IE11 Emulation Screen - Document Mode and User Agent dropdowns blank for all sites - by P0K

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 11/8/2013 7:31:33 PM
Duplicates 808720 Access Restriction Public

On one of my Windows 7 computers, which is part of an Active Directory domain (although another person on the domain does not experience this issue with IE11), the IE11 F12 emulation document mode and user agent dropdowns are completely empty and blank (on my non-domain Windows 7 computer, this issue cannot be replicated).  The issue occurs for any site I visit, and persisted even after a complete reset of IE settings.
Posted by Ryan Hendry on 2/16/2015 at 5:56 AM
For people still experiencing this issue, please attempt the solution detailed in the accepted answer for this Stack Overflow question: http://stackoverflow.com/q/23490161/2938293

This fixed the issue for me.
Posted by Flown on 2/9/2015 at 8:22 AM
I was able to solve the problem (IE11 on Win 7 Enterprise x64 SP1) doing this:
1) created a new folder 'ie11tmp' under c:/users/username/
2) internet options > tab general > section 'browser history' > settings
3) tab 'temporary files' > move folder > use the created ie11tmp from 1)

I'm not sure how the tabs/buttons are spelled in english, I use the german version.
After restarting, the emulation tabs were filled and everything looks ok now.
Posted by egc52556 on 12/30/2014 at 1:23 PM
Still broken in v11.0.9600.17501, Update Versions: 11.0.15 (KB3008923)
Posted by Roger Willcocks on 12/15/2014 at 3:37 PM
I've got 3 versions of a site

For the first 2 I get entries in the Document Modes, etc
For the last one I do not.

This is via a terminal server.
Running on different servers does not have this issue, so it is specific to one site from one server

Noticed because the missing Document Mode causes web fonts to fail to download.
Posted by Richard Deeming on 12/11/2014 at 10:32 AM
Not fixed with the December updates. (11.0.9600.17498)
Posted by Richard Deeming on 11/13/2014 at 11:18 AM
Not fixed with the November updates. (11.0.9600.17416)
Posted by Richard Deeming on 11/6/2014 at 8:19 AM
Not using AppSense here. And adding / updating those values in the registry didn't fix the problem for me.
Posted by iocean7 on 10/30/2014 at 1:05 PM
None of the workarounds in this thread or the other threads I've seen on this issue has worked for me. After a lot of analysis and testing, I've found that in almost all cases, importing the following registry entries from a working user profile has resolved it:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation]
"TLDUpdates"=dword:00000000"UnattendLoaded"=dword:00000001
"CVListTTL"=dword:00000000"CVListXMLVersionLow"=dword:178dc9c2
"CVListXMLVersionHigh"=dword:10000000"IECompatVersionHigh"=dword:10000000
"IECompatVersionLow"=dword:178dc9c2"StaleCompatCache"=dword:00000000
"MSCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000001
I haven't yet been able to determine root cause as to why these entries aren't getting created normally in my environment, but the underlying problem appears to be missing registry entries in the user profile for the affected users. Is anyone else experiencing this issue using management software like AppSense?
Posted by Richard Deeming on 10/16/2014 at 8:07 AM
STILL not fixed in the October updates.
Posted by Richard Deeming on 9/12/2014 at 4:53 AM
Not fixed in the September updates either.

Please define what you mean by "the latest IE11"!
Posted by Jeffsletterbox on 9/10/2014 at 11:25 PM
Confirming what Richard Deeming said.

"Posted by Richard Deeming on 8/13/2014 at 5:50 AM
This issue is NOT fixed in the August updates (11.0.9600.17239). The document mode, browser profile and user agent string drop-downs are all empty unless IE is elevated."

Using same version of Internet Explorer and experiencing the same problem. However running with elevated rights does not resolve the issue.
Posted by Richard Deeming on 8/13/2014 at 5:50 AM
Posted by P0K on 7/31/2014 at 4:22 PM
I presume that "resolved in the latest IE11" means will be resolved in the next release, rather than is currently resolved in the production release. Using the latest patches from Microsoft Update gets me to 11.0.9600.17207, at which version the original issue still persists. The workaround described by Novotny.Czech of running Internet Explorer as administrator does work for me though (as distasteful as it is). I will check again after the next monthly release.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/31/2014 at 3:42 PM
Hello P0K,
We wanted to follow up on this issue, the issue has been resolved in the latest IE11. We wanted to thank you again for providing feedback on how we can improve.
Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Charlie Frater on 5/28/2014 at 1:46 AM
Just been 'force' updated to IE11 from IE10 via windows update in my work environment and now I see the blank boxes.
I'm using Win 7 Enterprise x64 and don't have administrator rights as it's a work PC and also can't create a new user profile (as I've seen that as a 'solution' on other threads)

Being a web-developer, this is a rather annoying issue as I don't have the facility to install a virtual machine so use the document mode to make sure websites I'm building are not broken for older browsers (I know this is not a true representation but it's the best I have access to)

Any updates on when this will be fixed?
Posted by Flown on 2/16/2014 at 11:39 PM
Same problem here with Windows 7 Enterprise x64. When started with "run as administrator" the dropdowns are filled.
See also http://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/816150 and https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/817289
Posted by Tony Kleier on 1/21/2014 at 2:13 PM
I am having the problem with IE11 on Windows server 2012 R2 with users who are connected with Remote Desktop Services. This worked at some point when IE11 was first installed. Now the Document Mode and User agent field strings are empty. I need this working for a critical payroll web site to work properly. Any ideas when this may be fixed?
Posted by Novotny.Czech on 1/16/2014 at 4:06 AM
You must run Internet Explorer 11 as Administrator (Right click -- Run as Administrator). Then you see both options.
If you have not admin rights ,thats bad. :(
This looks like some restrictions in new Explorer, because in IE10 version this works under user profile.
I hope i helped.
Posted by JKGatsby on 12/5/2013 at 11:08 AM
Turned on my PC today and the IE11 options for both Document mode or User agent string are now shown.
But IE11 still fails at several web sites because of an invalid user agent string.
Using Fiddler on the PC with BAD IE11 the user agent string is: Mozilla/5.0 (MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
Using Fiddler on the PC with GOOD IE11 the user agent string is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
As before, the user agent string contains "MSIE 9.0", causing browser JavaScript to use deprecated and removed functions such as window.attachEvent.
I even went to Compatibility View Settings verified this website list was empty and unchecked both checkboxes:
    Display intranet sites in Compatibility View
    User Microsoft compatibility lists
By changing the user agent string to Custom in Developer tools and using this user agent string "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko", the websites with problems work without problems.
Summary - the "Default" user agent string contains "MSIE 9.0" in the bad IE11 and does not in the good IE11.
Posted by JKGatsby on 12/5/2013 at 12:51 AM
I have the same problem with Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on an HP All-in-one Model 23-1014.
Tried but failed to find missing Document mode options or User agent string options in registry or files on another PC with these options.
Uninstalled IE11 and reinstalled without success.
This reason this is a problem is the user agent string contains MSIE 9.0, which causes JavaScript to fail to find deprecated and removed functions such as window.attachEvent.
I verified this on both working and non-working machines with IE11 debugger and Fiddler.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/26/2013 at 2:45 PM
Thanks for your feedback P0k!

We have reproduced the issue and are investigating it.
Let us know of any other issues you come across. It well help us make IE the best browser possible!
Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Geoffrey Vancoetsem on 11/12/2013 at 2:26 AM
I have the same problem: Windows 7 Pro, x64, French edition, in my company Active Directory domain.
I have uninstalled by the past the MSIE 11 Developer Preview to return to a stable IE10 state, several weeks ago.
Last week I have installed the final IE11 release and got same problems.

I tried to uninstall IE11 to return to IE10, then I removed IE10 from Windows programs and features, then try to install IE11 again (several reboots between each action). No luck.

It's a shame because I use frequently the document mode feature to test our Web applications compatibility...