IE-11 preview release. No way to turn off tabbed browsing - by razzamatazzer

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

Opened 9/21/2013 7:21:54 PM
Duplicates 814051 815952 862411 Access Restriction Public

Ok-I open a browser to my yahoo email. Then I click a link in an email. It opens a tab in the same browser. I don't like or use tabs. There is no way for me to shut off tabbed browsing in the tools/internet options? I could shut it off in IE-10 and it should be able to be shut off in IE-11....

Update: I figured that out.The next issue is that there is an address bar next to the main address bar and I don't know why and can't find a way to get rid of it?
Posted by Screenwriter on 3/8/2014 at 12:41 PM
Such a simple, handy little option to disable tabbed browsing. So, naturally, you eliminated it. Why assume that everyone is in love with the clutter of tabbed browsing? IE 11 likely has some fine upgrades that I would appreciate. This isn't one of them. Back to IE 10.
Posted by James Snell on 11/9/2013 at 9:28 AM
The design needs fixing then - tabbed browsing was poor UX back in the days when Netscape did it!

I'd be interested to hear about that workaround...
Posted by Microsoft on 10/3/2013 at 12:23 PM
Thank you for your feedback.

At this time we do not plan on making a change to re-introduce the option for disabling tabbed browsing.

Your feedback is helping us see the needs of our users so we can improve the quality of Internet Explorer. We continue to welcome more feedback and look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Microsoft on 9/30/2013 at 1:24 PM
Thank you for your feedback regarding opening links from your web email within Internet Explorer.

You can change a setting in Internet Explorer that will result in the links from your Yahoo mail account being opened in a new window rather than a new tab. To do so, click on the Tools icon (the gear shaped icon) to display the tools menu, then select Internet Options. Click the Tabs button on the General tab of the Internet Options dialog. Under the setting titled "When a pop-up is encountered:" choose the radio button "Always open pop-ups in a new window."

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Microsoft on 9/23/2013 at 12:36 PM
Thank you for your feedback. We will be investigating this issue further.

Best regards,