Windows Media Player Object doesn't work in IE11, OK in IE10 - by Bill_G

Status : 

  By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />
		A more detailed explanation for the resolution of this particular item may have been provided in the comments section.


ID 794629 Comments
Status Closed Workarounds
Type Bug Repros 0
Opened 7/20/2013 7:27:53 AM
Access Restriction Public

Description


This is URL example: works in IE10, but not in IE11

http://www.truro-ma.gov/html_pages/videos/meetingvideo.php?id=BOS-2013-06-19-19:00:00
Sign in to post a comment.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/25/2013 at 6:03 AM
Thank you for your feedback.

This site is using the Windows Media Player plugin combined with browser detection to decide how to instantiate it. With the updated user agent string for IE11, the site no longer sets a "classid" attribute because it doesn't recognize IE11 as "IE". The site does set a "type" attribute instead, but this doesn't work because the Windows Media Player plugin is not registered with IE under the provided type.

We will attempt to outreach to the affected site and control owners to help them update their code so it works by default in IE11. In the interim, the site has been marked for consideration for the CV list to help it keep working for end users.

We continue to welcome more feedback, so please don't hesitate to report other ways that we can improve Internet Explorer.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Bill_G on 7/24/2013 at 6:05 AM
Also, now we find what used to work in FireFox no longer does. IS there a how to somewhere?
Posted by Bill_G on 7/23/2013 at 1:05 PM
This is correct, please provide link to documentation on new user agent string. I was the site owner and will communicate the fix to them.

The current string:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

No longer ID's as IE like it did until Version 11, here is IE 10.
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; Trident/6.0)

Here is PHP code we had used:

if (strpos($u_browserstring, 'MSIE') != 0) {
            echo(' classid="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6">');
        } else {
            echo(' type="application/x-ms-wmp">');
        }
Thanks, Bill
Posted by Microsoft on 7/23/2013 at 12:44 PM
Thank you for your feedback.

This site is using the Windows Media Player plugin combined with browser detection to decide how to instantiate it. With the updated user agent string for IE11, the site no longer sets a "classid" attribute because it doesn't recognize IE11 as "IE". The site does set a "type" attribute instead, but this doesn't work because the Windows Media Player plugin is not registered with IE under the provided type.

We will attempt to outreach to the affected site and control owners to help them update their code so it works by default in IE11. In the interim, the site has been marked for consideration for the CV list to help it keep working for end users.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Microsoft on 7/22/2013 at 1:06 PM
Thank you for your feedback. We will be investigating this issue further.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team