The size specified for a binding was too small - by Pieter M

Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />

ID 219329 Comments
Opened 10/6/2006 1:20:43 AM

In a SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services project I have the following problem:
when a column width is changed (e.g from 5 to 6) in the relational database and I refresh the dsv in the analysis services project. Not in all places the column value gets updated. When I check the dsv and the dimensions containing this column is set to the right value.
But when I deploy and process the cube I get  the following error:

Errors in the back-end database access module. The size specified for a binding was too small,
 resulting in one or more column values being truncated.
Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while processing the 'Gefactureerde Dienst' partition of the 'Gefactureerde Dienst' measure group for the 'FMR DWH Afgenomen Dienst' cube from the FMR_Kubus database.

When I check the XML of the cube I see that not all widths are updated to the new value.
Posted by RajibDotnet on 3/22/2012 at 3:46 PM
Helped me...a trickier one...though
Posted by Valentino Vranken on 3/20/2012 at 1:08 AM
Thank you Darren for mention the BIDSHelper's Dimension Data Type Discrepancy Check feature, it certainly does the works!
Posted by pungit on 12/13/2010 at 1:19 PM
My employer has SSAS on SS2005 and we use the services to support Sales Order analytic's. When I was recently asked to add several fields, drop several others and to add width to several more, most of my work went relatively smoothly. That is until I modified my source feeders (dimension and fact tables). The problem arose when I took a program group id and sales rep id field and added the respective description/name to the fields. This took the fields from 15 character original format to 80 characters.
I found all updates and processing performed properly when (from within VS2008/BIDS) I processed the dimension structure (from Solution Explorer - Dimension - Customer (right click Open) then click on the recycle wheel to process the dimension). Except I received the error noted above.
My solution was relatively simple; In the same Dimension Structure pane of the server explorer, I selected the attribute (field) and then hopped over to the Properties pane and walked through the KeyColumns and NameColumns settings to verify they matched (80=80).
Unfortunately sometimes edits don't make it through (MS Bug) and this needs to be checked/validated. A quick chig-a-tee-boo later and where 80 = 15 (WRONG) was now corrected to 80=80 and fixed.

In all development and maintenance should not rely on automated solutions to always work, so you should have a fall back plan to know-how to correct your code by object if need be. The work around's listed on the following page lead down the same path.

Cheers!
Posted by jvickers on 12/16/2008 at 7:03 AM
This problem still exists in SSAS 2008
Posted by Microsoft on 12/7/2007 at 1:44 PM
Thanks for reporting this issue. Currently the UI provides no means for automatically updating the design of the cube to reflect changes made to the relational data source. This is a complex area which we are hoping to address in a future version.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/9/2007 at 1:13 PM

- Matt Carroll
Posted by Microsoft on 10/6/2006 at 12:00 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. We will investigate and get back to you.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/6/2006 at 11:59 AM
Thank you for reporting this issue. We will investigate and get back to you.