HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component by Marcello Rutter

as External Help for as External

Opened: 3/19/2014 3:57:24 AM

Hello everybody.
I don't know yet if this a Visual Studio bug or a third party extension issue.

I have a VS solution with an ASP.NET/Visual C# project.
I add a new XtraReport report (an ASP.NET component provided by DevExpress).
I edit the report inside the XtraReport designer.
I save and I close the solution, then I open it again.
If I try to edit the report I get an error: "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component".
Following is the call stack:

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32 errorCode)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CSharp.Services.Language.CodeModel.CCodeVariable.get_Type()
at EnvDTE.CodeVariable.get_Type()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomParser.OnTypePopulateMembers(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.CodeDom.CodeTypeDeclaration.get_Members()
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.TypeCodeDomSerializer.Deserialize(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeTypeDeclaration declaration)
at DevExpress.Utils.Serializers.ComponentCodeDomeSerializer.Deserialize(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeTypeDeclaration codeTypeDeclaration)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.DeferredLoadHandler.Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextBufferDataEvents.OnLoadCompleted(Int32 fReload)

There is no way to open the report designer but performing some deeper tests, I found that if I remove the solution ".suo" file everything works fine! Moreover I discovered that if I reopen the existing solution and I edit any C# source file, the intellisense does not work; if I remove the ".suo" file and I open the solution again, then intellisense works fine.

It looks like the ".suo" file has some issue with serialization/deserialization. I already opened a ticket with DevExpress but, of course, they answered me it's not an issue with DevExpress product.

I think this issue may be caused by VS itself or by a third party extension but I don't know how can I debug/trace VS (please note that many of the extensions I use, cannot be disabled - I can only uninstall them and it's a problem for me to uninstall all extensions until I found the one which causes the problem - if exists).

Can someone help me with this issue?

Thank you.
Posted by Marcello Rutter on 3/25/2014 at 12:50 PM
Thanks Hong for your answer.

As you can read in my previous comments, I already reported this issue to DevExpress, but they answered to me it's not an issue with their component ...

Kind regards.

Posted by Microsoft on 3/25/2014 at 10:40 AM
Thanks for reporting this issue with us!

Could you please follow up with DevExpress on this issue? It does not look like a bug with Visua Studio.

Thanks.
Hong
Posted by Microsoft on 3/23/2014 at 9:54 PM
Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for review. We will contact you if we require any additional information. If you require immediate assistance with this issue, please contact product support at http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1117.
Posted by Marcello Rutter on 3/20/2014 at 1:23 AM
Hello, thank you for your answer.

Sorry, I know I sent the .suo file only but I thought it was sufficient to analyze the issue. In the new uploaded file please find a complete solution with 4 projects based on DevExpress 13.2.8.

1. TestApsReport is an ASP.NET/Visual C# project (the report is ./Reports/DXReport01.cs). This is a project where I'm able to reproduce the issue (".suo file removed before opening project" ? "all fine" : "error opening designer" ). The report is very simple: it prints an HTML formatted field reading it from a local Jet Engine database.

2. TestApsReportVB is an ASP.NET/Visual Basic project. The report is under ./Reports/DXItem.vb. With this project I'm demonstrating that VB .NET reports are not affected by this issue.

3. TestFrmReportC is a Windows Forms/Visual C# project. Report is ./DXItem.cs. With this project I show that the issue does not affect Windows Forms projects even if they're in Visual C# language.

4. WebApplication1 (= TestApsReport). This is a base yet very simple example that contains a report (./Reports/DXItem.cs). I can reproduce the same behavior as TestApsReport but in this project, I don't use any database at all: we have a report with two static labels.

I think it may be usefull for you to know which extensions are loaded with my Visual Studio instance. Here to you a complete list:

-- VS INFO BEGIN --

Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 - v2.2.11003.1601
Workflow Manager Tools 1.0 1.0
Xamarin.Android 4.10.01073 (d23a19bf)
Xamarin.iOS 1.8.365 (8cb9dbd0)
XtraReports package 1.0
-- VS INFO END --

Please let me know if you need further information.

Thank you for your attention.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/19/2014 at 8:35 PM
Hi Marcello,

Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. I am sorry to let you know that there is no project in your attachment. Only .suo file. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, could you please give us a demo project to demonstrate this issue so that we can conduct further research?

Please submit this information to us within 4 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information. If you require immediate assistance with this issue, please contact product support at http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1117.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/19/2014 at 4:50 AM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If you require immediate assistance with this issue, please contact product support at http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1117.
Posted by Marcello Rutter on 3/19/2014 at 4:02 AM
As mentioned in the original post, removing the ".suo" file before opening the solution avoids the issues. Of course, you need to delete the file every time (maybe exists a VS option to disable .suo file creation, I don't remember right now).
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size