(IE Bug) I can't play WebM and OGG files - by Tech-Mike

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 3/18/2014 8:22:49 PM
Duplicates 848685 Access Restriction Public

Hi,

I was on some video website today and I click on these two videoes (.ogg and .webm) and they wouldn't play for me. So, then I try another browser on one of my other computers and it worked. So, I did some research and I found IE doesn't support WebM and OGG video files. Is it possible for IE to add support for these two files formats in a future verison of IE? I was just wandering because it would be nice play these type of video in IE someday.

P.S. - Here a link to another post, I did to address a bug and some suggestions fot IE: (Thanks)  https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/834594/new-ideas-for-ie-in-the-future-improves-bug-for-pop-up-blocker-feature
Posted by VlaudTheImpaler on 5/18/2014 at 2:11 PM
I am also having this problem with webm gifs. I am using a surface pro.
Posted by EricLaw [ex-MSFT] on 4/10/2014 at 12:44 PM
Just to add some context here: IE doesn't support WebM / OGG for legal reasons; it supports the use of 3rd party decoders for those formats only (provided by an OSS project).

However, notably, these decoders are not available or possible for WindowsRT so Microsoft Surface/Surface2 users cannot use them.

WebM and OGG are used by a handful of sites like Wikipedia.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/28/2014 at 10:36 AM
Hello Tech-Mike,
You mentioned your other feature suggestion https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/834594/new-ideas-for-ie-in-the-future-improves-bug-for-pop-up-blocker-feature and I wanted to let you know that it is still
under investigation/consideration. As soon as we finish the investigation, we will post our resolution.

Thanks again!
The Internet Explorer Team
Posted by Tech-Mike on 3/20/2014 at 1:35 PM
Great thanks, Internet Explorer Team.

Also could you also maybe take a look at one of my other post, for feeback:

Thank you!!!
Posted by Microsoft on 3/19/2014 at 11:57 AM
Thank you for your feedback!

We will be investigating this issue further.

Best Regards,