JavaScript error in res://ieframe.dll/preview.js on Print Preview - by Snowknight26

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 12/5/2012 9:05:18 PM
Duplicates 806193 Access Restriction Public

Printing/viewing a print preview causes a JavaScript error in res://ieframe.dll/preview.js.

Posted by Jon Dack on 11/12/2015 at 8:54 AM
Also, my printers are added by group policy, so a default wasn't set as part of that programming
Posted by Jon Dack on 11/12/2015 at 8:52 AM
OK. So I was playing around with this, and started by removing the OneNote printer, but that wasn't the culprit. I then removed the XPS printer, still not working. Then I noticed I didn't have a default printer set. I proceeded to tag a printer as default, and then hey presto, it all started to work.
Posted by jdgva1988 on 3/9/2015 at 11:05 AM
I was able to get print to work by removing all print devices and then readding only my printer. Unfortunately, now I'm trying to figure out how to get print to OneNote back so I can find out if that print device was the culprint.
Note that this is only a workaround for a bug in the Microsoft IE code that erroneously assumes all devices have a printable area setting. It may not work for all users.
Posted by jdgva1988 on 3/9/2015 at 10:31 AM
I am seeing this problem also. Microsoft staff should be capable of reviewing the code as noted here:
by Snowknight26 on 5/8/2013 at 2:26 PM
and see that clearly there is a bug in the code.
It doesn't take a genius - just someone to care enough to actually look into this instead of a robot who wants to keep his/her response numbers up and doesn't give a hoot about the quality (or lack thereof) of the replies.

I'm a web developer. I wrote javascript to print a dialog box. It works fine in Firefox and Chrome but in IE, I get the error "Invalid Argument" on this line
Invalid argument
oRule.style.top = upTop + "in";
in IE's preview.js file
Posted by Templarian on 2/9/2015 at 1:33 PM
I'm seeing the exact same thing a full year later in IE11. How is this still an issue? The legacy developer tools are opened with line 1905. It appears to just be a NaN causing the issue.

I know you guys are focused on that fancy Spartan browser, but some of us have to still deal with IE11 for a long while.
Posted by Louis [MSFT] on 1/28/2014 at 8:58 AM
Snowknight,
The issue with the F12 developer tools you mentioned will be addressed in a future release of Internet Explorer. We are also tracking this script issue for a possible fix in the future. We will keep this connect bug open to track this issue.

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Louis [MSFT] on 1/17/2014 at 8:44 AM
Snowknight26, I am checking into your question about the F12 devloper tools.

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team.
Posted by Snowknight26 on 1/15/2014 at 9:16 AM
The line number is different because I submitted this bug against IE10. The line number in IE11 seems to be 1905.

Also, when using IE's built-in debugger to debug the error, the old style Developer Tools shows up (IE10 style). Is there any reason why it still exists along side the new 'metro'/'modern' one?
Posted by Louis [MSFT] on 1/15/2014 at 8:04 AM
Thank you Snowknight, I understand. In my testing when I would stop the spooler I also generated a script error however the line number was different so it appeared I was not reproducing the issue you reported. We are investigating this from a generic script error point of view rather than a specific script error. Thank you again for the quick reply.
The Internet Explorer Team.
Posted by Snowknight26 on 1/15/2014 at 5:49 AM
The steps didn't help because, at least in my case, there were no issues with ACLs/ACEs. The problem is that, the scripting error occurs because the printer spooler service is not running. Even though the spooler service is not running, a scripting error should not be thrown.
Posted by Louis [MSFT] on 1/14/2014 at 3:51 PM
Hello Snowknight and Michael_R,

After unsuccessfully reproducing this issue on a number of pc\builds I wanted to rule out some past known issues. Some of these you might have tested on your own but it would be great to know if any of these steps affects the experience you are seeing.

This first test\check has resolved issues seen in the past with printing and IE. I would like to rule it out as a possible cause
- If you open %temp% from a command prompt do you have the 'Low' folder?
        a.    If not can you create the 'low' folder
- If the script error continues open a command prompt and run the following command. You will need to restart the machine after this command completes.
        b.    ICACLS "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low" /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low

Snowknight, when you collected the IEDiag.xml it took an exception during the 'Printer Information' data collection. Would could you please export your print key registry hive? It can be found at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print and attach it to this connect feedback bug?

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Jay [MSFT] on 11/19/2013 at 6:33 PM
Hi All,

I'm reactivating this issue to take another look and hopefully be able to get to the bottom of this.

Jay Hong
Posted by Michael_R. _ on 9/24/2013 at 7:14 PM
I'm experiencing the EXACT same issue as Snowknight26 and It disgusts me that this is "Closed as By Design". If that JS snippet was designed to crash for something as simple as JS variable NaN error, then IE truly does deserve every bit of trash talk it receives. If I could edit that JS file, I could fix this in under 5 seconds with: var upTop = (isNaN(Printer.unprintableTop) ? 0 : Printer.unprintableTop) / 100;
Posted by Snowknight26 on 5/20/2013 at 2:26 PM
I'm not sure I understand the last comment. The is both reproducible and unreproducible?
Posted by Microsoft on 5/20/2013 at 11:44 AM
Thank you for your feedback.

We are currently unable to reproduce this issue as described.

Error will reproduce If the Print Spooler is not set to startup automatically.
To enable Spooler to Automatically start when Windows starts up.
To open Services, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.

To start a service with startup parameters, right-click the service, click Properties, type the parameters in Start parameters, and then click Start. These settings are not persistent; they are used only once, and then the default settings are restored. (A backslash (\) is treated as an escape character; type two backslashes for each backslash in a parameter.)

We value your feedback. If you have additional information that can help us recreate this issue — such as a specific url, more detailed steps, test results from different machines, or additional conditions — please reactivate the bug or submit a new bug with more details on how to reproduce the issue. You can also read the guidelines at https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/content/content.aspx?ContentID=16254 regarding filing a good bug report.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Snowknight26 on 5/8/2013 at 2:26 PM
Line 1791 of preview.js shows the following:

oRule.style.top = upTop + "in";

upTop is NaN. A few lines up upTop is declared:

var upTop = Printer.unprintableTop / 100;

However, the Printer object does not have the unprintableTop property.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/8/2013 at 9:20 AM
Thank you for your feedback.

We are currently unable to reproduce this issue as described. We have recently released updated Internet Explorer 10. If you can still reproduce the issue, please reactivate the feedback or submit a new feedback for the issue. Thank you.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Maximilian Haru Raditya on 2/28/2013 at 1:52 AM
Then why the printer spooler isn't running in your PC? Isn't it supposed to be automatically started upon Windows start up?
Posted by Snowknight26 on 2/26/2013 at 8:57 AM
The issue occurs when the printer spooler service isn't running.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/3/2013 at 8:03 AM
Thank you for your feedback.

We are currently unable to reproduce this issue as described.

We value your feedback. If you have the additional information requested, please reactivate the bug or submit a new bug with more details on how to reproduce the issue. You can also read the guidelines at https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/content/content.aspx?ContentID=16254 regarding filing a good bug report.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Snowknight26 on 12/8/2012 at 11:47 AM
Please do everyone a favor and read what you paste into your comment. The IE Platform Preview is no longer relevant and your instructions are out of date. It's an embarrassment to the people on Connect submitting bugs. I've mentioned this a few times before but as always, everything falls on deaf ears.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/7/2012 at 9:10 AM
Thank you for your feedback. We are currently investigating the issue you reported.In order to test this further we need some additional information:

Please generate an IEDiag report. You can create a report by selecting "Report Issue" from the IE Platform Preview menu bar, and then selecting "Run IE Diagnostics." Please attach the resulting output to this Connect bug

Best regards,