I would like to see the property "StartType" added to Get-Services - by Bob Landau

Status Active Workarounds
Type Suggestion Repros 3
Opened 3/18/2009 2:51:42 PM

Briefly the motivation for this is so you can query all services that should be running but aren't.

This is a typical Admin type of task for checking the health of a machine.  While this can be done using a WMI query the data you get back is not as rich as what Get-Service returns.

This is how you would use this feature once Get-Service had this property

Get-Service | ? {$_.StartType -eq 'Auto_Start' -and $_.Status -ne 'Running'}

What I'm asking is extermely unlikely to break anyone, requires a minimal amount of code churn and would benefit _many_

btw:

I did look for a way that didn't require using the registry but was unable to find any other solution that wasn't much more complicated. Also the registry values under

HKLM:\system\currentcontrolset\Services\<ServiceName>

have been around since at least NT 3.5 if not NT 3.1 so is extermely unlikely to change.

thx for considering this
bob

Posted by Matt McNabb on 7/20/2015 at 6:41 AM
It would be great if the StartType also supports Automatic (Delayed), which WMI does not.
Posted by m.vermeer on 6/12/2015 at 12:05 PM
Its ridiculous! Its not even in Windows 10?!
Posted by Charles Palmer on 2/27/2015 at 6:26 AM
I would find this method very helpful. I have numerous processes dealing with multiple services that have a common porting of the display name. Therefore I use a wildcard to retrieve all services with that common name piece. I then pipe that to Stop-Service or Start-Service. The problem occurs with Start-Service when I pipe in a service that is set to disabled. While it doesn't break my process, it makes "ugly" errors for my less knowledgeable help desk when they run the commands I wrote for them. If I could easily filter out StartupType = Disable with Get-Service, problem solved. I am trying to figure out how to do a wildcard search with WMI to get the same list I get with Get-Service and then start the services that aren't disabled.
Posted by Joel 'Jaykul' Bennett on 2/4/2014 at 9:31 PM
This is a dupe of https://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/details/416680
Posted by Pawel Lakomski on 3/21/2013 at 12:36 PM
I am really supprised it is still missing in W2K12. I wish it was added to the next release :)
Posted by andrefurtado on 10/16/2012 at 6:50 AM
Although I posted a workaround I agree it should be incorporated to powershell; It should be native.
Posted by Roman Kuzmin on 3/30/2010 at 7:13 AM
Yes, this is a pity that such important information is missed. WMI solves the problem (see workaround) but this way requires some extra steps not obvious for everyone, perhaps. Built-in Windows GUI, BTW, provides this column in the service table.