IE10 on W8 and IE11 on W8.1 crashes - by Ralph Bley

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 11/1/2013 6:55:43 AM

Several times a day, at random web sites, I get the all-too-popular "internet explorer has stopped working" message.  I have tried all of the troubleshooting steps that I can find (uninstall IE and let it automatically re-install, compatibility mode, disable all add-ons by using the "-extoff" switch, resetting everything to the default settings, clear cache, etc) but nothing has stopped the errors.  The only thing that sometimes works is to change the browser mode to IE9 by using the developer tools (F12).  That's fine for one-time workarounds, but it is not a solution.  Yesterday, Outlook 2013 crashed following a "IE has stopped working" message and I could not restart Outlook (no preview pane, no HTML email open).  IE kept recovering the website, and the only way I could get Outlook to start was to completely terminate IE.  At that point, I could start Outlook and then start IE again.  A co-worker just upgraded to 8.1 and the crashes appear to be even more frequent under IE11.

Most of the official responses seem to blame add-ons, security settings, and a myriad of other things.  Once users rule them out, things get very quiet from support.

Honestly, I don't care to hear the excuses of why IE10/11 stops working.  FireFox works, Chrome works, IE9 works - FIX IE10/11 so they work.  Users (no matter how technical they are) do not care about the reasons for changing security settings, HTML, etc.  They DO care about the fact that it is not functional.  I realize that MS is trying to force sites and developers to conform most closely to industry standards.  But let me provide some feedback on that effort - IT IS NOT WORKING AS INTENDED!  The only thing that MS is accomplishing is frustrating users of IE10 and IE11.  I have never used anything other than IE as my primary browser, but I have reached the point that I am going to try switching to FireFox.

While I was typing this post, it happened again - no other browser tabs open, all add-ons disabled, and IE froze with a nice " is not responding" pop-up at the bottom of the screen.  I had one option - close the window, lose my entire post, restart IE, and start from scratch.

I am now closing IE and changing my default browser to FF until 1) I see some hard facts that MS is addressing this, or 2) something simply doesn't work in FF, at which point I will try Chrome, and as a last resort I will see if it will work in IE, possibly running in IE9 mode.

Sorry MS - you really blew it with IE10 and IE11.
Posted by Louis [MSFT] on 11/25/2013 at 1:19 PM
Ralph, I sent you an email with a private upload location.
Best regards,
Louis Shanks [MSFT]
Posted by Ralph Bley on 11/25/2013 at 1:07 PM
I cannot upload any of the dump files, even after they have been compressed because each of them are greater than 50mb (total is about 325mb). I was able to create 4 dumps in less than 2 minutes, including one going to the connect site with all addons disabled.
Posted by Louis [MSFT] on 11/25/2013 at 10:40 AM
Hello Ralph,
    Thank you so much for the URL's we have been testing them against our IE 11 Windows 7 and Window 8.1 systems and so far we haven't reproduced the crash. This leads us to believe we have some differences between our test systems and your system. We would like to isolate the crash you are experience so we can continue our investigation.

If you are still able to reproduce the crash could you please download debug diag from

1)    Once installed open debug diag and select the rule type 'Crash' and click next.
2)    Under Select target type select 'A specific process' and click next
3)    In the text box next to Selected Process please enter iexplore.exe and click next
4)    Under the Advanced Configuration please just click next
5)    Lastly in the Select Dump Location please take note of the location where the dump file will be written. You can change this to another location if you wish. Click Next then Click Finish.

Once you have reproduced the crash open the folder location from step 5 above. Locate the file ending in .dmp. Please compress (zip) this .dmp file(s) and upload them to connect.

Thank you for your assistance in the investigation.
Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Ralph Bley on 11/18/2013 at 1:01 PM
Some of the issues I've seen are with and (or pages launched from those sites). Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the problem - a site will work one time and fail immediately after. ESPN very often launches dozens of instances (windows, not tabs) of a page when I try to view an article, but again it is not consistent. Also, as I mentioned in my post, the connect site has even caused IE to stop responding.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/14/2013 at 8:20 AM
Thank you for your feedback Ralph.
I'm sorry that you've had such a bad experience with IE10/11. We want to make your experience using IE11 enjoyable. Can you help us to figure out what is going wrong by sending a list of urls that are causing problems?

Best regards,