Ghost context menu window left behind when using context menu. - by IECustomizer

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 7/28/2013 9:48:10 PM
Duplicates 808032 808481 808688 Access Restriction Public

After selecting a custom context menu a 'ghost' window of the selected context menu item remains visible on the screen...

this ghost image is persistent and remains visible until another custom context menu is selected.
Posted by Jeff Woehler on 2/23/2015 at 11:41 AM
Work arounds by Sjums on 4/1/2014 at 5:50 AM and dstclair2 on 2/24/2014 at 11:14 AM seems to have nailed it.
Any chance they'll be a fix for Win7/DWM/IE11 soon? Or will we need to provide instructions or group policy change to turn off the 'Fade out menu items after clicking' option?
Posted by fadingfool on 8/1/2014 at 2:42 AM
My machine has just started leaving graphical artefacts after "upgrading" to IE 11 - these can appear in the IE session or any other screen including the desktop background. I have screen grabbed a few but can reproduce almost at will (just fire up IE 11 and go to a few web pages). Win 7 64 - 8GB ram, i7 870 with an ATi Firepro V4800 GPU (so a workstation grade gpu). Shutting down the instance of IE doesn't make the artefacts disappear (needs a reboot) so the problem is still there (also has anyone been able to solve the horrible blurry text problem)?
Posted by ClasG on 1/24/2014 at 4:10 AM
My contribution: it's not related to the IE process itself. It's something it does when installed to one or more of the system DDL's (I guess ;)). I can reproduce this without IE even being started (checked task manager - no iexplore).

If I purge my screen of the artifacts, either by killing dwm (which b.t.w. only seems to solve the problem for a limited number of times), or by changing the screen resolution and then reverting, I get the ghost image every first time I select an item in a context menu.

It's astonishing that you can't reproduce this error, because at my office, three out of three running Windows 7 got this problem when upgrading to IE 11. After my first install of IE 11, it literally littered :D with these ghost menus. I uninstalled and went back to IE10. The problem disappeared. When I saw a security update had arrived for it I hoped it was a "hidden" bug fix for my problem and re-installed it. I believe it got better because now I only get one ghost at the time as I've seen so far. But the problem's still there.
Posted by Mark Herried on 11/26/2013 at 2:25 PM
I was able to remove the artifact by ending task on dwm.exe. I have mostly come across this issue when working on a site that runs via http compatability mode document mode 7.

Click on the Network Tab in IE developer tools caused the browser to freeze up and the artifact remained.

My hunch here is that its related to the new IE developer tool.

Posted by sdr984 on 11/26/2013 at 12:26 PM
My duplicate bug for reference http://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/808032/internet-options-menu-item-never-disappears
Posted by sdr984 on 11/26/2013 at 12:24 PM
I was able to fix this issue by removing all my trusted sites. My trusted sites had https://example.com with 'only https' checked. When I removed the only https box, and changed the urls to *.example.com I stopped having problems.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/26/2013 at 12:14 PM
Thank you for your feedback. We will be investigating this issue further.

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Stanko Ogrin on 11/14/2013 at 4:45 PM
I'm getting the same bug after installing IE 11 on my Windows 7 machine. Everything works fine until Developer tools crashes, usually pressing F12 when a modal window is active in IE and selecting Network Tab (Document mode for attached window is IE8). After that clicking almost any context menu(IE, notepad, word...) will leave clicked context menu item as a ghost image. So far only killing dwm.exe or explorer.exe helped. Also, crashed iexplorer process is still visible in Windows task manager, but killing him does nothing. Please reopen and look into it. Thanks
Posted by Microsoft on 8/1/2013 at 12:40 PM
Thank you for your feedback.

We are currently unable to reproduce this issue as described.

We value your feedback. If you have additional information that can help us recreate this issue — such as a specific url, more detailed steps, test results from different machines, or additional conditions — please reactivate the bug or submit a new bug with more details on how to reproduce the issue. You can also read the guidelines at https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/content/content.aspx?ContentID=16254 regarding filing a good bug report.

Best regards,