JPG (image/jpeg) content can only be saved as PNG/BMP when Cache-Control: private set - by Snowknight26

Postponed<br /><br />
		Due to current priorities, the product team decided to postpone the resolution of this item.<br /><br />

Status Resolved Workarounds
Opened 4/2/2011 5:17:04 PM

If the Cache-Control HTTP header is sent and is set to 'private', JPGs are unable to be saved as such when right clicking on the image and selecting 'Save picture as...'.

Example URL: http://media.dancedistribution.com/AC154283.jpg

This probably applies to other image formats as well.
Posted by Louis [MSFT] on 7/11/2013 at 8:46 AM
Thank you again for your feedback Snowknight.

We were able to validate your feedback. However, based on the limited impact this bug may have, we will not be able to address this bug during this release.

Your feedback is very important to us, and it helps us improve the quality of Internet Explorer. We continue to welcome more feedback, so please don't hesitate to report other ways that we can improve Internet Explorer.

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Snowknight26 on 3/22/2013 at 6:39 PM
You're absolutely right. How I managed to attribute the issue to the Cache-Control header instead of the Vary header is beyond me, and I apologize for not noticing it earlier. However, I think my previous points still stand.

Regardless of the specific header I'm glad to see the issue being reproduced.
Posted by Louis [MSFT] on 3/22/2013 at 3:52 PM
Thank you for your feedback Snowknight26.
The issue is understood and we are currently investigating. In my testing the issue doesn't seem directly related to the Cache-Control: private. I wrote a fiddler script to strip off the Vary: * header out of the server side response. I am now able to right click -> Save picture as.. and .jpg is listed as an option. I then retested this time removing only the Cache-Control: private header leaving behind the Vary: * header and I am now unable to save as .jpg.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Snowknight26 on 3/21/2013 at 2:31 PM
The issue, as it is started perfectly clearly under "What are the actual results?" is that JPG is not one of the options that the image can be saved as.

The exact issue is "you are given the option to save the picture however the image type 'jpg' is not one of the options." You can only save a JPG as BMP or PNG, not JPG when the header Cache-Control is set to private.

Maybe it would be everyone's (mine, Microsoft's, anyone who uses IE) if someone from Microsoft contacted me directly so that we can knock out these bugs in a timely manner instead of 2 years later? The lack of collaboration between user and developer, lack of timely releases, or whatever is wrong with 'the IE situation' is beyond disappointing. It's disgusting. It's frustrating. It's everything that's wrong with Internet Explorer's development culture.

PS: New lines are still broken in Connect. What has it been now, 2 months?
Posted by Louis [MSFT] on 3/21/2013 at 1:56 PM
Hello Snowknight26, I have attached a video of my Windows 7 IE 10 RTM PC where I am using the example URL provided in this bug. We do see the "Save picture as option" is enabled when we click on this option we are able to save the image. To clarify what you are experiencing; is the issue you are given the option to save the picture however the image type 'jpg' is not one of the options? Or is the issue that when you click on "Save picture as" nothing happens? We want to clarify the symptom so we can address your feedback.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Snowknight26 on 3/4/2013 at 9:51 AM
How on earth are you testing this? I can reproduce it on every machine.

It's really disturbing that each bug I submit gets a generic response of 'We are currently unable to reproduce this issue as described', followed by me saying 'try again', followed by 'sorry, you're right.'
Posted by Louis [MSFT] on 3/4/2013 at 8:59 AM
Thank you for your feedback.

We are currently unable to reproduce this issue as described with Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16521 (RTM).

Can you please install the released product and retest?

We value your feedback. If you have additional information that can help us recreate this issue — such as a specific url, more detailed steps, test results from different machines, or additional conditions — please reactivate the bug or submit a new bug with more details on how to reproduce the issue. You can also read the guidelines at https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/content/content.aspx?ContentID=16254 regarding filing a good bug report.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Maximilian Haru Raditya on 2/28/2013 at 2:33 AM
I can repro this. This seems a bug to me.
Posted by Snowknight26 on 11/14/2012 at 5:10 PM
Still happens in IE10RP on Windows 7.
Posted by Axel [MSFT] on 7/2/2011 at 8:47 AM
Thank you again for your feedback.

This is not a regression and does't seem to impact core web development scenarios.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Axel [MSFT] on 5/31/2011 at 1:20 PM
Thank you for your feedback.

We were able to reproduce the issue and are investigating it.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Snowknight26 on 4/4/2011 at 11:13 PM
Because Connect hasn't been updated yet, I chose "Internet Explorer 9 Release Candidate" as an answer for "In which application(s) are you experiencing this issue?" even though it happens in the final build.