"     value="true" />
     <capability name="cookies"             value="true" />
     <capability name="frames"             value="true" />
     <capability name="javaapplets"         value="true" />
     <capability name="supportsCallback"     value="true" />
     <capability name="supportsFileUpload" value="true" />
     <capability name="supportsMultilineTextBoxDisplay" value="true" />
     <capability name="supportsMaintainScrollPositionOnPostback" value="true" />
     <capability name="supportsVCard"        value="true" />
     <capability name="supportsXmlHttp"     value="true" />
     <capability name="tables"             value="true" />
     <capability name="supportsAccessKeyAttribute"    value="true" />
     <capability name="tagwriter"            value="System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter" />
     <capability name="vbscript"             value="true" />
    </capabilities>
</browser>
</browsers>

Similar approach is suggested on the following article: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18485339/dopostback-failing-in-ie-11-windows-8-1/19585339#19585339

I would like to clarify that the issue is happening only with .NET 4.0, while with .NET 4.5 the browser and its version are detected correctly.
Details
Sign in to post a comment.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/28/2013 at 4:35 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/25/2013 at 2:50 AM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(http://support.microsoft.com)
Sign in to post a workaround.
Posted by Perticai on 4/2/2014 at 1:18 PM
The .NET Framework 4 October 2013 Update has not fixed this issue.
Posted by nista on 1/2/2014 at 10:15 PM
The .NET Framework 4 October 2013 Update has fixed this issue.
Please see the information at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2836939/en-us
(Issue 2)