ClearType is always used even when disabled in IE options and Window 7 - by SvenC

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

Opened 9/15/2010 11:10:12 AM
Duplicates 598391 598958 599202 615759 619255 634427 642356 642408 645335 651466 Access Restriction Public

I disabled ClearType in Windows 7 and IE9 but still HTML text always renders with ClearType on.

I disabled ClearType on purpose as it makes takes blurry and washed out on my 17" high resolution laptop display with 1920 * 1200 pixels. Black text e.g. looks grey instead of black.

As Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Always Use ClearType for HTML is unchecked I would expect HTML text to be displayed without ClearType.

Menu, adress bar and dialog text is displayed correctly without ClearType just as I configured ClearType in Windows 7.
Posted by SvenC on 1/19/2012 at 11:06 PM
I cannot find Feedback item 55228. I tried this url:

How can I follow 55228?
Posted by Microsoft on 1/19/2012 at 1:40 PM
Thank you for your feedback. This turns out to be the same issue as Connect Feedback 55228. Please follow the progress of this bug there. Thank you.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Pidgeot on 11/20/2011 at 8:29 AM
Over a year, and still no indication that this will ever be fixed.

ClearType is not a viable solution on all desktop (or laptop) monitors, and Microsoft need to accept this and give us the choice. Feel free to force it on for Windows Phone, but on a regular PC, we absolutely need to be able to turn it off.
Posted by moshe l on 9/18/2011 at 9:45 AM
may It will be fixed on IE10?
Posted by JayConverse on 6/1/2011 at 7:09 PM
I hate Cleartype, always have. I'm an IT pro using more monitors and resolutions and remote sessions and virtual systems than I can count, and it looks bad on all of them. If IE9 forces Cleartype, then I will make sure none of my clients use it.
Posted by MWKSG on 5/26/2011 at 1:55 AM
Please fix this. I would like to roll out IE9 across my organisation but cannot because of the blurry fonts. If the blurry font problem was fixed I would roll out IE9 straight away.

With IE9 my eyes were straining as they were unable to focus on the blurry text. Other users also have the same discomfort.

This problem is seriously harming IE9 market share - it is in Microsoft's best interest to fix this. We will not be the only organisation holding back from IE9 / switching browsers entirely due to the problem.
Posted by Thirtybird on 5/8/2011 at 7:11 PM
Please find a way to fix this bug. This one item, regardless of all the technical achievements that comes with IE9, render the product a failure. Thankfully there are alternatives that can be utilized. Microsoft came to my office for my input on Internet Explorer 3 because they were losing horribly to Netscape and wanted to know what was wrong with the product. If you listen to your customers, you will enjoy success. Until then, IE9 is on par with Windows ME...
Posted by SvenC on 4/28/2011 at 8:50 AM
Thanks DS112233 - the detours trick works like a charm.

Nevertheless an option in the settings dialog would be preferred ;-)
Posted by Kakkarot on 4/4/2011 at 9:49 AM
How long can it take You to make that usable?

IE 9 breaks other browsers in term of speed... That is remarkable... Yet YOU cant solve easy? problem for more than a half of year...

IE 9 is no longer Beta or RC... Yet i cant find any option to turn ClearType.

I worked a lot to make Windows 7 usable without changing it back to stone age - windows classic thame - i changed all fonts to non-cleartype used windows XP font scalling.

In IE9 i can't do that... Why?

Do You realy intend to scrap all comments here? If You want Your browser to be one of best make sure You won't make people to chose between "i can do all" and "You can do as we think is better".

I hate cleartype, as my eyes hates it too... Oh please spare us one more lecture about "better way" You see in CC... let people decide it for themselfs.

I do need to uninstall it again...
Yet more of my time wasted...
Posted by rChaz on 4/3/2011 at 3:05 PM
If the "Document Mode" for a web page is IE9 standards, the Windows 7 ClearType setting (to disable ClearType) is ignored, rendering fuzzy headache inducing fonts through DirectWrite-ClearType. If the "Document Mode" is IE8 standards or earlier, a web page will initially be drawn in the same fuzzy manner, BUT if a user resizes the IE9 app window ever so slightly the page will redisplay respecting the Windows 7 ClearType setting - surely this is a bug that a window resize is required.

Ie, if ClearType is disabled in Windows 7 system-wide settings, resizing the IE9 window will redisplay the HTML without ClearType as long as the Document Mode is IE8 or lower. If ClearType is enabled systemwide, a resized IE9 window will continue displaying the HTML using ClearType. If the Document Mode for the page is IE9 standards, you will have to change it (F12) before IE9 can display it without ClearType because IE9 will not respect the system-wide setting.

Applications that rely on IE for HTML rendering, such as some Outlook versions, behave similarly requiring the the application window to be resized before Windows 7 system-wide ClearType settings are respected, redrawing the page crisply.

Surprisingly, while ClearType HTML pages look horrendous as rendered on my High Resolution monitor, the actual IE9 Application Control fonts (such as for Tabs, the Address Bar, etc.) look much BETTER with ClearType enabled than when disabled in systemwide settings, and are the only elements of IE9 that always observe the Windows 7 ClearType system setting. There are few and far between such elements elsewhere on my system that look better with ClearType rendering. Ideally, for me, the controls would always use ClearType and the HTML page rendering would respect the system-wide setting.

Finally, Firefox v4 seems to have the best of BOTH worlds with its DirectWrite implementation: Their App Control fonts seem very crisp, regardless of system ClearType setting, while the HTML page rendering respects the Windows 7 ClearType settings. So this *clearly* (ha, ha) can be properly implemented.

I have a popular high end graphics card with the latest driver.
Posted by DS112233 on 3/30/2011 at 1:22 PM
I came across this. It's a wrapper for direct write that disables font smoothing. It works perfectly for me - no more fuzzy. All we need now is an IE option to do the same.

Posted by SvenC on 3/30/2011 at 2:12 AM
I must say that I am really disappointed by the communication of Microsoft people about this issue.

Neither the lots of connect feedback items about font smoothing nor the lots of comments on blog posts at blogs.msdn.com/b/ie get reasonable answers.

Frustrating!
Posted by Steve.P.elliott on 3/24/2011 at 2:33 PM
Same here, I wont use IE9 unless I can disable cleartype, using FF4 now as that looks so much better
Posted by MariusAtWork on 3/21/2011 at 9:06 AM
ClearType looks horrible on S-PVA panels such as an Eizo S2433W. Can you please provide an option so that Internet Explorer 9 respects the global Windows setting? Really, I do not care about perfect text metrics! I need to work 8h a day, and I cannot do this with IE9, without getting a headache!
Posted by osirisad on 3/20/2011 at 8:16 AM
give us the ability to turn this off please, I installed IE9 today excited to try it out only to find I can't disable cleartype. until this is fixed I will not be using IE9 as a primary browser.
Posted by bdwhitney on 3/19/2011 at 4:50 PM
This one really needs to get fixed. Just a simple option to disable cleartype font smoothing in IE9. I'm writing this with IE9 and getting a headache. IE9 = unusable for me until this is fixed. Chrome, IE8, Firefox all look fine. IE9 font smoothing is terrible. When I write this "i" the quotes are blurred together and the dot of the i a blurry fuzz ball. really hurts the eyes.
Posted by Tomas2007 on 3/16/2011 at 4:19 AM
"We were able to reproduce the issue and are investigating it."

Would MS be so kind and inform users about the result of the investigation? As the option to turn CT off is not available at all in final IE9, does it mean MS does not care about this issue any more?

Thank you.
Posted by EinmalIM on 3/15/2011 at 4:04 AM
Too bad, that the font issue has been ignored with total silence on connect and the ieblog.

I cannot understand this behaviour of the IE team at all!
Posted by Pidgeot on 3/15/2011 at 2:35 AM
Judging by the comment section over at the IEBlog, it seems this was not fixed, and that subpixel rendering is still forced in spite of the user's preference.

Everything else, I could live with, but this one issue makes it impossible for me to use IE9.

Although I wish there will be a hotfix for this very, very soon, I know that it's very unlikely that there will be any changes in this area until IE10 - so I guess I'll stick with IE8 until then.
Posted by moshe l on 3/15/2011 at 2:32 AM
In IE9 RTM the problem still occures, but the option in "Internet Options" was removed.

It hurts my eyes !!
Posted by taylor0987 on 2/23/2011 at 7:12 PM
Microsoft confirmed this as of 9/26/2010, however, the problem still occurs with the RC. Please repair this issue.
Posted by Maximilian Haru Raditya on 2/15/2011 at 1:19 PM
@DS112233:

Not, it's not WPF that causing blurriness in IE9. They are different stuffs. But, WPF did have the same similar issue in the past. WPF has been doing just fine since WPF 4.
Posted by DS112233 on 2/15/2011 at 11:10 AM
From what I've been reading it might be WPF and not Cleartype that's causing the fuzziness. Whatever's doing it the result is a blurry screen that gives me a headache after a few minutes.
There *must* be an option to switch off all forms of font smoothing.
Posted by moshe l on 2/15/2011 at 12:56 AM
Reproducable on IE9 RC1 - fonts is horrible!
Posted by Adam [MSFT] on 9/26/2010 at 12:34 AM
Thank you for your feedback.

We were able to reproduce the issue and are investigating it.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by thenonhacker on 9/20/2010 at 5:31 PM
Not to mention, the appearance of 8pt Tahoma (used in Facebook a lot) is obviously better in IE8 than in IE9.

It's like IE9 suffers the same blurry ClearType problem of WPF. They behave differently from the ClearType implementation that comes with Windows.
Posted by Jim Billig on 9/15/2010 at 7:45 PM
I have a 1920x1200 glossy display and dislike the blurriness I feel ClearType adds. I've tested changing the setting in IE9 as well as Windows 7, but it will not disable. I also tried clicking the Reset button on the Advanced tab in IE, but that had no effect. Unfortunately, I'll have to revert to IE8 as the ClearType hurts my eyes.
Posted by Peter3412 on 9/15/2010 at 5:59 PM
Me too, the aliasing effect with fonts and clear type make the text look blurred and harder to read. I can't find an option to disable it. "Always use ClearType" is unchecked and its turned off in the personalization settings in control panel.