The accelerator button missing in Internet Explorer 11 Preview when a text is selected on the webpage. - by Syed N

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

Opened 7/16/2013 11:19:39 PM
Duplicates 973018 Access Restriction Public

The accelerator button that used to appear on earlier versions of Internet Explorer is now missing in the Preview version of Internet Explore 11.

All the options to make the accelerator enable and disable are available. Making changes to any of these options does not bring it back.

Posted by Alfredo Fettuccini on 7/18/2015 at 2:03 PM
I have the same problem using Bing. I am not sure exactly what the connection is between Bing and IE-11. An uneducated guess would lead me to believe that Bing is just some type of overlay that uses IE-11. If would be nice if someone could clarify it. In any event Bing has the same problem and it is now 2015. I don't get the visual noise. If you are talking about the icon, just don't highlight the word in question. In any event I did check with 'Puff The Magic Dragon' to see if he had any idea where the icon might be. He did say that he looked all over the land of Honah Lee, and it was no where to be found.
Posted by Kimi K on 10/9/2014 at 3:40 PM
What a shame ... So sad to know that Microsoft has removed so useful option. Microsoft, when you decided to remove the accelerator button if you thought that there are right-click protected websites where it is impossible to use the accelerators in current form?

Your decision to remove the accelerator button is not in favor of your browser.

I regret that I write this post only when the option has been removed, but I mean, you still have the opportunity to return it (if not in IE11 then at least in IE12).

Make sure that both parties are happy! As stated in other comments - "Set to disabled by default, and can be manually enabled in the settings?"

"The wolf is stuffed and the lamb in its entirety"

Shame to IE team.
Posted by TheNit on 8/14/2014 at 1:18 PM
With the latest August 12th update of IE 11 (Windows 7), the right-click no longer works to get to accelerators
Posted by 门口-.- on 3/5/2014 at 5:35 PM
“For a significant percentage of users, it was a source of confusion and visual noise in the user experience.”???

Like this:
Set to disabled by default, and can be manually enabled in the settings?
Posted by martinjl44 on 12/23/2013 at 9:37 AM
To state that you (Microsoft) removed the accelerator button in IE11 because "for a significant percentage of users, it was a source of confusion and visual noise......", is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!! Confusion and visual noise!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about dealing with the "confusion and visual noise" of your OS instability instead!
Posted by Peter Soar on 12/17/2013 at 11:04 AM
The removal of the accelerator icon is really disappointing. I used it all the time. Am considering reverting to an earlier IE version or using a different browser.
Posted by Qi Liu DY on 10/17/2013 at 1:50 PM
Very disappointed. I used the accelerator icon all the time, from the time of IE8 on XP. I don't like the decision Microsoft has made to simply remove the feature. A brain-dead (sorry) compromise is providing a toggle. I hope I can readjust myself quickly.
Probably I'm the minority, but I'd like to see the statistics, both for general users and Pro users.
Thanks and good luck to you guys.
Posted by bmxjumperc on 10/17/2013 at 9:33 AM
I liked the accelerator button, that's a shame, most people don't know how to use anything on Windows and make it a hobby to complain. Stop listening to the public and removing great features just because people can't figure it out.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/23/2013 at 2:47 PM
Thank you for your feedback. We have removed the accelerator button in IE11. For a significant percentage of users, it was a source of confusion and visual noise in the user experience. For users who enjoy the functionality (and many of us on IE still do), you can right click on the selection to get to the accelerators.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Microsoft on 7/17/2013 at 10:08 AM
Thank you for your feedback. We will be investigating this issue further.

Best regards,