OVER clause enhancement request - DISTINCT clause for aggregate functions - by Itzik Ben-Gan

Status Active Workarounds
Type Suggestion Repros 15
Opened 1/28/2007 11:55:01 AM
Duplicates 350940 Access Restriction Public

SQL Server 2005 introduced only partial support for the OVER clause. It is our strong believe that a more complete implementation of the OVER clause should be prioritized highly in consideration for future enhancements in SQL Server. A more complete implementation of the OVER clause can help in solving many common business problems with simpler, more intuitive, and faster solutions than available today and also substantially reduce the need for cursors.
The following paper details the feature enhancement requests:
The current feedback item addresses the OVER clause enhancement request - DISTINCT clause for aggregate functions, discussed in the paper in section 4 item vi.
Posted by theAnonGuy on 3/5/2013 at 7:04 AM
It's really frustrating that this feature is not included in SQL Server 2012 also !
Posted by shadybyte on 1/10/2013 at 12:47 PM
I really hope this feature is a part of SQL Server 2012 because I just tried to use it in 2008 and came here to find it's not supported. I'm using something like the code below to get the result.

SELECT     COUNT(DISTINCT IPAddress) AS DedupedUserCount
FROM        Referrals AS R
GROUP BY R.Website
HAVING     ReferralTime >= '2012-10-30' AND ReferralTime < '2012-10-31';
Posted by Iain Elder on 10/31/2012 at 10:23 AM
Say you are reporting on a price comparison engine.

In a given time period, you want a count of how many users clicked through to each website whose prices you compare.

On the assumption that users make at most one purchase per website per day, you want to dedupe the cases where users click through many times.

The Referrals table contains one row per click-through.

To get this deduped count for yesterday, you should be able to write

SELECT
COUNT(DISTINCT IPAddress) OVER (PARTITION BY Website) AS DedupedUserCount
FROM Referrals
WHERE
ReferralTime >= '2012-10-30' AND
ReferralTime < '2012-10-31'

This fails with the disappointing message

Msg 10759, Level 15, State 1, Line 11
    Use of DISTINCT is not allowed with the OVER clause.

Plamen Ratchev provides a workaround (see Workarounds) using the DENSE_RANK function in a subquery and the MAX function.

But we should be able to do it as declaratively as the SQL grammar allows!
Posted by Professional The on 11/3/2011 at 12:38 PM
It would be nice to be able to use the result of an OVER clause in a where clause too. I'm always having to make wrappers just to filter the result of an OVER clause.
Posted by Erickson Winter on 5/6/2011 at 8:21 AM
I use the over() clause quite a bit and it's been very useful, however only now am I really wanting more functionality from it, so figured I'd bump this thread. I'm good with workarounds, and not entirely sure I, "need" additional functionality, however it would surely lend itself to more elegant solutions.

-- sql 2008 r2, mainly using over() for data warehousing, or tweaky ad hoc reports,
-- DBA, New Belgium Brewery
Posted by ErikEckhardt on 12/14/2009 at 6:05 PM
If we could nest ranking functions this would do the same thing (of course, we can't so this code doesn't work):

SELECT
    X,
    Y,
    Rnk = Max(Dense_Rank() OVER (PARTITION BY X ORDER BY Y)) OVER (PARTITION BY X)
FROM (
    SELECT 'a' x, 1 y
    UNION ALL SELECT 'a', 1
    UNION ALL SELECT 'a', 2
    UNION ALL SELECT 'b', 1
    UNION ALL SELECT 'b', 1
) Z
Posted by ErikEckhardt on 12/14/2009 at 5:53 PM
Count(DISTINCT Col1) OVER (PARTITION BY Col2) would solve my problem perfectly! I need to know if the number of items is different than the number of distinct items. Solving this another way will be tricky.
Posted by Jeremy Holovacs on 9/15/2009 at 7:08 AM
yes this would be very helpful. I'm sitting here frustrated over my inability to do this.
Posted by solleyman on 3/10/2009 at 4:37 PM
I am a big fan of the ranking functions and partition by clause. I used them extensively. It was a fantastic inclusion in 2005. However, I can't tell the number of times I wished DISTINCT worked with the count function. I can't believe it wasn't included in 2008!! So I've added my vote to get this in ASAP.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/13/2007 at 3:33 PM
Dear Itzik.

Thanks a lot for your feedback... and the strong voting support for this feature. Indeed, as you know, I am very much in favor of extending our functionality in this area. For a variety of reasons we did not get this into SQL Server 2008, but we are certainly looking into it for a future release.

Keep the votes and comments coming...
Michael

PS: My apologies for the late official reply...