IE 11 will not reopen last session tabs - by JulianRDWinter

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 11/25/2013 11:01:08 AM
Duplicates 1110364 Access Restriction Public

IE 11 will not reopen last session tabs whatever I set in options. This was a problem with IE 10 (see I had the issue the whole time I used IE 10 - and in fact stopped using it because there was no fix offered apart from telling all the people who reported the problem that it wasn't really a problem. Take it from me it is a real problem - I know IE inside out, it is not a settings issue.
Posted by Louis [MSFT] on 8/6/2015 at 3:08 PM
Thank you for all of the feedback. We redesigned tabs in MS Edge to improve the overall experience for everyone. We are always looking for feedback about how we can continue to improve the tabbed browsing experience.

The Windows 10 upgrade is free for the first year so I would encourage you to install the upgrade to take advantage of the improvements we have made to tabs in MS Edge.

Best regards,
The IE\MS Edge Team
Posted by gleej on 7/6/2015 at 2:02 PM
I can fix it, if after closing it here in widows7, I do ctrl-alt-delete and end the ie 11 process that is showing . Then after that ie 11 starts with all tabs from prior session.
I remain floored and disgusted, that such a simple fix for 'ms coders' is still a headache for loyal windows desktop users. Im almost ready to go full on mac ms!!
Posted by DaKrunch on 3/5/2015 at 6:46 PM
I am hoping that the new browser in Windows 10 (Codenamed Spartan) doesn't have this issue that IE has.
Posted by user556 on 2/19/2015 at 6:16 AM
No fix since 2013. Should I ditch IE for Firefox?
Posted by Microsoft on 6/30/2014 at 12:48 PM
Thank you again for your feedback.

Unfortunately, we are currently unable to address your feedback in the current release. We will consider fixing this issue in the future and we will keep this feedback item open and active to track this issue. Every piece of feedback we receive is important to us and helps us improve the quality of Internet Explorer.

We continue to welcome more feedback, so please don't hesitate to report other ways that we can improve Internet Explorer.

Best regards,
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Shakhan on 6/20/2014 at 11:58 AM
Good day JulianRDWinter ! Pleased to meet and hopefully help you in the process of this reply to your request.

As of late. I've solved this problem with the simple work around of closing the entire active IE11 session every time before restarting Windows 8.1. I let the system fully reboot all active background services and automatic startup applications that I rely on a daily basis. Then I execute IE11 and all the open tabs in the last order of the last session is fully loaded in an un-paused state ["as if"] Windows 8.1 simply chose to do a "ReadyBoost" memory dump in an emergency scenario.

This took me some trial and curiosity to come to this conclusion of how to best cope with this subtle limitation of IE11 as Microsoft's Dev teams progress to improve the browser moving forward.
I truly hope this helps you along the way Julian. Take care and happy computing ! :-)
Posted by Anoop Chargotra on 6/7/2014 at 6:17 PM
I can also reproduce this. Especially when I open IE 11 after rebooting the system.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/26/2013 at 7:41 AM
Thank you for your feedback. We will be investigating this issue further.

Best regards,