SQL2005 Maintenance Plan - Maintenance Cleanup using wrong age group - by Dave Dustin (Springer)

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 1/3/2007 3:24:53 PM
Duplicates 251889 260871 Access Restriction Public

As part of one of my maintenance plans, I've got an action, which according to the designer should remove all old backup files in a particular folder, older than 3 days.

However, when it runs, and according to the logs, it's looking for 3 weeks.

If I change the period to 4 days, it runs/logs as 4 weeks.

I've just changed it to 3 hours, and that gives me the 3 days I need, but I'd really prefer to use the Days value.

Note:  Deployed Server is 2005 Ent SP1+hotfixes.
SSMS is 2005 Dev  SP2beta on a seperate machine
Posted by Anand [MSFT] on 10/22/2007 at 12:00 PM
Hi Venzann,

Thank you very much for reporting the problems you had with SQL Server 2005 SP2 tools. We have since issued a fix the regression you mention in KB 933508.

Please let us know if the KB article addresses the original issue you mention.

Anand Doshi
Posted by Dave Dustin (Springer) on 3/7/2007 at 10:31 AM
KB 933508 appears to have corrected the issue for me.
Posted by Dave Dustin (Springer) on 3/7/2007 at 10:30 AM
yes. This bug appears to be fixed. I applied the hotfix to my managment machine, having previously applied SP2 (which did not resolve the issue).

All maintenance cleanup tasks now present the correct values, when talking to either a SP1 or SP2 machine. Correct values are also used when running the scripts (display says 4 weeks, files older than 4 weeks removed)
Posted by Microsoft on 3/7/2007 at 7:25 AM
The recent refresh of the SP2 release, and the simultaneous issuance of KB933508 will address your problem. Please read the KB, and either download and install the patch or install the current SP2 release, based on the guidance in the article.
Posted by Razvan Socol on 3/6/2007 at 9:44 PM
Is this bug fixed by the update described in the KB 933508 ?
Posted by Dave Dustin (Springer) on 1/8/2007 at 11:58 AM
You can see the actual valees used (and the tsql) if you View History of the maintenance plan which has the Cleanup Task.

No worries about not being able to get it in this release. I should have logged the issue earlier, but I only discovered it late last year, and then with christmas didn't get a chance to research it.

Dave
Posted by Microsoft on 1/8/2007 at 10:23 AM
Thanks for reporting your problems getting sp2 tools to properly delete old files on an sp1 or earlier server. I have commenced the creation of a KB article to describe this problem and tell users what their options are. Regrettably, it is too late to fix the error in the SP2 release.

If you could reply, pointing out where you looked in the logs to find out the actual interval that was used to age old files, I would appreciate it. I didn't see the interval laid out in so many words in those locations I looked. If the KB article included that info, it would make it easier for users to confirm that they were indeed suffering from this issue.

Thanks again for your support,

jkh
Posted by Dave Dustin (Springer) on 1/7/2007 at 2:09 PM
That could lead to some difficulties in environments where some systems are upgraded to SP2, and others are left at SP1 (or even RTM), but are all managed using a SP2 installation of SSMS.

I have tested against a SP2 server and the time periods are correctly used.

Dave
Posted by ChrisAVWood on 1/5/2007 at 8:06 AM
I would suspect this is because only SP2 allows the hours as an option. Prior to SP2 the lowest period was days. If you updated the server to SP2 it should work as expected.

Chris Wood