Usibility: Missing a standalone Query Analyzer (reopen issue) by mdgraves

as By Design Help for as By Design

Type: Suggestion
Opened: 9/10/2007 4:44:37 AM

I suggest again - same as closed idea (Opened By eulenspiegel : ID 240524 ). In earlier Versions of MS SQL Server the Query Analyzer was a standalone application, but now it is integrated in the Management Studio. Our business user community has 'power users' who have used QA in Read-Only mode in the past. Now, as moving forward, I am required to load the Mgt Studio for them to enjoy same functionality via customized unattended installation file. These users do not need the fully integrated Mgt Studio, and additionally they complain of the SLOW performance on startup (as all DBAs have noticed) in 2005 Studio. ........................ Additionally, please do not remote support for OSQL, as we have many batch processes (CMD files) using this tool.
Posted by Eeve on 3/27/2009 at 8:28 AM
I would also like this tool available for 2008. But they won't b/c it means less people having to by the big, expensive package.
Posted by kickabear1 on 2/14/2008 at 8:39 AM
QA 9.0 is written and complete. Microsoft refuses to allow the author to release it. He's even asked about open sourcing it, but they refuse. In my opinion, this is a mistake. It's a great tool. It's lightweight, fast, and popular. The primary complaint I hear from other DBAs is the absence of QA. It's been two years since I've used the SQL 2000 tools, but I still find myself missing the simplicity and speed of Query Analyzer.
Posted by Eric [MSFT] on 10/25/2007 at 11:52 AM
Currently, the product theme is to integrate one-off tools and provide an integrated workspace experience. The performance is one of top priority criteria that we continuously enhance within our product.

Currently SSMS supports 4 start up mode:
1. Open Object Explorer
2. Open new query window
3. Open object explorer and new query
4. Open empty environment.

2 or 4 could provide lightweight startup mode.

The option can be set on SSMS | Tools | Options | Environment | General page.

Posted by Hippunky on 9/30/2007 at 8:22 AM
I'd rather see more effort put into speeding up the performance of SSMS - it does seem overly slow in certain areas - the area that most gets my back up is when drilling down on a stored procedures node - this takes 10-20s to complete in some circumstances.
Posted by Adam Machanic on 9/16/2007 at 3:36 PM
If you don't like SSMS, there are plenty of third-party tools available. Personally, I see no benefit in a standalone query tool.
Posted by Gary Wells on 9/13/2007 at 3:29 AM
Hi. It is not documented and probably not supported - but you can use SQL Server 2000 Query Analyser to connect to a SQL Server 2005 database engine instance. I often do this from one of our 2000 servers that is running 2000 SP4 2187 and run queries in QA against some servers running 2005 SP2 3186. :-)
Posted by Microsoft on 9/12/2007 at 12:41 PM
Hi Graves@gapac,
    Thank you for your feedback regarding the desire to have a lightweight code editor provided by SQL Server. We have no plans to provide this capability for SQL Server 2008. In the meantime, there are several "freeware" solutions available. We will consider this for a future major release of SQL Server.
Bill Ramos
Posted by TiborK on 9/11/2007 at 9:56 AM
I'd take it even if it means that it means stripping down QA and removing things like Object Browser. I can understand if resource constraints mean that all the "fluffy stuff" is too much work, but a simple fast-loading query execution tool (with syntax colouring) would be a great companion to SSMS. And, preferrably distributable on its own...
Posted by MacKnife1 on 9/10/2007 at 11:31 AM
I agree. Management Studio is an unwielday piece of software and not at all suitable for business users, and there are a lot of them that like to run their own queries. A tool such as Query Analyzer would be great, in fact I'd love to use such a tool myself so that I don't have to load up the Management Studio behemoth just to run a simple query.
Posted by mmarcoslevantina on 3/23/2009 at 9:10 AM